Meaning/lyrics of Nachiyar Thirumozhi- Vaaranam Aayiram - (Andal)

Classical Dance forms & related music
Anne

Meaning/lyrics of Nachiyar Thirumozhi- Vaaranam Aayiram - (Andal)

Post by Anne »

Song: nachiyaar tirumozhi (vaaraNam aayiram)
Composer: AaNDaaL
Language: Tamil
PASURAM 1. Reception of the bride groom (Mappilai azhaippu -Janavasam)

VaaraNam aayiram suuzha valam seidhu
naaraNa nambi nadakinraan enredhir
pooraNa porkudam veithu puramengum
thoraNam naatta kana kandein thozhi naan

In the first pASuram of “vAraNam Ayiram”, kOdai starts describing beautifully to her friend, the divine dream that she just had of her marriage with kaNNan. “Oh my dear sakhi! I had this wonderful dream; I saw nAraNan (SrI ra’nganAthan), surrounded by thousands of elephants, going around SrI villiputtUr. My father, periyAzhvAr, and the citizens of the village are ready to extend a grand welcome to Him with pUrNa kumbhams placed on their heads. The whole village is decorated with tOraNams (streamers) to mark the festive occasion.”
VaaraNam: ( Elephants)
aayiram: (1 thousand)
Suuzha: Surrounding / Surrounding the Narayana
valam seidhu: kOdai is guessing that He is coming around the village, from the sound coming from the vAdya gOshTi (nAdasvaram, drums etc.) that is preceding Him
(Valam or Urvalam (going around the village) is the function where the 'varan' (mAppiLLai) who is coming for the wedding is welcomed by the bride's family.)

NaaraNa nambi: Narayanan the Groom /- nArAyaNa who is brimming with Supreme qualities
naDakkinRAN: It could mean that He is riding the elephant that is walking, or that He is walking by foot out of kRpai so that everyone else can walk along with Him close by.
En+edhir: (My front) or In front of me… (I see all this happening in front of my eyes or all this happening as the first scene)

pooraNa: Overflowing
porkudam: Golden pots decorated with mango leaves and coconuts, bettle leaves.
Vaithu Puramengum: Kept Everywhere in town
thoraNam naatta: when paramapada nAthan comes here, the people of this world are welcoming Him with tOraNams or streamers or line strings of garlands, mango leaves, flowers decorations.
Kana kanden: Dream that I dreamt(Kana= Dream)/ day dreaming/ Swapnam/ Andal had dreamt all this in her dream.
Thozhi: O Friend of mine
naan: Myself/ Me

PASURAM 2. Announcement of wedding ceremony (Nichayatartham)

naaLai vadhuvai maNamendru naaLittu
paaLai kamugu parisuDai pandarkeezh
koLari madhavan govindan enbaanor
kaaLai pugudha kana kanden thozhi naan

Andal continues describing the next scene in her dream: “Tomorrow is the day that has been fixed for the Muhurtham; I saw a handsome youth, who goes by the names narasimhan, mAdhavan and gOvindan, enter the wedding dais decorated with betel-nut trees, in order to participate in the nichayatartham (finalization of the wedding between bride and groom) ceremony.”

naaLai: Tomorrow
Vadhuvaimanam: The word “vaduvai” means “wedding” (kalyANam). Hence the word “maNam” that follows, is taken to mean “mahotsavam”; thus, “vaduvai maNam” means “vivAha mahotsavam”.
Endru: as/ like that
Naalittu: Fixed a date for the wedding/ have picked a date for the marriage.

paaLai kamugu parisuDai pandarkeezh: This refers to the decoration of the pandal with the stems of pAkku maram (kramuka - betelnut trees) with their branches. Nowadays, probably because we don't get the pAkku maram, vAzhai maram(Bananna tree) is used instead.

kOLari: kOL means either Majestic. ari means LION,
koLari madhavan: the majestic lion that is mAdhavan(consort of Lakshmi) who removes obstacles(Andal means His walk was like a kOLari when He is walking towards the wedding dais.)
gOvindan: refers to His being bhUmidevi's nAthan
enbaanor: they call him like that

