Venkatachala nilayam

Classical Dance forms & related music
laya2

Venkatachala nilayam

Post by laya2 »

Hi

I know the song was discussed before. But i don't think it was the complete lyrics. Can somebody please give me the meaning.

Venkatachala Nilayam Vaikunta Pura Vasam
Pankaja Netram Parama Pavitram
Shanka Chakra Dhara Cinmaya Rupam
Venkatacala Nilayam Vaikunta Pura Vasam ||

Ambujodbhava Vinutam Aganita Guna Namam
Tumbur Narada Gana Vilolam Ambudishayanam Aatmabhiramam
Venkatacala Nilayam Vaikunta Pura Vasam || 1 ||

Pahi Pandava Paksham Kaurava Madaharanam
Bahu Parakrama Purnam
Ahalya Shapa Bhaya Nivaranam
Venkatacala Nilayam Vaikunta Pura Vasam || 2 ||

Sakala Veda Vicharam SarvaJeevana Karam
Makara Kundala Dhara Madana Gopalam
Bhakta Posaka ShrI Purandara Vithalam
Venkatacala Nilayam Vaikunta Pura Vasam || 3 ||

laya2

Re: Venkatachala nilayam

Post by laya2 »

Hi,

I look forward to your help.

laya2

Post by laya2 »

Can somebody help with the meaning please

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt at a general meaning of the popularly sung verses - others can correct and add as required:

venkaTAcala nilayam vaikuNTha pura vAsam = (One whose) dwelling (nilayam) is Tirupati (venkaTAcala = vem + kaTa + acala = the hill/mountain [acala] that destroys [kaTa] sin [vem]), whose residence (vAsam) is the city (pura) of vaikuNTha
pankaja nEtram parama pavitram = (one whose) eyes (nEtram) are like lotuses (pankaja), (one who is) supremely (parama) pure (pavitram)
Sankha cakra dhara cinmaya rUpam = (one who) bears (dhara) a conch (Sankha) and a discuss (cakra), and whose form (rUpam) is that of pure thought (cinmaya)

Here IMO, cinmaya refers to the fact that though we see and think of him with a physical form, he is the all-pervading pure thought/consciousness

ambujodbhava vinutam agaNita guNa dhAmam = (One who is) worshipped by (vinutam) brahmA (one who came into being/was born [udbhava] from a lotus [ambuja]), (one who is) the storehouse (dhAmam) of countless (agaNita) virtues (guNa)
tumburu nArada gAna vilolam = one who is captivated by the music of sages such as tumburu and nArada
ambudhi Sayanam AtmAbhirAmam = (one who) reclines (Sayanam) in the ocean (ambudhi) and is delightful (abhirAmam) to the soul (AtmA)

sakala veda vicAram sarva jIvana karam = (one who is) the focus of deliberation (vicAram) of all (sakala) the vEdas, (one who) is the anchor/creator (karam) of all (sarva) life forms (jIvana)
makara kuNDala dhara madana gOpAlam = (one who is) madana gOpAla (gOpAla who is as handsome as madana/manmatha), wearing (dhara) carp-shaped (makara) earrings (kuNDala)
bhakta pOshaka SrI purandara viTThalam = (one who is) SrI purandara viTThala, the protector/nourisher (pOshaka) of his devotees (bhakta)....

SrI purandara viTThala refers to the fact that as vishNu he is forever in union with lakshmi (SrI)....

laya2

Post by laya2 »

thank you shankar. Can somebody please give me the meaning for

Pahi Pandava Paksham Kaurava Madaharanam
Bahu Parakrama Purnam
Ahalya Shapa Bhaya Nivaranam
Venkatacala Nilayam Vaikunta Pura Vasam || 2 ||

laya2

Post by laya2 »

Hi

Can somebody help me with the meaning please

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hope this helps. As always, please fix errors...

pAhi pANDava paksham kaurava madaharaNam = protect me (pAhi) (Oh one who) took the side (paksham) of the pANDavas, and (one who) destroyed (haraNam) of the pride (mada) of the kauravas
bahu parAkrama pUrNam = (one who is) complete (pUrNam) with multiple types (bahu) of valor/courage/heroism (parAkrama)
ahalya SApa bhaya nivAraNam = (one who is the cause of) the removal of (nivAraNam) of the fear (bhaya) of ahalyA's curse (SApa)....

laya2

Post by laya2 »

Hello,
The word to word meaning is mentioned here. But I do not understand the context of this line.

sakala veda vicAram. For Vicaram the meaning mentioned in Vicaram. But can somebody tell me the context. I am unable to understand the line.

Thank you.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The context is that vishNu is the focus of all the discussions and descriptions of the vEdas

Raghavendra Rao R.

Post by Raghavendra Rao R. »

I have some doubts about the language of this keertana. First, the vibhakti (case): when we say 'venkatachalanilayam' etc, the last letter makes it dvitiyavibhakti and suitable verb should be used such as bhaja. The second charanam is being omitted. The only verb is "pahi" in the second charanam. It is a direct address to the Lord, "save me". So all other words in the song should be in prathama vibhakti such as 'venkatachalanilaya', 'vaikunthapuravasa'. I will be grateful if any one tells me whether I am right or wrong.

prabhu53

Post by prabhu53 »

My attempt to provide Tamil meaning of the Sanskrit Composition by Purandara Dasa “Venkatachala Nilayam Vaikuntha “ is at

https://prabhusponder.com/2020/06/22/ca ... -bhairavi/

Kindly note that the Transliteration and meanings of words are taken from the web pages referred in Forums like this. Thanks