Excellent Renditions

Classical Music of North India
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

RC
sometimes the kid inside me gets the better of me , and i cannot help it.

just last week i watched the movie How green was my valley-so many years after reading that nostalgia classic.

For somebody just touching that halfway mark of 50 , the road ahead looks as exciting as the road covered,
and so thoughts flow !!

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Dear K-jI,

Might u have a detailed version of Pandit Bhimsenji's BhAgyAda Lakshmi bAramma? Not the quick 2 mins song he usually sings in concerts, but perhaps a more detailed renedition....? Just wondering...Thanks i advance if you can post it!!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mahesh3
regret i dont have such a version.
the most detailed one i have heard is the one on the musicindiaonline site ..

the best one i have heard,though , is by one jayawanthi devi ;) ;)
i may take a lot of time locate it though

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the song on a cassette (HMV SFHV 849083). It has songs by Bhimsen Joshi and Jayavanti Devi.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Mahesh3:
A 6.5 minute rendition by Bhimsen Joshi is available here:

http://music.cooltoad.com/music/category.php?id=10366

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
No hurry, but I would like to hear some of Jitendra Abhisheki's music. I have heard him in concert a few times in the 80s and was really taken by the inward looking quality of his music. No fireworks, no gimmicks--just soulful rendering...
Thanks!
Last edited by arasi on 05 Aug 2006, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Abhisheki !
Ah ! I like to think of him as the Kalyanraman of Hindusthani Music..
Both flowered a bit too early and got lost in the crowd.And died early too ..

There is something in their music that haunts you for ever.

edited and removed

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

His son Shaunak Abhisheki , sitting behind him , has performed at chennai last year -for Viswa Kala Sangama..

meena

Post by meena »

kji

the first 2 clips are they also renderd by Pt. Shaunak Abhisheki?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

All of them are by the father-Jitendra Abhisheki.

Shaunak has been releasing albums only recently and i Dont have his recordings from Radio ..

shanks

Post by shanks »

The two tracks of Abhisheki are wonderful. Have not listened to the tarana yet.

Can someone throw some light on the rag Suha.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I have a special regard for Abhisheki's music. Glad you are enjoying Coolji's offerings. The tarAna is lovely and it brought to my mind the 'nalanthAnA?' scene from TillAna MohanAmbAL!
Last edited by arasi on 10 Aug 2006, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
You are kind, indeed. That mArwA! My next request, after a reasonable interval of course, was going to be mArwA! I was going to ask for Gangubai's. But Abhisheki too does justice to the raga, no doubt...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Shanks
I will tell more about Suha , the only way I can-with anecdotes.

Gangubai , recalls , in an interview about a nice incident.

Her Guru, Sawai Gandharv , had not taught her this raga for many years , inspite of many requests.
Why do you want to learn this ? he qould query and leave it at that.

Once, he had been away from Hubli for a long duration and Gangubai seized a chance to sing this raga for AIR Bombay -she had taught herself, obviously.
But it so happened that her Guru had cut his visit short and was already at Pune when this was broadcast.
And as Gangubais train from Bombay to Hubli steamed into Pune Station , she was horrified to see him getting into the same compartment .He was also travelling back to Hubli.
No sooner as they had settled down , he proceeded to give her a verbal hiding and taught her this raga all the way back to Hubli , right there in the compartment .

no need to hold back your requests.they are a pleasure.
the last time a member wanted to repay me for a gangubai track , he rang me up , alerting me that there was a film festival of documentaries at Sathyam Cinemas and he was waiting there , with a Pass for me.
These favours have a way of coming back to me , always.
I entered the cinema hall just in time to catch gangubai , suppressing her tears , when reminded of her daughters passing away ( No parent should see their offspring pass way in front of their own eyes - it is an indescribable pain -she was lamenting ).
But , gritty lady that she is, she came back with a smile , all in a mtter of seconds.
She started telling a story of how she had stayed with friends at delhi for a live broadcast at Delhi and upon returning home late in the night , she asked the youngest member how he liked her music , and pat came the boys reply
Hey ! No they changed the program i guess.I was in a friends place.
Some other male singer was singing , but it was good !!:D:D
No wonder , she came back after a Cancer surgery , in her throat , and gave a concert at belgaum last year , at the age of 90.

