taiyale-meaning

Classical Dance forms & related music
nithu

taiyale-meaning

Post by nithu »

hello,
here is the lyrics for the padam taiyale. could you give me the word to word meaning of the same.

raga:kalyani
thala:adhi

pallavi
taiyale unai ninaindu ninaindurugi
tayanguraan adi maane

anupallavi
vaiyam pugaldongum merur tan nil mevum
ayain mudu kumaran uya mayilin nindrum

charanam
naadi urugam velai modi saiyala modi
podi kalyani ragam padi ulasamaga
vedike yaha villai yadi kangeyarudan
kudi kalandanayar vadi idu samayam.

[not very sure of the spellings. corrections welcome]

rshankar

Re: taiyale-meaning

Post by rshankar »

Nithu, I have tried to correct the words as best as I can. I could probably do a better job if I could listen to this padam. Who is the composer?
pallavi
taiyyalE unai ninaindu ninaindurugi
tayangugirAnaDi mAnE

Oh beautiful woman (taiyalE)! Thinking (ninaindu) of you (unai) with love/compassion (urugi), (he) is has become agitated/confused (tayangugirAn aDi) [1], oh lovely one (mAnE) [2].

anupallavi
vaiyam pugazhndOngum mErUr tannil mEvum
ayyan muttukumaran uyar mayilil ninriDum (taiyalE…)

In the anupallavi, we are introduced to the hero; he is – the lord (ayyan) subrahmaNya (muttukumaran) who resides (mEvum) in (tannil) the eminent (Ongum) city of mErUr that is praised (pugazhndu) by the world (vaiyam), mounted (ninriDum) [3] on his great/grand/mighty (uyar) peacock (mayilil).

caraNam
nADi urugum vELai mODi seyyalAmODi
pODi kalyANi rAgam pADi ulAsamAga
veDikkaiyAgavillaiyADi gAngEyaruDan
kUDi kalandaNayavADi idu samayam

My dear (aDi), how can you be (seyyalAmO) [4] so arrogant (mODi) [5] at a time (vELai) such as this when you should seek (nADi) each other and melt (urugum) into each others arms? Go away (pODi) [6]! Hasn't it become (AgavillaiyA) a tease (vEDikkai) to sing (pADi) this kalyANi rAgam with abandon (ulAsamAga)? Come on (vADi), this (idu) is the time (samayam) for you to interact (kalandu), embrace (aNaya) and unite (kUDi) with (uDan) the son of gangA (gAngEyar) [7].

FOOTNOTES
[1] aDi – a term of endearment, familiarity, tender regard etc.
[2] mAn is literally a doe
[3] ninriDum literally means 'standing'
[4] seyyalAmO literally means 'can you do?'
[5] mODi can also means airs of grandeur – so mODi seyyalAmO can also be interpreted as 'how can you put on (seyyalAmO) such airs of grandeur (mODi)?'
[6] pODi is used as a gesture of dismissal – dismissal of the nAyika's boorishness
[7] subrahmaNya is called gAngeya because he was 'born' of gangA when agni dropped the fiery essence of Siva into the Ganges to cool it down; just as he is called kArtikEya because the six kRtikA maidens adopted the six babies they found floating on the Ganges; he becomes 'gauri tanaya' when pArvati embraces the six babies to make a six-faced one

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The composer is Subbarama Iyer.

nithu

Post by nithu »

thank you Lsir and shankar sir. sorry dont have the audio.

Reshma George

Post by Reshma George »

Hello All, by any chance does anyone have the performing video of this Padam(Bharathanatyam). Kindly post the link if you do.... Thank-you