tamil sabdam on devi or durga lakshmi saraswati

Classical Dance forms & related music
bharatanatyamrasika

tamil sabdam on devi or durga lakshmi saraswati

Post by bharatanatyamrasika »

i would like the lyrics and meaning for any tamil sabdam preferably on durga or durga lakshmi saraswati. thank you.

rshankar

Re: tamil sabdam on devi or durga lakshmi saraswati

Post by rshankar »

Not sure of one on durga lakshmi sarasvati, but here is a Sabdam on dEvi.

mahAkavi bhArati has a navarAtri pADal (song) on durga lakshmi sarasvati, mAtA parASakti that was discussed - you could try to adapt it into a Sabdam format.

bharatanatyamrasika

thank you so much. both songs are lovely. i have a new question now - how do you adapt a song to a sabdam format?

bharatanatyamrasika

the only sabdams i have seen or heard are sarsijakshulu(krishna) or tillai ambalam (shiva). any other sabdams on any other dieties besides devi taye sabdam that you have already posted. thanks a lot. also can you post audio/video link or links along with lyrics and meaning? i have been going through this forum and i must express my appreciation for the phenomenal service you are doing - giving detailed info on so many relevant topics. I am very delighted and grateful to have found this site.

bharatanatyamrasika

thank you so very much. this is a treasure trove!

bharatanatyamrasika

I see both devi neeye thunai and mata parashakti are in ragamalika neither of which start in kambodi so does the beginning of the sabdam still start in kambodi ta taya ta ta tai? and then switch to the raga of the pallavi and then go back to kambodi for the sollu and again back to kambodi after every verse also(to separate each of the verses)? Or is the sollu always only in the first ragam or does the sollu change each time to the ragam of the verse that follows it? also is this the only item in a margam where the sollu is in ragam?

I am new to this website and am astounded at the info given on both music and dance. It will take many many moons to go through these forums and learn the things that i would like to know! If it is ok to ask i see many posts by you and Lakshman and i wonder who you are that you have such vast stores of info. are you dancers, musicians, musicologists, pure rasikas with incredible knowledge? simply curious...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

As I understand it, Sabdams in the olden days were entirely in kAmbhOji, and a later evolution was to set them to a garland of rAgas (rAgamAlika) with kAmbhOji as the first rAga. Recently, kAmbhOji has been dropped even in rAgamAlika Sabdams - dEvi nIyE tuNai is an example of this new format. If you want to format mAtA parASakti as a Sabdam, you caould follow the path of dEvi nIyE tuNai, and leave kAmbhOji out!

bharatanatyamrasika

Sorry to belabor the point but is the sollu in the first ragam of the ragamalika only? or is every raga(verse) in the ragamalika sabdam preceeded by the sollu in the same raga?

murariakshaya

Post by murariakshaya »

Hello. Is there a shabdam on Lakshmi alone? If so can anyone please provide the lyrics to it?
Thank you!