Meanings of Shishunala Sharif's Songs

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Hello!
Can anyone point to books (or other resources) where I can understand the meanings of Santha Shishunala Sharif's songs?

We could also discuss his compositions here.

Thanks!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Great voice, good song and poor recording.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Well, not much activity on this thread...I was hoping to learn the meanings of Shishunala Sharif's songs. The Kannada in his songs, being North Karnataka dialect, is a little unfamiliar to me, as also the philosophical import of such songs as Kodagana Koli Nungitta etc.

In some cases, the language is easily understood, but the philosophical significance is difficult to grasp. For example what does he mean when he says "Sorutihudu maneya mALige, agnAnadinda"?

I hope someone knowledegable will post translations, or at least point to some.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

girish_a : pl send your question as a mail to "ramakriya" who is also a member in rasika forum. His mail address: Ramaprasad Kowshika <rkowshik@altera.com>

I beleive he might have missed this post.

U can POST the full lyrics............let us see........some one may always help ?

prassudr

Post by prassudr »

soruthihudu maneya malige aganadinda;
meaning-because of illiteracy and lack of education the roof of your house is leaking,you dont know how to repair that
sharif is a muslim boy converted to bramhin to get education,he also served as a teacher
during his time north karnataka has poor socioeconomic condition and tuberculosis leprosy plague was rampant
so he is revolutionary man in north karnataka
all songs got meaning,good person by heart
DR.PRASANNA KUMAR
PEDIATRICIAN
prassudr@yahoo.co.in

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.