Maiya Kabuhu Badegi

Classical Dance forms & related music
suneethaprakash

Maiya Kabuhu Badegi

Post by suneethaprakash »

Can anyone help with the whole meaning of the song Maiya Kabuhu Badegi Choti pl!!!
Is this Hindi?
And the Ragam and Talam tooo.
Thanks

Lyrics -

Maiya kabahu badhegi choti?
kiti baar mohi doodh pivat bhayi yah ajahu hai chhoti
tu jo kahati bal ki beni jyu hwaihe lambi moti
kadhat guhat nhwawat aunchhati nagin si bhui loti
kacho doodh pivavat pachi pachi det na maakhan roti
Sur das tribuvana manu mohana
{sur shyam chirjiv dau bhaiya}
hari-haldhar ki joti .

rshankar

Re: Maiya Kabuhu Badegi

Post by rshankar »

This is a dialog between kRshNa and yaSOdA - where kRshNa is asking why his hair is not growing despite the large amount of milk he is drinking (and not eating butter as he wants)....it is in braj bhAsA, a dialect of Hindi
Is there an audio? Some of the words are incorrect - example - the last word has to be jODi - hari haldhar kI jODi (duo of kRshNa and balrAm) not jOti (flame)....

suneethaprakash

Thanks for the quick reply rshankar....
I have the audio, but i dont speak hindi and have no clue...
And i an unable to upload the song to the thread...
How can i send it?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt - braj bhAsa is sufficiently different from Hindi to make it necessary for to translate some words contextually.

maiyyA kabhahu baDhEgi cOTi? - Oh mother (maiyyA), when (kabhahu) will my braid (cOTi) grow (baDhEgi)?
kiti bAr mOhE dUdh pivat bhayi yah ajahu hai chOTi - Despite my (mIhE) having consumed/drunk (pivat) all that milk (dUdh) so many times (kiti bAr), it (yah) remains (hai) very short (chOTi) today (ajahu).
tU jO kehti bal ki bEni jyUn hvai lambi mOTi
khaDat guhat nahAvat pauncati nagin si huyi lOTi
- You (tU) keep telling (jO kehti) (me) at all times (when I stand - khaDat, when you give me a bath - nahAvat, or you dry me - pauncati) that balrAm's (bal ki) braid (bEni) is (jyUn hvai) both long (lambi) and fat (mOTi) like (si huyi) a big snake (lOTi nAgin)
kAco dUdh pivAvat paci paci dEt na mAkhan rOTi - I have digested (paci paci) a lot of the milk (kAcO dUdh) that I have drunk, why are you not (nA) giving/feeding (dEt) (me) butter (mAkhan) and rOTI?
sUrdAs tribhuvana manu mOhan
hari-haldhar ki jODi
- The composer, sUrdAs says, the duo (kI jODi) of kRshNa (hari) and balrAm (haldhar) is enough to captivate (mOhan) the hearts (manu) of the three worlds (tribhuvan)

{sUr SAm cirjiv dau bhaiya
hari-haldhar ki jODi}
-- Oh brother (bhaiyA), please offer (dau) your blessings for a long life (cirjiv) to the duo of kRshNa and balrAm

The word cOTi although typically refers to a braid, can also refer to a top knot (koNDai).....

suneethaprakash

Thank u soooooo much
Appreciate ur sincere help....