what is this raga

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
arasi

Post by arasi »

Radhika,
I only have a ear, or rather two, both of which are getting to be a bit sluggish in hearing...:)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

cmlover wrote:Nice rhythm VK! Good for a tango dance. Notes are Sankarabharanam.
Is it kOkiladhvani :)
Thanks CML. Notes are not Sankarabharanam ones. May be you are latching on to a different sruthi. This is in C# ( 1 .5 kattai )

Hint on the raga: There is only one composition in this raga and that is not by the trinity.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

arasi wrote:Radhika,
I only have a ear, or rather two, both of which are getting to be a bit sluggish in hearing...:)
My doctors, son and daughter in law, convinced me to accept my disability and advised me to go for hearing aid and I did.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Aha!!! I have 2 more companions in sluggish hearing. In my case it was my wife who compelled me to go for a hearing aid,which I did. She used to be irritated whenever I asked her to repeat what she was telling her neighbour. She used to say' get a hearing aid if you are interested in vambu' i used to say 'so you admit that you are only talking vambu!!
Though I have drifted hundreds of miles away from the main subject,just joking gobilalitha

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
in that case I may not have heard this raga. But I liked the rhythm and melody. Listened to it a few times. You may as well let us know...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Dayavathi

S R2 G2 P N2 S
S N2 P M1 G2 S

The only composition I know of in this raga is by N. S. Ramachandran, a beautiful thillana which MLV has sung.
Here is the previous discussion on dayavathi ( http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... avati.html )

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I would never have guessed!
A rose by whatever name smells good; kokilam sounds sweet and rhythmic called by whatever raga!
Your playing has improved tremendously.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
For some reason, I couldn't download it. Could you please send it to me?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Just heard your playing (part of it? I had problems even now).
The rhythm really got you and you rock! Sounds folksy too, to me. I loved the occasional punches you give to the tune--the final pa (pow!) rounds it all up.
From an original vasanthakOkladhwani to a never heard rAgam based composition. CML is right, you are making strides...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is definitely mian-ki-malhAr.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Lakshman,
You mean 'nain se nain'?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

No I mean the utube song. nain so nain is in bAgEshrI.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Of course, bhAgESri, but I wondered if it could be rAgESri!
There have been several , including VK's and I got mixed up! Sorry :) So, my guess about the malhAr family was not way off the mark.
Last edited by arasi on 05 Nov 2009, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

No, no, Arasi - the gandhar is komal gandhar in 'nain so nain'- Bageshree. For rageshree you need shuddh gandhar (antara gandharam).
Looks like we have hijacked the discussion from the song in question to 'nain-so-nain' --sorry, rasikas!! :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Radhika,
I see!

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

I just found this info from Abhijit Bhaduri's site:
There are just a handful of hindi film songs based on Raga Malgunji. Nain So Nain Naahi Milaao from the film Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje is one of them.

Malgunji is a complex Raga of the Khamaj Thaat. John Campana describes Malgunji as having elements of Rageshri, Bageshri and a few subtle touches of Jaijaiwanti. It is popularly described as being a combination of Raga Rageshri (in the ascent) and Raga Bageshri ( in the descent). If traditionally Bageshri evokes feelings of separation from the lover, and Rageshri represents reunion, Malgunji depicts the initial realization of the reunion.

So that's another new raga we've learnt.
Lovely raga! Now someone needs to play it at a rasikas' gathering!
And Arasi should compose something in it!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

A fine example of mian ki malhar is a Surdas bhajan by Pandit Jasraj, shyAm binA, available at musicindiaonline.com

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/jJX ... As1NMvHdW/

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I found out that mAlgunji uses both tIvra and kOmal gAndhAras whereas bAgEshrI uses only the kOmal ga.

KMH

Post by KMH »

I looked up Malagunji in B Subba Rao's Raganidhi. An unbelievably detailed description, with swaras used in pakads (?pidippu in our parlance), and examples of chalans (sancharams). He points out that this is a Audava-Sampoorna raga (and a possible shadava-sampoorna variety), but does not mention the Rageshree angle at all, while saying it is sung with a bageshree anga. He quotes two compositions in Malagunji, "Baname charavata Gaiyya" in Ek Tal and "Muraliki DhunaSuni" in Teental. (does any rasika have a rendition by anyone?) He adds that Madhuradhwani, Hamsakankini and Patamanjari - both of Hindustani style - resemble Malagunji. I have heard Patamanjari (which is similar to carnatik Phalamanjari), but can't remember when or where! The other two are totally unknown to me. Interestingly, he says Natakurinji has shades of Malagunji, although only antara gandharam is used in Natakurinji, while Komal ga is used in Malagunji.