Popular Thillanas for Arangetram

Classical Dance forms & related music
sunflowers

Popular Thillanas for Arangetram

Post by sunflowers »

Hi,

I looking for Thillana for my daughter's arangetram . Any populor ones? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Hegde

Re: Popular Thillanas for Arangetram

Post by Hegde »

You can use .....1.Hindola thillana.2.natabairavi thillana of kalakshetra.3.Hamsanandhi thillana.4.Brundaavana saranga.........etc

mohan

Post by mohan »

Also Balamuralikrishna's Kadanakuthuhalam and Kuntalavarali tillanas are quite popular these days

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This is my most favorite thillana: http://www.esnips.com/displayimage.php? ... play_media
(dayavathi, kanda triputa). It is not a popular one since I have not heard any body sing this thillana let alone dance to it, but it is just a wonderful thillana, it will be great to dance to. The charanam 'tAmarasa daLAya tAkSa' sounds so other-worldly and charming. It will definitely make my day. Your daughter, when she becomes famous, can choreograph a dance for this thillana!

Our best wishes to her!

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

VK, a beautiful thillana, indeed.

Did you have a particular deity or language in mind?

Popular ones for dance these days include BMK's Brindavani, Lalgudi's Mohanakalyani, the ever-popular Dhanashree by Swati Tirunal, among others. Thillanas in Hindolam have also always been choice favorites. IMO, the quintessential *dance* thillana that comes to mind is Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar's composition in Paras. It has gone out of vogue now but I keep hoping for a revival! I performed his Poornachandrika thillana (another catchy one) for my arangetram.

And of course you have contemporaries like the late Madurai Krishnan and Madurai Muralidharan with a large collection of thillanas suitable for dance.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

A favorite is the TQ one with the most appropriate caraNa sAhityam for a dancer - tALa mELa jatiyODu ennai ALa vArum jagadISA....

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

Ravi, I believe that one is by K.N. Dhandayuthapani Pillai in hindolam (w/ a brief ragamalika segment).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Umesh - you are right! A case of wrong labeling in my database.

sunflowers

Post by sunflowers »

I really appreciate all your responses.

Sunflowers

shygan

Post by shygan »

Hello.
For the Paras Thillana by Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar, the thalam is Adi? or Deshadi?
Thank you