Payoji Maine Ram

Classical Dance forms & related music
suneethaprakash

Payoji Maine Ram

Post by suneethaprakash »

Can anyone help with the whole meaning of the song Payoji Maine Ram Ratan pl!!!
Is this Hindi?
And the Ragam and Talam tooo.
Thanks

Paayoji mainne ram ratan dhan paayo - 2
Vastu amolik dee mera sataguru - 2
Kripaa kari apnaayo (payo ji maine)
Janam janam ki punji payee - 2
Jag mein sukhavnayo (payo ji maine)
Kharcha na khute chor na lute - 2
Din din katat savayo (payo ji maine)
Sat ki naav khevatiya satguru - 2
Bhavsagar taravayo (payo ji maine)
Meera ke prabhu giridhar nagar - 2
Harakh harakh jas gaayo (payo ji maine)

rshankar

Re: Payoji Maine Ram

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt with a few corrections to the lyrics based on my favorite version of this bhajan - Lata Mangeshkar's:

pAyOji meine rAm ratan dhan pAyO - I (meinE) have received/found/discovered/obtained (pAyOjI) a piece of wealth (dhan) - the jewel (ratan) that is rAm!
vastu amOl ik dI mErE sataguru - My (mErE) virtuous preceptor (satguru) has given (dI) me a (ik) priceless (anmOl) thing (vastu)
kirpA kar apnAyO - and made me own it (apnAyO) out of his compassion (kirpA kar)
janam janam ki pUnji pAyI - I have found/received (pAyI) a treasure (pUnjI) that will last me for several births (janam janam kI)
jag mein sabhi khovAyO - at the same time, it made me forget/lose (khovAyO) everything else (sabhi) in (mein) this world (jag)
kharcA na kUTE cOr na lUTE - (this wealth I have received) will not (na) diminish (kUTE) when I spend it (kharcA), not can theives (cOr) steal it (na lUTE)
din din baDhat savAyO - On the contrary, it grows (baDhAyO) day by day (din din), for me to handle (savAyO)
sat ki nAv kEvaTiya satguru - truth (sat kI) is the boat (nAv), and the boatsman (kEvaTiyA) is my virtuous preceptor (satguru)
bhava sAgar taravAyo - who will row (me) across (tarvAyO) this ocean of life (bhav sAgar)
mIrA ke prabhu giridhar nAgar
harakh harakh jas gAyO
- Mira (mIrA) sings (gAyO) the praises (jas) of her lord (prabhu), kRshNa (giridhar nAgar) loudly (harakh harakh)

suneethaprakash

U r awesome rshankar....
Kalakallllll
Thanks again

suneethaprakash

Hello All

Reverting back to this... in the first line, where it says the jewel is "RAM" - is it supposed to be Krishna? being Meera Bhai's Bhajan and the last lyric which says giridhar nagar- wrt Krishna??!!!
What am I missing or interpreting wrong here?
Thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

At least 2 interpretations:
rAm is used in the generic sense to mean the supreme being (this is an acceptable use), which in mIrA’s case is none other than kRshNa.

It could also be that mIrA is using rAm and kRshNa interchangeably to show that they are but the same manifestation of the paramAtmA.

suneethaprakash

Thanks again for the rescue...