Lyrics and Meaning of Raja Rajeshwari in Raga Abheri

Classical Dance forms & related music
kzivraj

Lyrics and Meaning of Raja Rajeshwari in Raga Abheri

Post by kzivraj »

Dear Rasikas,

Can anyone please help me with the lyrics and meaning of the song Raja Rajeshwari in Raga Abheri composed by Madurai R. Muralidharan. The song is commercially available in the Nrityopasana series, however i am unable to locate its lyrics and meaning.

Thank you for your help!

rshankar

Re: Lyrics and Meaning of Raja Rajeshwari in Raga Abheri

Post by rshankar »

If the lyrics are posted, I’ll be happy to help with the meaning.

sathirdance

Post by sathirdance »

Padam: Raja Rajeswari by Madurai R. Muralidharan
Ragam: Abheri
Talam: Misra Chaapu

Pallavi

Raja Rajeswari, Natarajan naalum naadum devi, raga taala baavam serndu ananda nadamaadum devi

Anupallavi

Thanjamendru vandavarkku dayai puriyum dayapari sanjalangal theerthidum en shankari parameswari

Caranam

Maadangi manam irangi magan ennai aadari, Mylapuriyil mayilagavey Mahadevanin padam panindaai, m
Mayavan sodari, Maragathavalli, Manonmani, MahaMaaye, Malini, Soolini, mangala roopini Mahisaura mardini nee

Raja Rajeswari (goddess) Natarajan (Shiva) naalum (everyday) naadum (seeks you) Devi (goddess) raaga (with raga) taala (with tala) baavam (bhava) serndu (together) ananda (happy, bliss) nadamaadum (dances) devi (goddess)

Oh! Goddess Raja Rajeswari! Lord Shiva seeks your love everyday. You dance happily together with raga, tala and bhava!

thanjamendru (people who seek refuge) vandavarkku (those who come) dayai puriyum (show mercy)
Dayapari (goddess) sanjalangal (sorrows, suffering) theerthidum (remover) en (my) Shankari (goddess)
Parameswari (Shakthi)

You are a merciful Goddess,, on those people who come like refugees to you. Goddess Shakthi! The remover of all sorrow and suffering

Maadangi (goddess) Manam (heart)
irangi (melt) magan (son) ennai (myself) aadari (save me) Mylapuriyil (place) mayilagavey (like a peacock)
Mahadevanin (Lord Shiva) padam (feet) panindaai (you worshipped) Mayavan (Lord Vishnu) sodari (sister)
Maragathavalli (goddess) Manonmani (goddess) Maha Maaye (goddess) Malini (goddess) Soolini (goddess)
Mangala (goddess with) roopini (beautiful form) Mahishasura (demon)
mardini (killer) nee (you)

Oh! Goddess! Won’t your heart melt for me? Do save me, as I am your son!
In a place called Mylapore, you worshipped lord Shiva’s feet by taking the form of a peacock
You are Lord Vishnu’s sister
Oh! goddess! You are called by different names - Margathavalli, Manonmani, Maha Maaye, Malini, Soolini - The beautiful goddess, you are the one who slayed the demon, Mahishasura! Please bless me!
Last edited by sathirdance on 13 Oct 2017, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Some clarifications:

In the anupallavi it should be sancalangaL and dayApari

In the caraNam it should be mAtangi (not mAdangi) - the reference is to pAravti's birth as the daughter of a fisherman, matanga

marakatavalli - an emerald (marakata) creeper (valli) - reference to pArvati as the dark-hued one
mahAmAyE - the supreme illusionist
mAlini - one adorned with garlands
manOnamaNi - used with reference to durgA
SUlini - one who wields the triSUlam (trident)
Sankari - can be interpreted as the consort of Siva (Sankara) OR as SaMkari - one who creates (kari) auspiciousness (SaM)
paramESvari - the supreme (parama) goddess (ISvari)

dayai puriyum dayApari - the all-merciful goddess (dayApari) who shows (puriyum) compassion (dayai)

sathirdance

Post by sathirdance »

Thank you, Rshankar for the clarifications.

I do know the context of the names of the goddes, since I produced the music for this.

In setting the dance of the caranam though it's not really relevant or possible to show, the words go too fast. Seeking her blessings is what matter in the choreography.
Last edited by sathirdance on 13 Oct 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sathirdance wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 09:48In setting the dance of the caranam though it's not really relevant or possibly to show, the words go too fast. Seeking her blessings is what matter in the choreography.
Totally agree, but the way you show SUlini can be different from how mAlini is depicted, right? :)

sathirdance

Post by sathirdance »

Agreed. Its too obvious to show either - but I'm sure SUlini will be picked - and thus missing the point of the caranam.