Lata turns 80 !

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Nightingale of India, the one who has given immense pleasure to the listeners, young and old alike for the last 50 years or so turns 80 to-day. Let us all join the millions of people all over the world in greeting this wonderful singer and wish her many many happy returns of the day and pray to the Almighty that she would continue to enthrall us for years to come. Here is my all time favorite of this mahan kalakar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5v0E7ZA1vs

Regards

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Heartiest congrats. the one most admirable quality is that unlike her sister, she has never swerved from the path of avoiding songs with very bad and double meaning lyrics. she has set a high standard for selecting songs gobilalitha

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sam,
Thanks. She started singing at least sixty years ago, I would think!

Many many more birthdays to Latha Mangeshkar! Happiness and health to her who made millions of us happy with her song!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

An astonishing career.

How much joy she must have brought to millions of listeners and fans --- perhaps more than any other musician in the world?

Long may she live and continue to make people happy

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

True Sam. Madan Mohan who unfortuately passed away at an early age had created many many pleasant melodies fpr her.The song posted by you from the film Mera Saya in the raag nand is a very pleasing composition. Lata only could have done justice to this melody.. not many music directors have composed in this raag gobilalithaa.

Sam Swaminathan

And here is a delightful piece by Lata in the company of SPB in the only tamil song she has ever sung in tamil movies...

http://www.hummaa.com/music/artist/1528 ... ongs/Tamil

Sam

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sam Swaminathan wrote:And here is a delightful piece by Lata in the company of SPB in the only tamil song she has ever sung in tamil movies - Sam
Sam - that is not correct - she sang the tamizh version of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ri2iAx3D8, yenadu kaNNALan karai nOkki pOgirAn nadIyE nI meLLa pO

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sam,
She sings in tamizh better than some tamizh speaking ones, I think!

Ravi,
A Dilip Kumar film, and I have missed it! The song stayed on the Binaca Geetmala hits chart for a while! The woman who rows (??!!) the boat is Nimmi, I think. Who is the other one? Yes, the song is endan kaNNALan, but her accent wasn't as good then as it is in the song with SPB.

Sam Swaminathan

Ravi...I stand corrected. Thanks