lyrics and meaning of Maa moha lahiri meerude-Kamaas

Classical Dance forms & related music
shradha

lyrics and meaning of Maa moha lahiri meerude-Kamaas

Post by shradha »

Can someone post the lyrics and the meaning of the swarajathi - Maa moha lahiri meerude which is in Ragam Kamaas set to Taalam Rupakam. Also may I know who the composer of the same is.

Lakshman

Re: lyrics and meaning of Maa moha lahiri meerude-Kamaas

Post by Lakshman »

Corrections may be needed though the text is from the tamil edition of SSP.

mA mOha lAhiri mIrudE (p). rAgA: khamAs. rUpaka tALA. Composer: Namashivaya Pulavar.

P: mA mOha lAhiri mIrudE enna seiguvEn valiyavanAlum pOi vara vENum
A: sImAn kumAreTTEndiran dinam paNi kazhugAcala vElavar
tAn mAttiram tanittirukkum samayam pArttu vADi pODi
(svarasAhityam)
mAtE sumA vicanamAmA pazhaginOriDam mAlai varumun ati priyamAga
varugira viri vidamAnadena adariyamuna mAravuruvili vegu cAmAri
enaiyuruviliyena mAri viDa adanamAga ma mOha
(caraNattaiyotta eDuppu)
OhOhO mane nirAshai sukham aDIyADavaruravu shatamA eNuvadu pisagaDi OhOhO
(svara sAhitya)
1: oruvar Ashai peridAi nAmE alaivadil ena OhOhO
2: paruvamAmuna maruviyilAda payil paNiya vara vADi OhOhO
3: tApamAga iLa nilAmAlai vADai varudE pasha valai pasha valai mahA mAyai polAdadaDi OhOhO
4: ArAlE shUdO idu pOdAgiyum vArAda tAmadamena vErEdO mAra vELai
pEsinadAl edAvaditAlApamA idenadEzhai matiyinAlemunE kUDiya kAla phalam OhOhO

shradha

Post by shradha »

Thanks a ton sir.. that is very helpful

madhan

Post by madhan »

Lakshman ji.. wat is SSP??

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

"sangIta sampradAya pradarSini"

smala

Post by smala »

The lyrics sound captivating in their unusual format - a translation would help clear it up ?

Shalsie

Post by Shalsie »

Hi everyone,
Would somebody be willing to post the meanings to this song?

Shalsie

Post by Shalsie »

Polite request- any luck with meanings?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Give me some more time - I am struggling with some of the words - the lyrics need to be cleaned up before it can be translated. Is there an good audio link? That will help enormously.

Shalsie

Post by Shalsie »

Thank you- I will wait. I do not have an audio link at present.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I will listen to it and get back to you

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar:
The English version of this song is in the SSP here, starting on page 799.
http://ibiblio.org/guruguha/ssp_cakram5-6.pdf

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is going to be an iterative process to come to the proper meaning of this beautiful svarajati. Here is the first pass. I hope Ponbhairavi, PB, Rajani, Arasi, et al will fix both the lyrics (re-splitting some of the words) and the meanings.

The version here is pretty much based on the SSP link provided (Lakshmanji, a link to the tamizh versiothn may not be remiss, especially for the experts noted above); in the youtube link posted, Smt. Ramya has brought this piece to life exquisitely, and the superb vocals that accompany her are, I suspect, her guru, Swamimalai Sri Rajaratnam's. However, many of the words are different from the SSP version notated by Sri Subbarama Dikshita.

pallavi
mA mOha lAhiri mIRudE enna seiguvEn
= Mighty (mA) waves (lAhiri) of love (mOha) have exceeded all limits (mIRudE), what (enna) can I do (seiguvEn)?
valiyavanAlum pOi vara vENum = even if (AnAlum) (he is) a strong and valiant hero (valiyavan), (you) have to go (pOi) (to him) and come back (vara vENum) (to me).