edited and removed

arasi

Post by arasi »

Coolji,
ananta kOTi namaskAram...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Cji, what a great anecdote for that powerful rendition. I wish there is someway to associate or attach your anecdotes with the clip so that they are never separated as time passes. For now, the mental association will suffice. :happy:

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

Associating the anecdote with the rendition is easy. If you are using windows XP, go to 'properties/summary/advanced/lyrics' of the MP3 file - the column will save up to 2000 charecters. It can contain an entire karnatak kriti. It is easier in Hindustani - just copy the entire anecdote and paste it to lyrics. If you so wish write the words 'see lyrics' in comments column. When the file is uploaded, these entries remain intact.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Without Xp
I used to store the word doc as well as the clip in the same CD with a hyperlink to the Clip available on the word doc.

vasanthakokilam

murthyhmg, that is a cool idea. And it satisfies the purpose nicely. If lyrics are available, I can add it there as well, space permitting. The text should move with the file even when transferred to portable devices.

As you suggested, I also added 'see lyrics for anecodotes'. In the folder view, I added the 'comments' column, so the comment is displayed in place along with the file name and other properties.

Also, since these are mp3 tags, for platforms that do not support tag editing, one can always use a separate mp3 tag editing program. In fact, there is a 'user text' field in ID3 V2 tags which can be used for such anecdotes if we want to store both lyrics and anecdotes. I do not see a way XP allows entering the 'user text'.

Thanks very much.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

this is indeed a great idea.
For ipod users lyrics can be added to theTitle under advanced. It will flash on the screen while playing the song.:cool::cool:

vasanthakokilam

Yes. That reminds me, the iTunes program can be used for editing ID3 tags. Even itunes does not provide a editable 'User Text' field. But the 'Lyrics' field is there.

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

One more important suggestion. Don't forget to add - Coolkarni at the end to all those anecdotes provided by him.

Mr. Kulkarni posted a piece of Fateh Ali Khan of Pakistan. unfortunately it is deleted now. I downloaded Megh and Bhupali of the singer from sarangi.info - a Pakistan site. If anyone wants i can upload it. Nice singing.
Last edited by murthyhmg on 11 Aug 2006, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

murthysaab
just provide the links that will help members to visit those sites and download as per rules existing there.
It will avoid you the worries associated with uploading ..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

coolkarni wrote:This one is for Ravi to decode what the musician is trying to say ,
in so many ways...:D:D
http://rapidshare.de/files/28730168/fat ... tainer.mp3
Kulkarni Sa'ab,
Just saw this: I love it...he is saying so much, and in such chaste language, I do not think I can do justice to the translation...suffice it to say, he makes a VERY romantic statement..

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

very very romantic ....

vasanthakokilam

Now I am getting curioser and curioser...Try the translation even at 50% fidelity..

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

What a coincidence. That was Fateh Ali Khan - Bhopali. When i downloaded this piece, i was in the process of uploading the same. longer and more detailed version. i am uploading Bhopali and also Megh in about 30 minutes.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

VK
I cant help a guffaw.

Fateh Ali looks really 50% Fidel there in that song , with his roving eye.
:cool: :D:D::cool:

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

Megh and Bhopali are already posted in the other thread by abadri. The longer version of Bhopali is altogether a different type. Lovable.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Coolji,

You were mentioning about documentaries of prominent musicians.....is it available for sale by doordarshan? Please let me know if you aware of places that sell the same if they are for sale. Would love to have them and show it to my kids periodically.

sumati

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

sumram
one was a movie by mani kaul on siddheswari devi ( it took him 35 years to complete the project !) and the other was a NFDC production on Gangubai.

Recently Doordarshan came out with a promotional video , showcasing all the projects -released till date plus the ones in pipeline.
I will try and get that CD back-doing the rounds with friends- and see if i can give a brief idea of all those albums in the forum.
In a few weeks time...

meena

Post by meena »

Kji

the kedar was a delight, thanks a bunch. I was reading abt her on musical nirvana:
She is the acknowledged master of Tappa, a composition with fast phrases
can u pl. u/l a clip of an artist rendering 'tappa' thanku

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

yes.
If you only confirm that you wear a seat belt while hearing it.
Her Tappas can take you to dizzy heights -mind boggling..
will be up shortly

http://rapidshare.de/files/29823706/mal ... e_clip.mp3

subram

Post by subram »

