OP Nayyar is no more!

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/2106/

'ik pardEsi OP sa'ab kO lE gayA,
jAtE jAtE mITha mITha dhun lE gayA':(

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/c ... lbum.3464/ to listen to some of his songs! He will go down in history as the man who survived after spurning Lata (a la Harry Potter - the boy who survived!)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Chain Se Humko - Asha Bhosle

his best , in my books.
as well as asha bhosle's best.

Now if only Sriram can sing this for us !!!!

divakar

Post by divakar »

his music is easily identifiable by the trademark 'horse galloping' background in most of his songs.
one of my favorite music directors.

vijay

Post by vijay »

I will vote for Babooji Dheere Chalna from Aar ya Paar. Many other unforgettable scores to soak up Guru Dutt's dripping pathos...Mr and Mrs 55.

A handsome and colourful character, the end of his relationship with Asha Bhosle is said to have broken him considerably. He spent his last days dispensing Homoeopathy from a modest flat in Bandra - there was a very moving interview with Chandan Mitra in Indian Airlines' inflight mag sometime back...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

My favorites:
इक परदेसि मेरा दिल ले गया
जाते जाते मीठा मीठा गम दे गया - the picturization on Madhubala was fantastic...

दीवाना हुवा बादल - the beautiful, beautiful song from kASmir kI kalI - Sharmila was absolutely radiant in this number....

आप यूङ् ही अगर हमसे मिलते रहे
देखिये एक दिन प्यार हो जायेगा

and the other all time favorite is:

आंखोन् से जो उतरी है दिल् मे
(क्या बात है उस परवाने मे)
खुद ढूंढ् रही है शम्मा जिसे
क्या बात है उस पर्वाने मे?

The bolded words were problematic for me to transliterate. I will put these up in the Languages thread as well for Arun to help....

meena

Post by meena »

The song lives on...
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

divakar

Post by divakar »

my fav. song from 'Ek musAfir Ek hasInA' is
"hAn mujhE dEkhkar ApkA muskurAnA"

rshankar: i wonder how you got the language script.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Moved the last several posts to the transliteration thread in the languages section. Let this thread be :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you...OP sa'ab will be grateful!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

It's interesting to note that OP-ji worked mostly with lyricists Sahir Ludhianwi and Majrooh Sultanpuri. And I don't think he has Lata singing any of his songs! He must have faced lots of obstacles, knowing what we know about Lata-ji...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Jayaram, read the first post....

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ah, of course it's all there! Thanks Ravi.
Perhpas Sriram can sing a few of OP numbers, as a homage to this great composer.

my favorites:
1. Pukaarta chala hoon mein
2. Deewana hua baadal, saawan ki ghata chaayi...
(both by Rafi-saab, whose golden voice is haunting)
Last edited by jayaram on 03 Feb 2007, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

wonderful songs picked from hundreds.chhotasa balma akhiyan from film raagini by asha, the song opens with a first line full of birghas.in the raaga Rageshwari,I think, producing a soothing effect, another difficult song "phir miloge kabhi is raat ke . duet by rafi and asha, rafi begins the song in a calm manner , but skyrockets to a very high octave in the second line ' hamse ek aur mulaqat', just like the sea waves suddenly rising to a high crescendo, after 2 lines asha takes over in a pacifying manner. it is in the film 'ye raat phir na aayegi ' Pl hear them from any of the old songs link I take a challenge. none of the current computer music directors can create such melodious songs gobilalitha.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

An all time favorite from rAginI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNsfX5mgik

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Thanks,R Shankar, did you hear the songs mentioned by me inpost 13. Am I not correct?"o podu "for the song chhotasa balama.. where does she get those birghas ? one more favourite of mine PREETAM AAN MILO BY C H ATMA . OP Nayyar still lives. At this old age of77, I think back of the golden age of hindi film music of the forties to seventies, when I was a member of op's fan club, contributing regularly to SCREEN, whenever an op's film was released . joyous old memories. gobilalitha

arasi

Post by arasi »

Indeed, Gobilalitha!
prItam A milO still plays at your heart's strings!

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nandagopal,
Thank you for the 'zulfEn' song. It was obscure in my memory because of that more popular duet 'mAng ke sAth tumhArA'. Interestingly, while OPN, LudhAnvi, Dilip and Vyjayanthi stayed in my memory, I discovered just now as to how catching the beat is too. There is more to it than just the bhangrA. And that fade away 'Ah and Oh' singing between the verses is just as enjoyable as the song itself!