KAlai: young charming man who attracts everyone in the wedding place and known for his beauty(soundaryam)
Pugundha: Entering the place..
(The phrases kOL ari, mAdhavan, gOvindan enbAn Or kALai, etc., collectively denote
His majesty, His act of removing obstacles of His devotees, His beauty that attracts
AyarpADi girls, and with all that, His youthful age for getting married)

PASURAM 3. Dressing up bride by her sister in law (Nathanar(S-i-L) kodi uduthal)
indiran uLLiTTa dEvar kuzhAm ellAm
vandirund(u)ennai magaTpESi mandirittu
madira kODi uDutti maNamAlai
andari CHUdda kanA kanDEn tOzhi nAn

“indra and the other devA-s gather together and make the proposal to offer me in marriage to Lord ra’nganAtha. Then the sambandhi-s converse with each other to agree on all arrangements Then durgA, kRshNa's sister, helps me wear the kURaip puDavai and I am also decorated with exquisitely smelling flower garland”.

indiran : Lord Indira
uLLiTTa: including
dEvar : All devars
kuzhAm : All Kuzham/caste people
ellAm : friends, neighbors and everyone dear
vandirund(u): came here/were present
ennai: Myself
magaTpESi:
mandirittu: chanting of vedic mantras on saree
Kodi: wedding saree
mandirak kODi uDutti: (Act of pArvati, nArAyaNa's sister, decorated ANDAL with the wedding saree.

Andari: The reference here is to durgA “who disappeared in the sky” - who became “antardhAna”, krishna’s sister.)
maNamAlai: Wedding malai
Chudda: Placed it on me/ helped me wear

PASURAM 4. Tying the protecting band called KAppu (KAppu kattal)
nAl diSai tIrtham konarndu naNi nalgi
pArppana ciTTargaL pallAr eDuttEti
pUpunai kaNNi punidanOD(u)endanai
kAppu nAn kaTTa kanA kanDEn tOzhi nAn

“Several brAhmaNa SreshTha-s bring holy waters from all the four directions; brahmA, periyAzhvAr and the saptaRshis and vedic scholars take the tIrtham that has been purified with udakaSAnti mantrams and sprinkle it on my head and chant ASIrvAdam for me. I see Lord Ra’nganAtha, who stands like a sarvA’nga sundaran, decorated with colorful garland. I saw in my dream, my hand and His hand being tied together with ka’nkaNam.”

Nal: Four(4) ,
diSai: Directions ,
Thirtham: Sacred water,
Konarndu: brought/act of getting
nani: bending closer with respect,
nalgi: giving it.
nAl diSai tIrtham koNarndu: Just as the vAnara-s brought water from the four oceans for SrI rAmapirAn's paTTAbhishekam, ANDAL in her dream sees that the holy waters are being brought for her marriage from all four directions. bringing the
sacred water from the different holy rivers, still it is true that ma’ngaLa snAnam is
performed for the bride and the bridegroom.

pArppanar: Brahmins wearing poonal
pArppanac-ciTTargaL: The reference here is not just to brAhmins, but the best among them, who have learned the vedas very well, and who are well respected by all.
Pallar: many brahmins and learned scholars
eDuttuEti: raising their singing volume for the selective appropriate mantras
pUpunai: flowers have been arranged very close to each other beautifully
kaNNi: denotes mAlai
punidanOD(u): Holy Lord who is pure and who maintains aacharam
endanai: with mine
kAppu: yellow turmeric thread/ protective charm tied on bride and groom’s hand.
nAn: my
kaTTa: wearing on me

PASURAM 5. Removing the obstacles (Pidissurudal)

kadiroLi dIpam kalasamuDan Endi
sadir iLa mangayar tAm vand(u)edirkoLLa
maduraiyAL mannan aDinilai toTTu engum
adira pugudal kanA kaNDEn tOzhi nAn

“In my dream I saw many beautiful young girls, carrying ma’ngaLa dIpam-s which shined like the bright Sun and golden kalaSams. They were welcoming mathurA mannan (kaNNan) who was walking with His sacred sandals. Wherever the foot touched His majesty walks with firmness that made the earth shake.

