Too much of a good thing?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
narayan

Too much of a good thing?

Post by narayan »

Dear rasikas,
A random thought expressed by rasika Charu Venkat in the Ranjani Gayatri (Singapore) concert thread has led me to write this - apart from the fact that I have a lot of time on hand these days.
Quote: "As a cousin put it, there is no point in attending concerts by the likes of Ranjani Gayatri and Sikkil Gurucharan more than once a year …" I will skip the rest of quote, following the principles of selective outrage. The statement above is quite a good principle and perhaps rasikas could follow it to keep their listening ears fresh and also not expect too much from the artistes. Just because good artistes sing 150 days in the year, we need not attend multiple concerts of theirs. Some artistes may be worth listening to once a year, some twice and some never. I think going for too many concerts and then complaining that it is getting stale is a little self defeating. Looking at it the other way, if a seasoned rasika like Charu Venkat (and the cousin) can be kept occupied once a year for an approximately 3 hour period (give or take, as per rajeshnat's measurements), I think that is quite an achievement by the artistes. In the good old days, in smaller places (i.e. any place other than Chennai), people would hear the masters once a year or twice a year in person and that would remain impactful for a long time (sometimes years), from what I gather. Just because we have so much available on tap, I think our palates are a little jaded.

But I will opine on what IS worth doing almost every day, certainly multiple times a year. That is singing, or playing an instrument. That can easily keep one occupied as it is a never ending pastime and one never can take it for granted. After all is said and done, to sit down and sing for 5 minutes with good posture, sruti and mental state and deliver (to oneself) a good Sankarabharanam raga or even a standard kriti effectively is quite tough to do. This is because our own feedback system will demand just a little more from us every time and we have to improve in some or other aspect. While listening is the primary reason we are together on this forum, I suggest that we also listen a little to ourselves, just to see how it feels. I know many do it, but many more can do it and share their experiences (or not, it doesn't matter).

SrinathK

Re: Too much of a good thing?

Post by SrinathK »

If listening is so tough, I wonder what it's like to perform 200 concerts a year as one's day job... with rasikas requesting the same numbers wherever you go...
Last edited by SrinathK on 16 Apr 2018, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

sankark

Post by sankark »

narayan wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 09:10 Dear rasikas,
Quote: "As a cousin put it, there is no point in attending concerts by the likes of Ranjani Gayatri and Sikkil Gurucharan more than once a year …" I will skip the rest of quote, following the principles of selective outrage.
:D No clap emoji supported in this board s/w?

harimau

Post by harimau »

SrinathK wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 10:41 If listening is so tough, I wonder what it's like to perform 200 concerts a year as one's day job... with rasikas requesting the same numbers wherever you go...
Do you really need to remind readers of the Fat Ghost Song?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

One more confirmation!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

harimau wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 09:36
SrinathK wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 10:41 If listening is so tough, I wonder what it's like to perform 200 concerts a year as one's day job... with rasikas requesting the same numbers wherever you go...
Do you really need to remind readers of the Fat Ghost Song?
You need a trip to Pandharpur and see that (not so) fat (no so) ghost -- he stands like's he's just waiting for you to come -- if this meme continues we may have to call you the fat ghost rasika... :lol: :lol:

narayan

Post by narayan »

For professional musicians, it would be very tough to moderate the number of performances, I would imagine. I don't know what a good number (per year) would be these days. But there seem to be two classes of musicians, one group who seem to be singing too much and some who may not be getting enough opportunity, seem to be very few in the middle! Once you perform frequently, it is for large numbers and almost inevitably there will be requests and pressures to repeat some popular items - I am sure this was so to a lesser extent even for the likes of GNB and Madurai Mani Iyer.
In Hindustani music, there are some reclusive musicians who are good and would still have a reasonable audience when they do perform, and they seem to be able to limit the number of performances. Are there any such in Carnatic music?
But listeners can certainly moderate listening to keep things fresh. For me, the only reason I hear a person again and again (like Ramnad Krishnan) is because I wish to, or because I wish to learn something specific. Why would anyone go again and again to concerts and then complain that it is getting stale?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

To conclude that it is getting stale.

arasi

Post by arasi »

What's so unacceptable about the bhUth when SAkshAt Sriman nArAyaNA is the bhUth? Or, the very five bhUths, the elements? The bhakthA indulges in Him by calling Him a bhUth, reveling that the magic He casts is overpowering, like that of a bhUth. A charming concept.
If we do go on this way, Harimau soon has to start his own (A)RASIKAS.ORG :roll:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

narayan wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 16:04 Why would anyone go again and again to concerts and then complain that it is getting stale?
For sociological research? Just to vent under the guise of reviewing? To show off one's superior rasikatvam as opposed to the bovine sheeple?

If you haven't noticed, we have quite a few cranks here :D

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I remember a chat among students during my college days as to "what is so great about carnatic music, one repeats the same stuff again and again"?
To this, a music enthusiast compared the popular cricket game to Carnatic music wherein the same event takes place again and again with numerous spectators - only that the venue and combination of players differ. Fans engage in serious debates on the outcome. Games repeat but no matches go un-attended. Perhaps people eagerly await frequent matches even with the same men playing.
So we don't get sick of music concerts either! The combination of singer and accompanying artists may vary but that never fails to thrill the rasikas.

Let us welcome more and more concerts, even of the same vidwans / vidushis and keep away from the otherwise uneasy socio-political environs!