anupallavi
sImAn kumAreTTEndiran dinam paNi kazhugAcala vElavan tAn mAttiram tanittirukkum samayam pArttu vADi pODi
= Go (pODi) (to him), and come back (vADi) (to me after you have) noted (pArttu) [1] the time (smayam) muruga (vElavan) of kazhugumalai (kazhugAcala), (who is) served/worshiped (paNi) by the king (sImAn) kumAra eTTEndra bhUpati (kumAreTTEndiran) on a daily basis (dinam), is all alone (tAn mAttiram), by himself (tanittirukkum).

svara sAhityam
mAdE sumA visanamA mA pazhaginOriDam
= Oh woman (mAdE), why (do I have to suffer these) pangs of separation/loneliness (visanamA) for no reason at all (sumA), (that too) with (iDam) (someone that I am) extremely well (mA) acquainted/familiar (pazhaginOr) with?
mAlai varumun ati piriyamAga varugiRa viri vidamAnadena adaRiyamun mAra uruvili vegu jAma = Before (mun) understanding (aRiya) the (adu) multiple (viri) types of (vidamAnadena) periods (vegu jAma) of love (mAra uruvili) [2] that come (varugiRa) with great (ati) pleasure (piriyamAga) prior to (mun) the arrival (varu) of dusk (mAlai),
ariyenai uruviliyena mARiviDa adanamAga (mA mOha lAhiri mIRudE yenna seiguvEn) = precious/unique me (ariyenai) has transformed (mARiviDa) into manmatha (uruvili) himself (yena), (leading to) excessive amounts (adanamAga) of (mighty waves of love that go beyond all limits, what can I do?)

caraNattaiyotta eDuppu
OhOhO mAnE en nirAsai sugamaDi ADavar uRavu satamA eNuvadu pisagaDi OhOhO
= Oh doe-like damsel (mAnE), my disappointment (nirAsai) (seems to be my only source of) happiness (sugamaDi); do relationships (uRavu) (with) men (ADavar) ever last (satamA)? To think so (eNuvadu) is a mistake (pisag(u)aDi) indeed......

svara sAhityam1
oruvar Asai peridAi nAmE alaivadilena (OhOhO...)
= What (ena) (is the point) of exhausting (alaivadil) [3] ourselves (nAmE) (considering) our/that person's (oruvar) desire (Asai) as the main/important one (peridAi)

svara sAhityam 2
paruvamAna yenai maruviyilAda payil paNiya vAvADI (OhOhO...)
= Come (vA); come (vADi) to bow down (paNiya) to me (yenai), who has come of age (paruvamAna) but is still so lovesick (payil) from not having been embraced in love (maruviyilAda).

svara sAhityam 3
tApamAga iLa nilA mAlai vADai varudE
pASa valai mOSa valai mahAmAyai pollAdadaDi (OhOhO...)
= The nocturnal (mAlai) fragrance (vADai) of the crescent (iLa) [4] moon (nilA) is coming (varudE) with great heat (tApamAga); the webs/nets (valai) of attachment (pAsa) and deceit (mOsa), and mighty (mahA) intrigue and illusion (mAyai) [5] are evil and vicious (pollAdadaDi).

svara sAhityam 4
ArAlE sUdO idu pOdAgiyum vArAda tAmadamena
= Whose (ArAlE) trickery/chicanery (sUdO) (is this), that (he) has not come (vArAda) and is tardy (tAmadamena), even when it (idu) is so late (pOdAgiyum)?
vEREdO mAra vELai pEsinadAl edAvadu alApamA = (Has there been) some (EdAvadu) loss (alAbhamA/alApamA) because (I) spoke (pEsinadAl) of something (vEru) else (EdO) at the amorous (mAra) time (vELai)?
idenadu Ezhai madiyinAle munE kUDiya kAla palamO (OhOhO...) = Is this (idu) the result (palamO) of my (enadu) (bad) times (kAla) accrued (kUDiya) in the past (munE) due to my feeble/poor (Ezhai) mindedness (madiyinAlE)?