kadiroLi: Bright rays of the Sun
dIpam: lamps (Lamps with the brightness of the sun’s bright rays)
kalasamuDan Endi: Golden Pots decorated and held in hand
Sadir iLa ma’ngaiyar: ANDAL's reference to the beautiful young damsels(Sadhirs) welcoming kaNNan at the entrance.
maduraiyAL mannan: The King of Muthura(Krishna)
aDinilai toTTu engum: as his feet touches everywhere in the earth.
adira: Bhoomi started shaking like quake.
Pugudal: when he enters

PASURAM 6. The Groom holding hands of the bride (Panigrahanam)

mattaLam koTTa variSangam ninRUda
muttizhai dAmam niRaindAzhnda pandarkIzh
maittunan nambi madhusUdanan vandu yen
kaittalam paTRa kanA kaNDEn tOzhi nAn

“ma’ngaLa vAdyams were being played; conches were being blown; under the canopy that was decorated with low-lying pearl strands, madhusUdanan took my right hand into His and did pANigrahaNam; Oh dear sakhi! I saw this in my dream next.”

mattaLam koTTa: ma’ngaLa vAdyams blowing
variSangam ninRUda: Strpped Conches blown in a line
mattaLam koTTa vari Sangam ninRu Uda - The mattaLam etc. start when the bridegroom arrives, and continue until the pANi grahaNam is completed. The word ninRu signifies that the ma’ngaLa vAdyams continue without stopping.

Muttizhai: pearls
dAmam: strings
niRaindAzhnda: fully covered with
pandarkIzh: under the pandal or canopy/below the pandal
maittunan nambi: (aunt's son)
madhusUdanan: Lord
vandu yen kaittalam paTRa: “He came and took my hand”.
yen kaittalam: hold my hand

PASURAM 7. Taking seven steps together, wedding vows (Saptapathi)

vAi nallAr nal maRai odi mandiratAl
pASilai nANal paDutu paridivaitu
kAi cina mAkaLir(U)annAn en kai paTRi
Thee valam seiyya kanA kaNDEn tOzhi nAn

“Chanting the good veda-s and reciting the appropriate mantra-s, the professional vaidikA-s spread the green grass surrounding the agni and placed the samit (wooden sticks) on them. Oh dear friend! I saw kaNNan, who came majestically like an angry elephant, hold my right hand and circumambulate the agni walking slowly.”

vAi nallAr: refers to the chanting of veda mantra-s by those who chant correctly-good chants, powererful Mantras were chanted by priests who recited them clearly with good wishes in their hearts.
Nalla: Good
maRai: vedas
Odi: chanting
mandiratAl : Madhirams
pASilai: beetle leaves
nANal: sacred green grass
paDutu: twigs/samittu sticks used for Homan
paridivaitu: spreading all the above
(The sacred grass with green mango and beetle leaves were spread and sacred twigs [used in hommam] were laid on them.)
Kai cina makalir: When He came, He walked with the majestic gait of a mad elephant (matta gajam) because he did not want to show off that he will be taken as a easy person.
annAn en kai paTRi: held my hand
Thee valam seiyya – (Thee=Agni)It is significant that the seven steps around the agni (sacred fire) are taken, while the bride and bridegroom are united in pANigrahaNam together. This is an important ritual in the marriage ceremony. With Agni as the witness, this ritual signifies that the relationship that is established through the pANigrahaNam is irrevocable for all future. The significance here is that the couple are together taking a vow with Agni as the witness.

PASURAM 8. Bride Stepping on the stone (Ammi midittal)

immaikkum EzhEzhu piRavikkum paTRAvAn
nammai uDaiyavan nArAyanan nambi
SemmaiuDaiya tiru kaiyyAl tAL paTRi
ammI midhikka kanA kaNDEn tOzhi nAn

Andal describes the next part of her dream to her friend: “nArAyaNan, who is our Protector in this birth and all the forthcoming births, and who is filled with kalyANa guNa-s, held my right foot with His red-hued tiruk-kai and placed it on the ammi (stone).”