Kulkarniji,

Kya baat hai. Maza aa gaya. A big thank you. Regards.. PNS

coolkarni wrote:yes.
will be up shortly

meena

Post by meena »

kji

that was superb piece. Are there any other Gwalior gharana performances who are also 'masters' of tappa?

vasanthakokilam

coolkarni wrote:yes.
will be up shortly

We want more.. more.. more.... It sounds so dynamic but yet simple in construction. It is hard to execute with swara suddham and speed. The attraction is also the artist's manodharma of when to provide the kArvai and when to sing at breakneck speed continously..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes: that was too short, but SWEET...and we want more of it. Can we hear more tappA (or is it tAppa) tracks?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

edited and removed
Scan any material on Malini and the word tappa and tharanas are sure to pop up in the first few lines.
I remember watching an interview with Amjad Khan and to the question
Which is your most forgettable movie ?
and he answered
Sholay .. without doubt.The role of Gabbar Singh.
And he proceeded to explain to the shocked interviewer that the success that followed his portrayal of Gabbar Singh put an end to all his hopes of becoming a great actor.The rest of my life i have been playing the same kind of roles , in different forms , and making a living out of it -he mused.
Mercifully a classical singer need not be typecast in a similar way
(though some in the audience do their best by shouting Matha kalika , or bhavani dayani , the moment they see the faces of their heros on stage)
Malini is also an artist with a Test Match temperament .Can build those big 80 minutes plus khayals
BTW the Kedar that you heard was from a similar rendering.
edited and removed

Fortunately she is an artist well represented in the Commercial albums.
lots and lots of tapes have been published...

bdeepu

Post by bdeepu »

Dear Mr. Coolkarni,
coolkarni wrote:here is a great malkauns rendering by Fateh Ali Khan (param - this is not nusrat fateh ali )
a pakistani singer whose recordings I have heard only recently after getting them from -who else? - Raju Asokan.
And I have been simply bowled over by this artist .
Here is the part of the track where he launches onto a sweet composition and a tharana.simply amazing stuff.

Are you talking about this song on the http://homepage.mac.com/patrickmoutal/m ... l/rag.html website? If yes, I'm unable to locate it on that site. I could find only Darbari there. If you mean it is on that megaupload site, that reads to a broken link. :-(

Having read those lyrics, I'm now really eager to hear that Malkauns rendition.

Somebody, anybody, please help!

Thanks and regards,

Kanti Dattani

Post by Kanti Dattani »

Hi bdeepu

Fateh Ali Khan, born 1933, Patiala gharana

I like his voice. I think he is a great singer. I have three CDs by him
1. ACCD1038 Megh, Malkauns and Khamaj
2. ECM1442 Ragas & Sagas with Jan Garbarek Saxophone, vocal support Deepika Thathaal, sarangi Nazim Ali Khan and tabla Shaukat Hussain Khan.
3. Emi863270 (7243 863270 2 4) duet with brother Amanat Ali Khan, 3 tracks Malkauns 14, 6, & 9 minutes and 3 tracks Yaman 12, 10, & 8 minutes

(CDA94015 & CDA94016 - did not buy these CDs - good music but poor recording - heavy bass)

Email kantidattani@aol.com for further information. I am not in music business and don't sell CDs. I buy CDs from all over the world. I am in UK. CDs are cheaper in India and USA.

Kanti Dattani

varsha

Re: Excellent Renditions

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?70y16c9vhb19cuh

Venkatesh Kumar sang a fine Maru Behag yesterday at the Music Academy. The link above is an older version of similar duration, sung in a remote part in Karnataka.
http://www.mediafire.com/?rfz6rtpcf9ujqt6
This is delightful part in a lecdem where this raga is tackled.

and.
A fine rendering by AT Kanan in Maru Behag.
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzg9ccl2cvlo1kt

Read more about this delightful singer here.
http://www.itcsra.org/sra_news_views/ob ... kanan.html

varsha

Post by varsha »

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roJTGpPN2xI

pl look here for some fine AIR national program recordings that are being curated and shared
cheeers

varsha

Post by varsha »

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHdu-s_DR0
Raag Basant Mukhari · Ranajit Sengupta

varsha

Post by varsha »