Javali Nudi Kannadi - lyrics and meaning

Classical Dance forms & related music
ruthmaria

Javali Nudi Kannadi - lyrics and meaning

Post by ruthmaria »

Hi!

I am looking for help with two javalis, I'll post the other one separately. In this post I am asking help with the lyrics and the meaning for Javali Nudi Kannadi. It is in Djivavanthu raga, Adi tala. The composer is Sri Balasubramanya Sharma.

Here is the link to the audio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12kxYgR ... sp=sharing

I hope someone knows this and can help, all of my web searches have been unsuccessful.

Sachi_R

Re: Javali Nudi Kannadi - lyrics and meaning

Post by Sachi_R »

nuḍi kannaḍī ennoḍanāḍige nī nuḍi kannaḍī
- speak oh (my hand-)mirror, to my companion (the man sporting with me) speak oh you mirror!
santasava maḍige tumbidavage nuḍi kannaḍī
- to the one who filled my heart/my being with joy, speak oh mirror
nalnuḍigaḷinda manava geluvavage sarasava bayisiha enna manada ingitava...
- to the one who conquered my mind with sweet words, please convey my inner thought seeking amorous sport, speak oh mirror!

nīreya hṛdayake madana nanbādavage kāmanegaḷa ambudhiya candrage...
- to him who is amorously intimate to my young damsel's heart, akin to the moon stirring up the ocean of passion in me, speak oh mirror!
manada mahatiyali suptasvarava mīṭidavage prasannanāgi enneḍege bā endu....
-who strummed the dormant notes in my mind's celestial stringed instrument veena, oh mirror, speak and tell him to be gracious and ask him to come to me!

ruthmaria

Post by ruthmaria »

Sachi_R, thank you so much! What a lovely translation, too!

Is this concept of some sort of magic mirror common? Asking the mirror to carry a message? I haven't come upon this concept in Bharatanatyam items before -- mirrors have always been for getting ready. If anyone has any reflections on this it would be very interesting to know.

ruthmaria

Post by ruthmaria »

Also, am I correct to think this is Vasakasajja Nayika?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

You might be right.....vasikasajjita most probably.

It is not a magical mirror. She is looking at herself in the hand mirror, and whispers her secret desires to it.

For a romantic, objects become beings who speak and applaud and encourage and admonish and even carry tales. In Meghdoota, the lover appeals to the clouds to carry the message to the beloved. In Ramayana, Rama cries to the trees to tell him where Sita has gone (after her abduction). In Krishna's tales, the Yamuna river is addressed.
Some men sing to women's ornaments, expressing envy. And so on. All romantic allegories.

In fact westerners have often wondered and even ridiculed our romanticism where the woman tells her hand maid to go and convey her love and longing and waiting etc. In fact there is one javali where such a messenger actually lands up in bed with the man she takes the message to. And the heroine is devastated. Phew!

PS: this kind of poetry and literature is not my speciality. Someone else here would know a lot more perhaps.

ruthmaria

Post by ruthmaria »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Yes, calling for moon and birds and deer, not to mention sakhis, to convey a message to a loved one I've encountered. I was just thinking that maybe there is some specific story with a mirror which I haven't heard about to which this song is hinting. But if not then I understand the concept of turning to inanimate objects for romantical help.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Maybe there is some story in some literature. Sorry I don't know it.

ruthmaria

Post by ruthmaria »

I tried to get the word to word meaning with help of automatic online translators but most of the results did not make much sense when compared to the whole meaning of the lines. I would like to be able to do some lines padartha abhinaya so word to word meaning would be much appreciated, if possible.

Here's what the translation programme came up with:

nudi – speak
kannadi – mirror
ennoḍanāḍige – ? (companion)
ni – you

santasava – happy
madige – make it
tumbidavage – to the fullest

nalnuDigaLinda – from the null
manava – human
geluvavage – to win
sarasava – chair
bayasiha – desires
enna – i am
manada – mind
ingitava – inherently

nIreya – water
hrdayake – to sleep
madana - ?
nanbAdavage – unbelievable
kAmanegaḷa – ? (Kama’s arrow)
ambudhiya – amphibian
candrage – moon

manada – mind
mahatiyali – greatly
suptasvarava – laughter (notes?)
mITidavage – to the meter
prasannanāgi – prayer
ennedege – to the point
bA – come one
endu – that’s it

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sorry, many errors (both typo and meaning).
I suggest you stick to abhinaya for the lines. Don't need to do it word for word because the syntax is very different for Kannada from English.
Do you speak any Indian language?

ruthmaria

Post by ruthmaria »

Sachi_R wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 08:56 Sorry, many errors (both typo and meaning).
I suggest you stick to abhinaya for the lines. Don't need to do it word for word because the syntax is very different for Kannada from English.
Do you speak any Indian language?
Yes, I already understood that these online translators are not helpful at all and I am not going to use these results. Thankfully someone already sent me the correct word to word meaning privately. Unfortunately I don't speak any Indian languages which is exactly why it is good to know both the word to word meaning and full poetical sentence meaning. I am very grateful for this forum and the people on it, otherwise it would be very difficult to practice this artform without knowing any of the languages.

ruthmaria

Post by ruthmaria »

Another question -- on the CD cover it said raga Djivavanthu but is that an incorrect transcription (because I can't find anything with that name) and it's actually Dwijavanthi?

Is raga dwijavanthi connected to any certain deity? I found mainly songs on Lord Krishna in this raga but no texts backing the connection.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Dwijavanti. Derived from Hindustani raga Jaijaivanti.

In our music, ragas are not connected with deities.