mallari -dance item

Classical Dance forms & related music
shreya

Post by shreya »

Can anyone tell me how a mallari is done in bharathanatyam?Is it a pure nritta piece ?Can anyone give me a link where I can listen to a mallari .If anybody who has witnessed a mallari can describe it for me ,it would be great.Thanks in advance.If anyone can tell me any dance dvd with mallari that would be great too.
Last edited by shreya on 19 Apr 2007, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

It is a pure dance item - take a look at Priyadarshini Govind's DVD on Invocatory Items in Bharatnatyam for an example.
Ravi

shreya

Post by shreya »

Ravi,
By pure dance item do you mean pure nritta piece like that of tillana???If So there is no scope for abinaya.Is that correct.Can I possibly view Priyadarshini's piece on internet.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

shreya:
Here is what I know about mallAri after reading about it somewhere and witnessing a dance item or two doing this number. It is normally played on nAdaswaram in the rAgam gambIranATTai in the temples when deity is taken on a procession around the temple premises. It is intended primarily to provide the timing for the carriers of the mount on which the Lord is seated and for the rhythmic sway exhibited by the carriers while carrying the mount. It does not contain any words but comprises sounds known as "solluk kaTTus" (bundle of jathis such as tha dhi thOm nam). In doing it as a dance item the mallAri will be vocalized by the naTTuvanAr. As such it is a pure dance item (nrittA, if you will) and there is no scope for abhinayam there.

Others may correct any errors in my statement.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shreya,
Try kalakendra.com and see it the add carried there allows a brief glimpse.
It is like an alArippu - pure dance - NO abhinaya at all - and serves the same purpose - warming up of the angAs, and upAngAs.

meena

Post by meena »

mallari is played in 3 speeds, followed by tisra nadai with interesting rhythmic patterns.
take a look at Priyadarshini Govind's DVD on Invocatory Items in Bharatnatyam for an example.
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

mallari is actually mridangam syllables set to music and as mahakavi said.. played on the nadaawaram when the remple deity is taken out in procession. traditionally mallari is set to either nattai or gambiranattai.. but there are mallaris in other ragams too like kedaram, mohanam,hamsadhwani etc.....

when done as a dance piece.. u have sollukattus in the first speed, 2nd speed, tisram and then the 3rs speed.

as such there is no scope for abhinaya and is a pure nritta piece but you may do a virutham or incorporate any sloka on the deity at the end of the mallari... so that it becomes one whole piece

shreya

Post by shreya »

Thank you all.while on the subject can you please explain me what thodayamangalam is.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

tODayamangaLam is another invocatory item - it is like an iSTa dEvatA stuti before starting a performance - jaya jAnakI kAnta is a famous one.
Again, PG's DVD has an example - this has scope for abhinaya and even sanchArIs....
Vyjayantimala's audio CD has this tODayamangaLam

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

thodayamangalam actually has a lot of controversy surrounding its author. some say its by annamayya and some critics argue that its not..
anyway.. thodayamangalam is actually adapted from the bhajana sampradaya. it is in praise of mahavishnu and lays special emphasis on the venkateshwara, Rama, Krishna avatars of lord vishnu.

it has been adapted into the dance format as an invocatory item... with small jathis or sancharis or both incorporated.
Last edited by srinandini on 19 Apr 2007, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

thodaya mangalam is 'thutakkam'- beginning. Thodayam is also 'thoshakam' like the naandhi - a pooja offered before any major event. and mangalam means auspicious.
thodayamangalam actually has a lot of controversy surrounding its author. some say its by annamayya and some critics argue that its not..
thodaya mangalams that are commonly in practice today are comp. of purandara dasa - eg. jaya janali ramana and jaya janaki kantha which are in raga tala malika, ie set to a combination of ragas and talas.

A thodayamangalam may begin with rhythmic syllables ( tatakaaram) set to a melody during which the dancer makes her entry.
Each line of the song, which has the sahitya or literary content is alternated with a jathi.

thodaya mangalams are usually in praise of a particular deity.

Originally a dance recital opened with melapraapthi- orchestral prelude behind the screen, followed by a thodaya mangalam, the sabha vandanam and then the alarippu.

pushapaanjali another invocatory item.

swaykv

Post by swaykv »

thodaya mangalams that are commonly in practice today are comp. of purandara dasa - eg. jaya janali ramana
Is that so? from what i have heard, this particular song is by annamacharya... ofcourse as srinandini says there r controversies on the subject... but not purandara dasa.... hasnt purandara dasa composed only in kannada?

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

Jaya Janaki Ramana is a set os songs by Bhadrachal Ramadas. Annamacharya and Vijayagopala Swamigal. The following links should help.
http://www.naamasankeerthanam.com/ThodyaMangalam.htm
http://www.bhajanasampradaya.com/conten ... sList.aspx

Jaya janaki kanta is a composition by Purandaradasa. I have danced to both of these thodaya mangalams. Sudharani Raghupati has set this in ragamalika, talamalika in her audio cassettes The sounds of Bharatanatyam by T-series.
Ambika

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

thank you Amraman, that was a very useful link that you provided.

gitanjali

Post by gitanjali »

Is there a thodayamangalam on Shiva.If you can give a link that will be helpful.

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

I am not aware of any on shiva other than regular slokams, kauthuvaums etc. Let me research and if I come across any will post it here.

swaykv

Post by swaykv »

Amraman,
thanks for the links... but then this is something i noted... the first link says that the stanza "Murahara nagadhara...." (third stanza of the thodaya mangalam) is by Shri. Annamacharya Swamigal.
and the second link says that the same stanza is by Purandara dasa!!!!
this is getting interesting!

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

There is a Thodayamanagalam on Shiva by Vidwan Madurai Krishnan which is available on the Madura Margam audio cassette released by Smt.Sudharani Raghupati. The Notations and lyrics are available in their book Madura Margam. "Jaya Jaya Sambho Siva Sambho" Thodaya Mangalam Ragamalikai talam Adhi.
Ambika

gitanjali

Post by gitanjali »

Thank you.I got that and I have watched it .I thought it was pushpanjali.

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

didnt somebody want the lyrics for the sarangapani piece....mogudochi???? what happenned to that thread???

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It was a duplicate thread and was probably deleted by the adm.
See here:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2742

suneethaprakash

Re:

Post by suneethaprakash »

Amraman wrote: 30 Apr 2007, 21:27 There is a Thodayamanagalam on Shiva by Vidwan Madurai Krishnan which is available on the Madura Margam audio cassette released by Smt.Sudharani Raghupati. The Notations and lyrics are available in their book Madura Margam. "Jaya Jaya Sambho Siva Sambho" Thodaya Mangalam Ragamalikai talam Adhi.
Ambika
Can anyone pl share a link, audio for the thodayamangallam by Vidwan Madurai Krishnan on Siva pl... thanks

Lakshman

Re: mallari -dance item

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the discussion about this song.
viewtopic.php?t=17840
Here is the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_TW4oKafUk