Manna Dey(Manna Da)

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

The legendary singer Manna Dey,who is synonymous with music and melody,excelling in all genres turned 90 today,.(May day).He has given many memorable songs in the era when melody reigned supreme. Every one of his songs was a gem. Last year he performed in Bangalore on his b'day with a promise that he would be back again this year. Keeping up his promise he will perform at Bangalore on 10th may.Archana Udupa will accompany him. Jadavpur University Alumni Foundation will felicitate him and funds from the performance will be used for the foundation's projects. ON BEHALF OF ALL THR RASIKAS, I wish him many happy returns of theday,and pray GOD TO BLESS HIM TO CONTINUE HIS MUSICAL JOURNEY FOR MANY MORE YEARS.
Courtesy , Times of India, BANGALORE GOBILALITHA

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Happy Birthday to the nonagenarian!

Mama:

Here is song to serenade him - tU pyAr kA sAgar hai - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_e5Wbs59aY

Here is how he took us across the galaxy (tArOn kE pAr) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEt3_K9nu2s

And tried to convince us not to be afraid of love (pyAr sE phir kyUn dartA hai dil) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEt3_K9nu2s

And made us wonder why the cool moon was capable of fierily inflamming our senses (kyUn Ag sI lagAkE) with - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEt3_K9nu2s

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

rshankar wrote:Here is song to serenade him - tU pyAr kA sAgar hai -
Whas a song, what picturisation. That surely was the golden era of music.

Manna da: truly a living legend. Possibly the last of the great male singers that ruled the Hindi music world for so many years, the others being Rafi saab, Kishore da, Mukesh bhai, Hemant da et al.

By the way, the youtube entry says this:
"Manna Dey currently lives in Bangalore in the township of Kalyannagar after spending more than fifty years in Bombay."

Perhaps some of our B'lore forumites can visit him and convey our pranams to the maestro?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Music has immortalized this living legend. May he live many more years of healthy and happy life.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Waiting for posts of ARASI, CM LOVER,VK, NANDGO , COOLJI AND SEVERAL OTHERS .GOBILALITHA

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Cool, this is why I keep telling you to carry your camcorder with you all times! ;)

Thank you for that wonderful anecdote. To think you rubbed shoulders with a living legend...awesome.

narayan

Post by narayan »

coolkarni wrote: Manna Dey once sang for me on a train journey from Pune to Mumbai.I had packed up to alight , when the train was crossing Bhiwandi(or was it Bhandup ? I forget).
Though it was not an official stop, occasionally the trains would halt for a signal, giving room for the likes of me to get down and catch a cab to Powai , thereby saving precious daily travel allowance.
Cool, Bhandup, not Bhiwandi (Bhiwandi Road is a station now on the Diva Vasai Rd line). You could get cabs from Bhandup to Powai? When was all this?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

post8 0f Narayan.This is like looking the teeth of a gifted cow. (Dhanam kodutha mattin pallai parkirathu pole). coolji narrated a wonderful incident from memory. You are questioning him like an advocate in a court of law. gobilalitha
Last edited by gobilalitha on 03 May 2009, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

coolkarni wrote:I am not sure of the station name .Maybe a third name.It all happened in a flash.
:cool:,
I dont want you to lose your wonderful memory.

In bombay all the stations happen to pass in a flash, how about you getting back the thirdname from this list , kalyan,thakurli,dombivli,diva, mumbra,kalva,thana,mulund,bhandup, kanjurmarg, vikroli, ghatkophar, vidyavihar, kurla ,sion,matunga,dadar. I am assuming what ever I have bolded could be your right station as usually people get down at ghatkophar to travel to powai. How did I knew all the stations , courtesy two times during middle school to high school going to dombivili to meet my chitappa /chitti and travelling in that crowded suburban train where you have to know all the stations.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 03 May 2009, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Some 36 years ago I visited Powai and I was impressed with that area and Larson Toubro HQ

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

coolkarni wrote: But on that day , I was unlucky -the train did not have a halt there-and had to walk back again , this time to a seat nearby , for the rest of the journey .And I spotted Manna Da, sitting alone , and singing to himself.
Bright Orange shirt with gaudy Mango-like designs.
I told him that I was such a big fan of his , and he hummed a few tunes from MadhuShala for me.
He also signed an autograph for me, on a Thurber classic that I was carrying. Such a Simple person.
Here are a couple of links to Harivansha Rai Bacchan's madhuSAlA sung by Sri Manna De - Kji, I wish I was there with you on that trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbyWQJUROzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QInS7jbJ ... re=related

www.raaga.com carries several of these verses sung by Sri Manna De - just navigate to the hindi section of raaga.com and search for 'madhushala'.

I knew several of these quartet verses when I was part of my school's antAkSari team - they were some of my favorite verses to learn, and it is really interesting that the one I remember easily is the one about 'pAThak gaN hai pInE vAlE, pustak mEri madhuSAlA'.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

jog , itself is a captivating raag,and to hear Lalgudi sing it!!what a pleasant time you would have had!!
I once heard jog sung by Parween Sultana ,a decade back . Even to think of it sends waves of pleasure to my heart Happimess and joy to the brim.Un forgettable , just like an unputdownable JamesHadleyChase thriller . gobilalitha

arasi

Post by arasi »

'kaun AyA mere man kE dvAre, pAyal ke jhankAr liYE--my favorite, unless I have forgotten a really unforgettable one!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Thiough the news is a week old, our heartiest congrats to the 90 years young great singer MANNADEY for being conferred with DadaSaheb Phalke award for his outstanding contribution to film music. There is an agonising thought in my mind why they have not considered TMSoundararajan for such an award for his wonderful contribution to film music in the golden era of tamil film music when Viswanathan,Ramamoorthy,KVMahadevan and others reigned supreme and for his devotional songs. Can we ever forget his 'karpagavalli nin porpadangal 'and sin(chi)ndanai sei maname,especially the line'sivakami maganai shanmuganai' gobilalitha

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

when even our forumites ignore him, how can he expect national awards? gobilalitha

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Congratulations to Manna De mooshaai for this much deserved award.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

sir. I am referring to the neglect of TMS GOBILALITHA

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/10/09/stor ... 510100.htm

MODS - can you please merge the new thread created for Manna Dey with this older one?

Arasi - here he is with the sound of anklets, specially for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_hmM9nW44g

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
shukriyA hai yAd tEri, shukriyA!
You remembered! Thanks for the song which makes me go 'wow' even today. And the lyrics! Truly an unforgettable golden oldie, though Manna Dey is still young at ninety.
May the heavens bless him with good health and music to the end.

I think it is Anoop Kumar (Ashok and Kishore Kumar's bro) in the scene. Wonder who the lading lady and the other contender for her heart are...
Last edited by arasi on 10 Oct 2009, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.