Shruthi box in the US

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kcn

Shruthi box in the US

Post by kcn »

How does one acquire a reliable shruti box in the US, short of using shady EBay sellers charging exorbitant prices and third party sellers on Amazon?

I am getting tired of using my phone for this.

msakella

Re: Shruthi box in the US

Post by msakella »

Better to kindly define the reliability of the Shruti-box
at the first instance. msakella

kcn

Post by kcn »

The basic radel shruti box should do the job for practicing. Not sure if everyone agrees with this, but alternative points of view are welcome! I am not able to find a reliable/reasonably priced online store for that.

For tamboora: I am looking for something that can be tuned reasonably and retain it's shruti. Need a store that can ship the instrument safely. Also a store that provides the necessary maintenance/spare strings if necessary.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Anybody needs a reliable dissonance-free Shruti.
If you tell me your Shruti i shall try to provide such a Shruti. msakella

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Hello kcn

Your phone will do the job well. There is nothing much a shruti box can achieve a phone cannot. The shruthi box was a replacement for actual Tampura in the good old days before the days of phone. A recorded soundtrack is enough if you put them on a loop . What Akella sharmaji has created is wonderful. you can see that your notes are fine tuning itself , just not the Sa and pa.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 15 May 2021, 07:11 Hello kcn

Your phone will do the job well. There is nothing much a shruti box can achieve a phone cannot. The shruthi box was a replacement for actual Tampura in the good old days before the days of phone. A recorded soundtrack is enough if you put them on a loop . What Akella sharmaji has created is wonderful. you can see that your notes are fine tuning itself , just not the Sa and pa.
@kcn
Agree w/ ganesh_mourthy - the tanpura app is also very popular among performing musicians-loading it on their notepads/devices along with lyrics of pieces they're about to present reduces the pressure of packing for concerts.

If you think the śruti sound from the phone is not loud/clear enough, you could invest in a speaker w/ BT functions.

If you still want a śruti box, then you could enquire at the Musicians Mall if they sell them. Their URL: https://www.musiciansmallusa.com/