Malayalam Film Music Composer MG Radhakrishnan

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
raghavt

Malayalam Film Music Composer MG Radhakrishnan

Post by raghavt »

Passing away of MG Radhakrishnan is yet another huge loss for Malayalam Film music. MGR is a fine Carnatic musician and I had attended his concert (long back somewhere in early 90s, when I was a school-boy :tmi: ) He had fine raga sense. Some of the songs that I like include:

1 Ambalapuzhe Unnikannanodu Nee - Shankarabharanam, from the film Advaitham
2 Orumurai Vandu Pattaya - Ahiri & Kuntalavarali versions, from the film Manichitratazhu
3 Vande Mukunda Hare - Rare sopana raga - Samantha Malahari (this raga info courtsey The Hindu, I couldn't recognize) from the film Devasuram, sung by himself

The list is not exhaustive. He belonged to the leauge of Sri Dakhinamoorthy and Raveendran.

~ Raghav.

VK RAMAN

Re: Malayalam Film Music Composer MG Radhakrishnan

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sorry to hear the demise of MG RadhakrishNan. Great loss to the fans and the movie world in Kerala.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

State bids adieu to M G Radhakrishnan
Posted on: 02 Jul 2010
Thiruvananthapuram: Renowned music composer and singer M G Radhakrishnan passed away at a private hospital here on Friday noon. He was ailing for almost a year now and for the past one week he was in a critical condition undergoing treatment for liver ailments at a private hospital here. He is survived by his wife and two children. He was 70.

His cremation was held with full state honours at 4 pm at the Thycaud Shantikavadam. Earlier thousands from different walks of life paid homage to veteran music director. His body was kept at Swathi Tirunal Music College to enable the public to pay their last respects to their beloved composer, which was later taken to his `Medayil' house .Thousands of mourners, young and old, women and children, students descend on the college in droves to have a last glimpse of their dear musician.Chief Minister, other Ministers, Speaker ,Musicians, film fraternities have paid tribute to the great musician.

Beginning his career as a singer, he sang his first song in 1969 for 'Kallichellama', but he felt his strength was in music direction and made his debut as a composer with director Aravindan's 1978 movie 'Thampu'. In his almost three-decade-long career, he composed music for more than 30 Malayalam films.

Born on 8 August 1937 at Haripad in Alapuzha as the son of Malabar Gopalan Nair, who was a famous singer and accomplished harmonist, and Kamalaskhi Amma, a singer and well-appreciated Harikatha artist besides being a school teacher. Noted singer M G Sreekumar is his brother and singer Dr Omanakutty his sister.

A senior music composer, his compositions for films and light musics has earned him a coveted place in the minds of music lovers. After Thampu , he gave music for films like Thakaran, Aravan, Jhan Ekananu. Geetham , Jalakm , Nomarathipoovu, Adhvitham, Manichithrathazhu, Agni Devan etc. Till recently, he was associated with the All India Radio in a very senior position.

He was the favourite of ace directors like Bharatan, Priyadarshan, Padmarajan, Fazil, Venu Nagavally, and Shaji Kailas. His last film was director Santosh Sivan's 'Ananthabhadram' in 2005. Reacting to the demise of Radhakrishnan, Priyadarshan said: 'In my first film itself, he composed the music and, if I am not wrong, he has scored the maximum number of films for me. We all feel that despite being a great performer, he did not get due recognition.'

Many of the films for which he composed music became all-time hits of Malayalam film industry including, 'Manichithrathazhu' and 'Agnidevan'.

He bagged the Kerala State Film Award for best music director for the film Achaneyanenikkishtam in 2001 and Ananthabhadram in 2005, which was his last composition.

His music life got wings after joining All India Radio in 1962. He had rebdered music to many light music songs for Akashavani. Radhakrishnan had introduced famous singer K. S. Chithra into the music industry .

anumk9

Post by anumk9 »

What is the significance of ragam samantha malahari? Is that used in any other kirthana?