24/7 Online Carnatic Radio

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arulguna

24/7 Online Carnatic Radio

Post by arulguna »

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I came across a 24/7 online carnatic radio station the other day and have been really impressed with their service and music. I think we should support them in their endeavour.

I'm not entirely sure who is running it, could be SIFAS, they seem to have many shows from there. If anyone has any other information please feel free to post.

I've been listening on my android phone, but there does seem to be an option to listen on their website carnaticradio.com

enjoy!

gobilalitha

Re: 24/7 Online Carnatic Radio

Post by gobilalitha »

Thanks.will try

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

TNS singing now. Lambodara followed by tatvamariya taramA :)

24kbps but I appreciate the effort.

smala

Post by smala »

what media player is needed - doesn't work on mac with quicktime or real player.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

<object type="application/x-oleobject" classid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,4,7,1112" standby="Loading Windows Media Player components..." style="z-index: -999;" height="45" width="280">
<param name="Filename" value="http://s5.viastreaming.net/7220/listen.asx">

Now playing "giripai nelakonna". Sounds like SK N. Ramani.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I was going to rant. "What, restricted to Windows?"

Luckily I checked first. I took the url (http://s5.viastreaming.net/7220/listen.asx) out of that string and tried it: It is working fine in Firefox under Linux. No MS software in sight :D

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Nick for that url. Beautiful Giripai on flute.. But then wait a second, that is 4 hours after E_S's post, that has to be the longest sahana ever ;) Just kidding.. Nick probably had unearthed the direct streaming link to that session/program/song or it was a repeat... It is now bowli on violin...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It seems to be a medley. I heard veena, flute, violin, some lighter veena.

All I did was look for the url in Enna_Solven's post. It would be nice if anyone can unearth any page that tells what they are broadcasting. I don't know how Enna_Solven knows that it is 24kbps? Maybe there is a properties display in a media player? Anyway, yes, it is tinny in quality, like a small radio, but still listenable-to for a while.

<a few minutes later>

Ahh, yes... I'm now playing it from VLC Media player, and yes, it has the techie information.
I've been listening on my android phone, but there does seem to be an option to listen on their website carnaticradio.com
I just got there... and then found it was mentioned in the first post :$

Still... they don't tell us what they are playing :(

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Ah S-P, the great iJobs took out VLC player from Mac store as he was not willing to change his software restrictions to meet GPL requirements. You would still be able to download/install from videolan.org site directly, I would think, if you are interested.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Nick,
I saw the 'asx' too and assumed it was restricted to Gates' systems; but forgot the all powerful VLC.

VK,
There seems to be only one stream at this 7220/listen; you must have tuned it exactly after one or two loops. This site should be useful to hone my CM raga knowledge; there are no announcements.

eesha

Post by eesha »

Here is perhaps a better one:

http://shrutiradio.com/

They have 2 channels here - Vocal & Instrumental

By default the instrumental channel plays but when vocal channel is clicked, instrument stops and vocal start.

Listening to Voleti gaaru now

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks eesha - this one works like a charm and clear too. Hopefully 24/7 as well.

eesha

Post by eesha »

yes, it has been 24x7 for the past 1 week that I have been listening
hope it continues

I saw a notification few days back that more channels will be opened by them like Hindustaani , in Carnatic male, female vocal as seperate channels, wind instrument and stringed instrument as seperate channels and so on...

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

smala

Post by smala »

Carnatic radio has added realplayer and quicktime as media players - plays on realplayer/
Mac for me, not quicktime though. Happily listening to Sri LalithE now - can't recognize singer.

Shri Niranjan Nanthagopan had promptly responded to email I sent - they've worked fast to add this option.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

srkris,
'shruti radio' website seems to be a replica of 'rasikas'. Are you the author there too?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Srkris will confirm if he is, but most probably that site is also powered by the same forum software, hence the similarity in look and feel.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I am not connected to Shruti Radio. They may be using the same script that we use here to run their website though.

laasya

Post by laasya »

Sunaada Radio (http://sunaadaradio.com) has been broadcasting CM and HM 24/7 at 64 kbps since October 2009. It is available in FireFox, IE, winamp, real player, windows media player and also on iphone.
Also feature special programs on certain occasions.
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14577

mohan

Post by mohan »

I've been listening to www.carnaticradio.com of late which is also available on WiFi radios (search under Singapore channels). Quality is very good and there has been a good selection of artists aired

eesha

Post by eesha »

The thing I like about srutiradio is that it gives me 4 options (channels) to choose. They have now added "Now playing" information also. And their webcast is at 128kbps. If they can publish the schedule in advance then it will be ahead of others in all fronts.

VijayR

Post by VijayR »

Here is Charsur's attempt to get into this space: http://www.ctunesfm.com. It costs Rs. 99 (or USD $2) per month.

I saw some flyers announcing this during the CAF concerts at NGS this season and, mainly out of curiosity, subscribed to it a week ago. I have found the selection pretty enjoyable so far (if you own lots of Charsur albums, like I do, you will hear some (several?) songs that you already own copies of). As far as streaming/quality, it is very good except for some very rare pauses for buffering.

-Vijay

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

mohan wrote:I've been listening to http://www.carnaticradio.com of late which is also available on WiFi radios (search under Singapore channels). Quality is very good and there has been a good selection of artists aired
I agree - I have been listening to it as well and liking their selections. They are also available as an app for the iPhone at a very nominal price. Listening now to a rendition of Kolam Kana Vaareer by Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan - What a voice! In some shades her voice sounds almost like MS's voice

hamsadhwani

Post by hamsadhwani »

arulguna... can you please tell me the name of the app? When I search "Carnatic Music",I am not finding too many.

mohan

Post by mohan »

hamsadhwani wrote:can you please tell me the name of the app?
Just search for 'Carnatic'. The iphone/iPad app is called CarnaticRadio. Just costs $1.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Does any one know the direct link address for shrutiradio? I want to try and stream it through a media device. I've had success with CarnaticRadio and Sunaada but not with shrutiradio.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

eesha wrote:The thing I like about srutiradio is that it gives me 4 options (channels) to choose. They have now added "Now playing" information also. And their webcast is at 128kbps. If they can publish the schedule in advance then it will be ahead of others in all fronts.
eesha....I went to this site and I am seeing every thing you say in your note. But I am not hearing any music at all...the silence is deafening!!

Am I doing some thing incorrectly? Can u or any one else who have success with Sruthi help me here? Thanks

eesha

Post by eesha »

The site requires Adobe Flash player or Shockwave player (one of those, don't remember which one) to be installed. Ideally the site should say "You need XXX player" if that player is not found. Which is not the case.

Please install Flash player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and Shockwave from http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/ and try it out

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Eesha...thanks for your help. I had a problem installing the new flash player version. so I removed all flash player elements ( perhaps the older versions) from my computer ( remove programs function). Tried to install the new flash player. Still had problems, got a message "only one instance of blah blah". Had a look at the IE version. Mine was 7!! Upgraded this to ver 8 as ver 9 cannot work with Windows XP. This ver 8 upgrade seemed to have cleared all remaining vestiges of flash player in the system. Installed the latest flash player version. And now sruthi radio works. Best part is I raised my problems in their site and as I had said in my previous blog "the silence from sruthi radio is deafening!". And once again, thanks a lot. Regards

hamirkalyani123

Post by hamirkalyani123 »

http://www.pandora.com/
This is another site where you can listen to music of your interest/choice...You have to create a account and also playstations. At some point the music repeats but it has reasonably good collecion :D