first death anniversaryof OPNayyar

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

to morrow 28/1 is OPN'S first death anniversary. . whenever some channel or radio plays any of his songs, I feel a sort of vacuum in my heart, his melodies are haunting to this date..he ws very proud,dapper,tall ,handsome person, created wonderful music without a tinge of musical knowledge . in addition to his westernised catchy tunes , punjabi bhangra folk songs, he created some classical songs too. mention must be made of his CLASSCAL SONGS'CHHOTASA BALMA."in the film raagini, tu hai mera prem devta in kalpana. another tough song is phir miloge in the film ye raat phir na aayegi , just hear it once you will understand what a difficult song rafi and asha have rendered. long live his memory . the first line , rafi starts in the lowes t octave and suddenly jumps to the highest octave with effortless ease . gobilalitha

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://passionforcinema.com/opnayyarnot-forgotten/

The best of Op Nayyar , in my books
http://www.dishant.com/mailsong/52655.html

chain se hum ko kabhee, aap ne jeene naa diyaa
zehar bhee chaahaa agar, peenaa to peene naa diyaa

chaand ke rath mein, raat kee dulhan jab jab aayegee
yaad humaaree, aap ke dil ko, tadapaa jaayegee
aap ne jo hain diyaa, wo to kisee ne naa diyaa

aap kaa gam jo, is dil mein dinaraat agar hogaa
soch ke ye dam ghootataa hai, fir kaise gujar hogaa
kaash n aatee apanee judaee, maut hee aa jaatee
koee bahaane chain humaaree, ruh to paa jaatee
yek pal hasanaa kabhee, dil kee lagee ne naa diyaa

I leave it to Ravi(and others) to make a perfect translation .

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Jan 2008, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

jananee

Post by jananee »

Coolji..Thanks for the link...i am enjoying the song....lovely lyrics

I love the part:

aap ne jo hain diya, wo to kisee ne naa diyaa...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

coolkarni I leave it to Ravi(and others) to make a perfect translation . [b wrote:kaash n aatee apanee judaee, maut hee aa jaatee
koee bahaane chain humaaree, ruh to paa jaatee[/b]
Kji:

Thanks for that clip....

In this gem, O P Nayyar has immortalized the lyrics of S H Bihari describing the heartfelt pain of a woman who has been ill-treated by love. The nAyikA is simultaneously bemoaning her fate as well as the fact that she is not able to end her miserable existence.

chain se hum ko kabhee, aap ne jeene naa diyaa
zehar bhee chaahaa agar, peenaa to peene naa diyaa

You (ApnE) have never (kabhI) let (diyA) me (hum kO) live (jInE nA) in peace (cain sE). Even (agar) if (I) wanted (cAhA) to drink/consume (pInA) poison (zehar) tO (you) did not let me (nA diyA) drink/consume (pInE) it.

chaand ke rath mein, raat kee dulhan jab jab aayegee
yaad humaaree, aap ke dil ko, tadapaa jaayegee
aap ne jo hain diyaa, wo to kisee ne naa diyaa

Whenever (jab jab AyEgI) you behold the blossoms of Celestrum nocturnum (rAt kI dulhan – the bride of the night) on moonlit (cAnd) nights (the poet imagines the blossoms arriving in a chariot –rath – of moonbeams), (I hope) that memories (yAd) of me and the times we spent together (hamArI) will torture (taDpA jAyEgI) your (Apke) heart (dil kO). What (jO) you (ApnE) have given (diyA hai) me (the exquisite agony of betrayal), no one else (kisI nE nA) has caused me (diyA) that (wO tO) kind of pain.

aap kaa gam jo, is dil mein dinaraat agar hogaa
soch ke ye dam ghootataa hai, fir kaise gujar hogaa
yek pal hasanaa kabhee, dil kee lagee ne naa diyaa

When I get to wondering (sOckE yE) if the pain (gam jO) of separation haunts you/is in (agar hOgA) in your (ApkE) heart (dil mein) at all times (day – din, and night – rAt), my spirit gets broken (dam ghuThtA hai), and then (fir) I do not know how (kaisE) how to keep on living (guzar hOgA). Alas (kAS), if instead of separation (judAI na AtI), death (maut) itself (hI) were to come (A jAtI)! If that were to happen, I am certain that at least my (humArI) poor, broken spirit (rUh tO) will find peace (cain) under some (kOyI) pretext (bahAnA). This affair of my heart (dil kI lagI nE) did not allow (nA diyA) even a moment (ik pal) of laughter (hasnA) at anytime (kabhI).

meena

Post by meena »

bahut shukriya!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

of course it is a very beautiful song, but what hurts my mind is that was the last song sung by asha for opnayyar, after which he was ditched, again he made a come back 2 decades later in the early nineties and scored music for NISCHAY, ZID AND JAANE MEHBOOB . But the last 2 were not released, the film jane mehboob contains some beautiful ghazals by mahendrakapoor and a very melodious song by Anuradha paudwal ' joki hawayen" pl try to get the cassette or cd and hear .good luck.. you don't get it either onthe radio or tv. gobilalitha in the above song as against the women being ill treated by love, opnayyar has beeh illtreated inreality.. if only they had contiued to give music together , they would have scaled greater heights gobilalitha

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

opnayyar has beeh illtreated inreality..
Gobilalitha
You see a Rose bush full of thorns.
I see a Thorn bush full of Roses.
:D

As far as Asha ditching OPN is concerned, we are old enough to know that Life in the -Indian - tinsel world ,hides much more than it reveals.

To my mind she did the best thing by moving on to RD Burman.
Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Jan 2008, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

don't you feel that but for OPN. ,ASHAwould have faced the same fate as her2 sisters Usha and Meena. THANKS for opening my eyes about the bush of roses, , I also feel that despite his closeness to Asha, RDB gave some of his memorable songs to lata gobilalitha