Immaikkum: Hereafter (after the girivalam in Agni)
EzhEzhu piRavikkum: In this birth as well as in all succeeding seven into seven births,
paTRAvAn: He is the protector in all such births
nammai uDaiyavan: He is our sarva-svAmi; we belong to Him.
Narayana nambi: “He who is full of unlimited kalyANa guNa-s, the handsome one”
Semmai uDaiya tiru kaiyyAl tAL paTRi: His reddened divine hands
Ammi Midhikka: stepping over the stone - ammi midittal. He placed my toe on the grinding stone to wear the metti. The bridegroom says to the bride - “Be strong in your loyalty to me, like this stone”

PASURAM 9. Offering of puffed rice (laja homam)

varisilai vAL mugatu en aimAr tAm vandiTTu
erimugam pArit(u)ennai munnE niRutti
arimugan acchutan kai mEl en kai vaitu
pori mugam taTTa kanA kaNDEn tOzhi nAn

“My brothers, who have attractive eye brows that look like bent bows, ignite the agni adding samit-s and make me stand before the agni. They place my hands on top of the hands of kaNNan (who has a majestic face like the lion's) and put rice puffs (pori) in the agni and help me do the homam. I saw this poriyiDal vaibhavam in my dream, oh sakhi!”

varisilai vAL: eyebrows, arched and bent like a bow.
mugatu: on their Faces
en aimAr tAm vandiTTu: My brothers bearing bright countenance
erimugam pArit(u):Facing the Agni
ennai munnE niRutti: And brought me in front of that fire
ari-mugan: Who has the bearing ,that of a majestic lion !
acchutan: One who will never forsake His devotees.
kai mEl en kai vaitu: they place my hands on top of my lord’s hands
pori mugam taTTa : And they [ brothers] showered puffed rice over our clasped hands!
(poriyiDal vaibhavam: it is a ceremony:The bride does the lAja homam praying that her husband should live forever with sarva ma’ngaLams. When the lAja homam is done, the wife keeps her two hands together; her brothers will place the rice puffs in her hands; the husband will place ghee on the rice puffs and saying the lAja homa mantram, pour the puffs into the fire, joining hands with the wife's hands. The husband tells agni: “my wife is doing this lAja homam, praying for a long life for me.”)

PASURAM 10. Visiting friends and relatives and taking holy bath (Manjal Neerattal)

kumkumam appi kuLir chAndam maTT(u)iTTu
mangaLa vIdi valam seidu maNanIr
angavanODum uDan SenR(u)Anai mEl
manjanam ATTa kanA kaNDEn tOzhi nAn

“I dreamt that a lot of ku’nkumam and sandalwood were applied on our bodies, and kaNNan and I were placed on top of the majestic elephant and taken in procession along the sadagopan.org 177 streets which had been decorated in celebration of our wedding, and then were given the holy bath with the sacred waters, oh sakhi!”

ku’nkumam: Red colored Kumkum
appi: applying
kuLir Chandam: cooling agent - sandalwood powder
maTTittu: applying certain amount
ma’ngala vIdi valam Seidu maNa nIr: coming around in procession along streets
angavanODum: lord narayana
uDan: with him
SenR(u)Anai mEl: to get on the elephant together
Manjanam ATTa: Bathing Tumeric holy water together.

Smearing the pastes of kungumam and fragrant and cool chandan all over our bodies,
Relishing the sprinkling of perfumed water on us, by all those gathered around
I went around the decorated town on a elephant along with him seated by my side!
Friend! So I saw in my dream!

Other information:
This is from the "Nacchiyaar Thirumozhi", its most popular 6th segment, a lovely poetic creation in which AnDaL describes to her friends her dream of an elaborate wedding with Sriman NaaraayaNa himself.
It is said that unmarried girls of marriageable age would be granted a swift marriage if they recited these verses with devotion. Iyengar girls are dressed up as AnDaaL when they get married even today.

`(info obtained from internet)`````
Last edited by Anne on 03 Jul 2020, 07:26, edited 4 times in total.

Anne

Re: Meaning/lyrics of Varanam Ayiram - (Andal) Nachiyar Thirumozhi ??

Post by Anne »

Can anyone kindly confirm me if the above meaning and lyrics of Varanam Ayiram are correct?