FOOTNOTES
[1] pArttu is literally 'see'
[2] uruvili is manmatha - after he was brought to life on pArvati's request, he was sans body as his had been burnt by Siva - so he is without uruvam (form) or anga (body) - hence he is called uruvili OR ananga
[3] alaivadu is literally roaming around to the point of weariness, hence the use of 'exhaustion' here
[4] iLa means young/nascent, and in the context of the moon (nilA) it means the crescent moon
[5] mahAmAyai - this is one of the few (maybe only) places I have used the video for a word - if I am reading the text in the SSP link correctly it should be makAmayai, and I have no idea what it means....

PS: The anchors around m, used as svarAkshara, makes these passages so arresting, IMO....

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Thanks. I will try my best. It will be immensely helpful if we can get the Tamil version of the lyrics (in Tamil script )as noted by dr Sankar

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Ravi - valiya means voluntarily. So it may be that she is asked to go even if uninvited, take the initiative ?

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Thanks Sri lakshmanji i have received the Tamil script.I find it is tough job. I will take a few days more please.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 20:10 Ravi - valiya means voluntarily. So it may be that she is asked to go even if uninvited, take the initiative ?
Thanks, Rajani. What does valiyavan mean?

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

My two cents in the iterative process.
Pallavi-second para:-
Valiyave / nAlum poi vara vENum’
Even if it is on my own volition. Uninvited I have to go to him.
In colloquial tamil expletive usage of NAlum னாலும்
Ex: சும்மா சொல்கிறான் =சும்மா னாலும் சொல்கிறான் =சும்மாநாச்சிக்கும் சொல்கிறான்
.swara sahityam

mAlai varumun ati piriyamAga varugira oru (audio) vidamAna adu yenna adaRiyum mun
As the evening comes Something peculiar which is very pleasant happens in me (i experience ) and before I could understand what it is…
mARa uruvili : the bodiless manmathan
Vegu saramAri: in quick succession
Yennai uruvili yena mAtrivida :has changed me into nothing ( uruvam illAdavaLAga) = has dissolved me in him
adu ennamAga : how is that possible

Swara sahityam 2
paruvamAna ennai maruvidAdapadi paNippavar yAradi(audio)
Who is that person who orders him not to embrace me who has come of age.
Swara sahityam 4.
Veredo mARa vELai ( கந்த வேள் ) pEsinadAl (yesinadAl-audio) yedAvadu idAl lAbama
Is there anything useful in having talked ill of the lover Murugan.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Ravi - valiyavan does mean a strong man. I feel it could be valiyavAnAlum

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 10:10 Ravi - valiyavan does mean a strong man. I feel it could be valiyavAnAlum
The notations are not for valiyavAnAlum... :(

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you sir. I agree with most of your splits - I think they make a lot of sense, but I have some questions. First off, I think the text in the notation is probably authentic, given that it is from the SSP of Sri Subburama Dikshta. Oral traditions have introduced, edited, or changed words in other compositions as well.

vegu saramAri is what Sri Rajaratnam Pillai sings - it is not the text in the notation. In the text it says vegu jAma/cAma

Also, is mAra (the notation is for mAra and not mARa) same as kanda? I thought it was manmatha...

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Thanks DR rshanker.
I-In the transliterated script given at post no 2 it is noted as “cAmAri “ In the tamil script with notation forwarded by Lakshman ( it is from the SSP )it is noted as
வெகு சா
மா. ரி
சா is in blurred print . I enlarged in the i pad and it looks like ச ர( what a mischievous tiny tail ! ) So I took it as saramAri which corroborates the nattuvanar’s singing.

2- mARan is [/b]MY b][/transliteration mistake. It is mAran( மாரன் ) only.AS you have rightly said it means manmathan; mAra uruvili = the bodiless manmathan yennai uruvili yena mAtri ( who has dissolved me . poetic play with uruvili
Under swara sahitya 4 : mAra vELai =azhagan (amorous ) muruganai ( reciprocal play with the word mAran as he did with uruvili.
What is given as mAran in the transliteration at post 2 is correct at both places. cAmAri may be changed as saramAri

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you, Sir. It makes much more sense now. I will update the meaning when I have the time.