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

arasi: my pleasure.. you make it "come alive" for me, considering that i wasn't even born when these songs were made! hope Mr. and Mrs. Gobilalitha enjoyed it as well - to think there was an OPN fan club and I missed out on all that!!!

for those who want to sing along -

ude jab jab zulfein teri
kavaariyon ka dil machle, jind meriye
oh jab aise chikne chehre
to kaise na nazar phisle, jind meriye
ho, rut pyaar karan ki aayi, ho oh
rut pyaar karan ki aayi
ke beriyon ke baed pak gaye, jind meriye
kabhi daal idhar bhi phera
ke tak-tak nain thak gaye-
ho, us gaaoo pe sawar kabhi sajke, ho oh
us gaaoo pe sawar kabhi sajke
ke jahan mera yaar basta, jind meriye
paani lene ke bahaane aaja
ke tera mera ik rasta, jind meriye
ho, tujhe chaand ke bahaane dekhun, ho oh
tujhe chaand ke bahaane dekhun
to chhat par aaja goriye, jind meriye
abhi chhedenge gali ke sab ladke
ke chaand beri chhip jaane de, jind meriye
ho, teri chaal hai naagan jaise, ho oh
teri chaal hai naagan jaise
re jogi tujhe le jaayenge, jind meriye
jaaye kahin bhi magar ham sajna
ye dil tujhe de jaayenge, jind meriye
ho, dil leke daga de oh
yaar hai matlab ke ye denge to kya denge
duniya ko dikha denge oh
yaaron ke paseene par ham khoon baha denge
Last edited by knandago2001 on 26 Jul 2008, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Deleted
Last edited by rshankar on 26 Jul 2008, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,

Here you go: you can see the lovely face that Dilip Kumar wanted to gaze under the pretext of looking at the cAnd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSoYs6BvXQ8

What an elegant grace - truly twinkle toed!

I guess that Smt Yadugiri Devi (Smt. Vyjayantimala's grand mother) was still alive when this movie was made (going by her outfit)!

Nandagopal,

Thanks for the lyrics! I do not remember the last lines being sung ever. Interesting sentiments - 'yArOn kE pasInE par hum khUn bahA dEngE'! And you are right, these movies were made much before our times, but I have felt a timeless fascination for them for as long as I can remember, and some of it came alive for me when I saw these movies on the sole channel that DD broadcast on in 'those' days! I wonder if the badongo version that you posted is a remix version. It does seem different from the original audio of the youtube track that I posted from the movie.

Is this the barsO rE clip from phAgun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ptFGUIx7o

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Je suis ravi...!
And a bonus too--I saw that put-together madhubala and Dilip snip which played E hawA E rAt E chAndni. Whose lovely lyrics, I wonder. One of Rafi's melting melodies. The sangatis too!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Gobilalita, I am not able to locate the clip for chOtA sA balmA, and will post it for you when I find it.

But, can you listen to this clip and tell us (if you know) why OPji chose Rafi to sing playback for Kishore Kumar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0130bb ... re=related

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Gobilalita,

Please analyze this for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKFalJWn ... re=related

This is for you (although it is one of my favorites too).

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Let those members who like classical tunes in hindi film music, hear the song chhotasa balma posted by RShankar(if not heard), and enjoy it. In.the song's first line OPN has utilised Asha's birgha laden voice to perfection. The melody of the song leaves you spellbound .Another song in the same vein is 'chain ko hum ko kabhi' from 'PRANJAAYE PER VACHANNA JAYEIN' ..It also makes me sad ,as it was the last song byAsha forOPN,

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Regarding choosing Rafi for Kishore in the song,MAN MORA BAWRA, I feel kishore himself would have suggested Rafi's singing . There seems to be no other reason .. gobilalitha

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

arasi

Post by arasi »

'gItOnE kaisE janm liyA!', as the announcer says...

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

knandgo ,wonderful, thanks for the clipping . How the composers create wonderful tunes with a mere , poorman's instrument,.harmonium.Haven't we seen beggars playing very pleasing film songs on harmonium? Compre this with today;s computer music. Where are we heading gobilalitha

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gobilalitha,
Yes, the harmonium. Dilip Kumar playing it as a poor man in the streets, and a blind one at that: huyE hum jin ke liyE barbAd O humkO yAd kare nA yAd jIvan bhar --from Deedar...!

