Manna Dey at his best,concert at Biangalore

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Immortal melodies (adopted from THE HINDU)
. At a recent concert in Bangalore,organised byMaamEntertainers, MANNA DE the 87 year old, doyen of film songs thrilled the packed crowd by rendering some of his timeless, immortal melodies. The gentle voiced legend kept the audience spellbound by his tonal quality, melody. Ameen Sayani of commercial service of radio Ceylon and Binacageetmala fame showered praises on the GREAT SINGERj..some of the songs rendered by him are given below.
Sur na saje
Terebina ye geetbhi jhoote
kaun ayamere man ka dware
ye raat bheegi bheegi
Zindagi kaisi ye paheli ..this song was greeted with thunderous applause.
aayo kahanse ganshyam
he rendered some lovely duets with Divya Raghavan
aaja sanam,jahan meinjaati hoon and many others .He lavished praises onthe great music directorsof yester years in the GOLDEN ERA OF HINDI FILM MUSIC
AnilBiswas,MadanMohan,,ShankarJaikishan, SDBurmAN ,RDBurmN GOBILALITHA

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

No Gobilalitha Is Not One Of Them. Gobilalitha

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

No gobilalitha is ABOVE them too !!! :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

sur nA sajE and kaun AyA! My all time favorites.

Member_First,
You are right. Without rasikAs, what are musicians!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

It is good to see so many who turned on to Hindi music during the time when the movement to boycott hindi started in some parts of South India.

balanathan

Post by balanathan »

A Bengalee maestro singing Hindi songs, appreciated in Bangalore, the garden city of South India and all this worldwide communication going on among us in English language. Indeed music transcends all barries and brings the entire India and World togeher. LOVE and PEACE will survive

Nathan Bala
Laurel, MD, USA

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Your excitement in words given above are soothing.. but there is an ugly side of it. T amil music teachers are sometimes shown as lecherous people from Brahmin community with a big tuft and viboothi pattai, making passes at thir young students, though in indigestable humour.. example Mehmood in film Padosan. but as long as there are people to enjoy such insulting jokes , they will continue to do it. gobilalitha

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Gobilalitha
One of my posts from the early days here...
Manna Dey once sang for me on a train journey from Pune to Mumbai.I had packed up to alight , when the train was crossing Bhiwandi(or was it Bhandup ? I forget).
Though it was not an official stop, occasionally the trains would halt for a signal, giving room for the likes of me to get down and catch a cab to Powai , thereby saving precious daily travel allowance.

But on that day , I was unlucky -the train did not have a halt there-and had to walk back again , this time to a seat nearby , for the rest of the journey .And I spotted Manna Da, sitting alone , and singing to himself.
Bright Orange shirt with gaudy Mango-like designs.
I told him that I was such a big fan of his , and he hummed a few tunes from Madhu Shala for me.
He also signed an autograph for me, on a Thurber classic that I was carrying. Such a Simple person.
Last edited by coolkarni on 19 May 2008, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

gobilalitha,
It is tough to be the target of a joke, I agree. However, 'someone from some part of the world (by country , state or language) becomes one. The noon time jokes about the sikhs, Pat and Mike jokes about the irish and so on is part of it all. I remember a furor about Kishore Kumar placing a sandal on the head of a madrAsi in a song routine in the film New Delhi (?). A funny scene it was intended to be, I think (!)but brought out a lot of animosity. In those days, madrAsi meant a southerner north of the vindhyAs and thank goodness, it wasn't tamizhs, andhrAs, kannaDigAs and malayALIs getting individually insulted!
What would happen if you put a sack over the victim's head and play the scene? I bet someone would get angered anyway by saying he 'knew' it was an andhra, tamizh, malayAli, kannaDigA, punjAbi, bengAli and so on :)

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

cool,how lucky you were !such opportunities are Godsend, It would have been appropriate had he sung kaun aya mere manka dware. I also recall an incident about another giant KLSAIGAL which I have read ia an article about him . It seems KLS was invited for lunch by one of the leading film producers to his house in Malabar hills area. At that time KLS used to travel by locals to churchgate . He got down at churchgate and began to walk. ..suddenly , he remembered that he had forgotten to take either the producer's address or phone number.iMMEDIATELY,Ihe began to sing BABUL MORA IN HIS GOLDEN VOICE.AND STARTED TO WALK.. The Producer recognising his voice rushed to meet him . Churchgate reminds me of another proud. dapper person, who was a monarch of film music living in a luxurious apartment, but at the time of his death shifted to Virar and travelled by the lowest classin a local to request for money forhis daily food and whisky from his friends, guess who? the unforgettable OPNAYYAR . LAKHON ME YAHAN DILWALA AUR PYAAR NAHIN MILTA GOBILALITHA