And Rafi's singing! As for Kishore Kumar, he too was smitten by Rafi's singing I guess and did not mind his singing for him!
Last edited by arasi on 28 Jul 2008, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Dear knandgo2001,regarding post no28,.excellent photo of dapper OPNCREATING A TUNE Who is the lyricist .? is it AZAD BHOPALI or Qamar jalalabadi?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Qamar Jalalabadi!

Nandagopal,

Thanks for that find! Awesome!!!

The only jarring note was the commentator's repeated use of dEtA, instead of dEtE, thA, instead of thE, and so on, in an otherwise nice tribute to the great tunesmith!

Ravi

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

arasi, gobilalitha, ravi: glad you liked it.. i was floored by the creativity of the artistes.. do you think it was taken before the filming of Howrah Bridge?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

yes, it was wonderful. to see the expressions of OPN's face., while recording .when he didn't get the desired effect, he holds his head, the next moment when he feels satisfied , his face brightens with an expression of wah . once again , thanks nandagopal. one of my other favorites is the ghazal king , MadanMohan. shortly I shall post about him gobilalitha

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

arasi wrote:

E hawA E rAt E chAndni. Whose lovely lyrics, I wonder.

The lyrics are by Rajinder Krishan.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Lakshman!

DJDRNAGRAO

Post by DJDRNAGRAO »

When it comes to title songs, O.P. Nayyar had no equal!
Just follow this link to my youtube posting of a less known, low budget film:
"Mai Mai Mai Qartoon.." Film: Mr. Qartoon M.A.
Asha Bhosle, Shamshad Begum and Mohammad Rafi
Lyric: Hasrat Jaipuri Music: O.P. Nayyar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9VRfOD5WXc

As far as Rafi singing for Kishore, OPN did not have a very high opinion of Kishore in those days. Follow this link:

"Chale Ho Kaha Karke Jee Beqarar.." Film: Bhagam Bhag
Mohammad Rafi sings for Kishore Kumar
Lyric: Majrooh Sultanpuri Music: O.P. Nayyar
Featuring: Shashikala and Kishore Kumar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgj4wKOVzt8

Dr. Nag Rao

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Being a diehard fan of OPN, I immensely liked your first ever post about OPN. In fact50 years back, I was a member of OPN fan club, in my late twenties, visited his apartment in Haines road, Malabari Hills , Bombay, a very posh locality of Bombay as allof us are aware ,where he was living like a prince, but in his last few years when he became penniless had to live frugally with the help of a great fan in VIRAR, a remote suburb of Bombay. BE POSTING REGULARLY ABOUT OLD HINDI FILM SONGS FROM THE EARLY FORTIES.Some very old songs stay permanently etched in our memory , one such song is' Diwali phit aagayi sajni ' from the film KHAZANCHI, in addition to hundreds of other songs I consider the present day songs as soulless, melodyless. gobilalitha

Dr. Nag Rao

Post by Dr. Nag Rao »

Dear Fans of O.P. Nayyar:
You can watch rare videos of O.P. Nayyar films on You Tube under the account;
FFNMRAO

I have been collecting O.P. Nayyar's 78 RPMs, EPs, LPs, CDs, Videos, and DVDs for a long time. I used to know the Master composer and I used to visit him on my trips to India with my whole family. A kind and gentle soul. I pursued Film journalism in India as a hobby when I was a student and later as a Lecturer at the University of Mysore. I interviewed Nayyar Saab at that time for a magazine. That is how I got to know him..

I have been away from India for over 45 years. I retired after being the Dean of a University in USA. Besides working at the University, I have been a DJ at an FM Radio Station for 30 years playing Indian Music. I still have an Internet Music Channel on Live365.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/ffnmr

My webpage:
www.indianmusiconamericanradio.com

I need your help in completing my collection of O.P. Nayyar's compositions.
It is hard to search, find and get things living thousands of miles away from my home country inspite of the Internet.
I need to find songs from the following films. IF YOU CAN HELP ME, I WOULD BE EVER GRATEFUL TO YOU. ALSO IN RETURN I WLL DO WHATEVER I CAN. THE LEAST I CAN DO IS TO REIMBURSE YOU OR THE EXPENSE.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dr. Nag Rao
drnagrao@yahoo.com
630 892 3681

P.S. If you give me your telephone number, I can call you.

HERE IS THE LIST:

KAHI DIN KAHIN RAAT
MIITI ME SONA
NASIHAT
USTAD
QAIDI
BADE SARKAR
KABHI ANDHERA KABHI UJALA
DUNIYA RANG RANGEELI
KANEEZ
AASMAN
FARISHTA