Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vakulabharanam

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by vakulabharanam »

Hello friends !!! I am also a rasika of carnatic music and I am very happy about having joined this carnatic music forum...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome! You join the growing list of rasikas on the forum with a rAga name!

vakulabharanam

Post by vakulabharanam »

Thanks for the welcome !! the ragam is one of my favourites esp. E Ramuni

Kannan91

Post by Kannan91 »

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the forum, although I have been browsing for quite a while. I'm only starting to get into CM, and I have very little knowledge of the technical aspects (of this or any other sort of music!), but I enjoy it nevertheless. I am a Malayali, but I've spent most of my life here in England and right now I'm an undergraduate student. I'm a bit of an amateur linguist and quite interested in the sahitya aspect of CM (I don't even like listening to a kriti without having a copy of the sahitya at hand!) and I've been studying Sanskrit on and off in my spare time.

Kannan

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Welcome Kannan. Nice to have a linguist amongst us. You will find quite a few sahityapriyas around here ( sticklers if I may, affectionately ;) ) and you will be right at home.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

kannan - welcome aboard. Having lyrics before you listen to the song will be a tough one as no body knows what the artist will be singing unless you choose to listen to recorded songs only after having the lyrics. Good luck to you and wish you a long musical journey

kavya456

Post by kavya456 »

Welcome to all the new members from my side its good to meet all of you here, :)

kantamani

Post by kantamani »

Hello everyone! I am an avid student and rasika of Carnatic music, currently based in the US. I look forward to meeting you all, and to improving my own musical knowledge through interaction with such knowledgeable rasikas!

Glad to be a part of this wonderful forum.

-kantamani

vasanthakokilam

Kantamani, welcome to the forum.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just see that Mridangist Vidwan MelakAveri Balaji has joined the forum(with the id "melakaveri"), warm welcome to you to our forum.

duff777

Post by duff777 »

Hello, I'm Luis from the border Mexico-USA, my language is Spanish. I don't have any Indian ancestry.
I enjoy listening and watching videos of Carnatic music, and reading about it and their artists.
I also play the duff while listening to hindu, catholic, buddhist, sikh and jain devotional songs.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard Luis and enjoy a long musical journey with us.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Luis, welcome! If you do not mind, could you share with us how your interest in CM was sparked?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Bienvenido, Luis. Glad to have you join us.
Like Ravi (rshankar), I am also curious about the origins of your interest in Carnatic music.

duff777

Post by duff777 »

Thanks for the welcome.
I participate in wikipedia spanish in themes about India and music, among other topics, and on the net I discovered videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbiILmfuPc
then gradually I became interested in Indian classical music (especially Carnatic), first with percussion instruments, then melodic instruments, theory, composers, now vocal artists. Indian classical singing is difficult to digest for foreigners, I think they prefer instrumental music.

By the way, does any gentleman know who is the mridangam player in this performance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7pyo6SuFhk

8)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Who else would not be mesmerized by such bewitching rhythm!
Enjoy your stay here and contribute to our understanding of Latin rhythm too!

msm

Post by msm »

Dear All: Belated Pongal wishes. Hope the festivities bring lots of music and auspiciousness in your lives.
I guess I broke the convention by not posting in the new members thread. Have been here for a few months now.
I am an ordinary rasika of CM who migrated from enjoying/memorizing film music tunes to CM due to circumstances/people around. Live in California. Was a silent reader for a few months, but the venBa buff thread was too attractive/inspiring to keep quiet. Have made a few posts there.
Very glad and honoured to meet all of you rasikas/poets. Regards & love.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard msm

Sukanya

Post by Sukanya »

Dear all,
I am Sukanya . To be true I haven't learnt music ever.Hoping for a chance to learn sooner.I have joined "Rasikas" to gain knowledge about music and help a friend of mine who has a good skill in singing.Can someone tell me a renowned carnatic vocal guru nearby koramangala or electronic city? so that my friend can start learning carnatic properly.I really want to help him because of the skills and dediction he has towards music though he is not trained.Thanks in advance.

vivek@mel

Post by vivek@mel »

Hi, I am Vivek from Melbourne, Australia. Nice to read posts from great music rasikas and the name of this website sounds perfect.
I hail from Palakkad, Kerala and I`ve learnt vocal music from Sri. Baburaj - a senior student of Chembai Memorial music academy and Flute from Sri.S.Krishna Iyer at Kalpathy, Palakkad. Now learning vocal from Smt Jayshree Ramachandran here in Melbourne. I wish to gain knowledge and contribute to this forum by posting my experiences on attending concerts here!

vasanthakokilam

Sukanya and Vivek, welcome to the forum!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Welcome Sukanya and Vivek: Sukanya I would suggest your friend approach Jayanthi Kumaresh--the Veena player( niece of Llgudi Jayaraman and w/o of Kumaresh of the Ganesh-Kumaresh Duo)--she lives in bangalore.

She is a busy performing artiste so that her teaching commitments may be tight. However she is one of the best teachers I have known and some of her students rave about her teaching--but your friend better be prepared for the Lalgudi School's penchant for rigor and discipline.

Good Luck!!!

mangalpandey1959

Post by mangalpandey1959 »

i am reading a lot in dance/music these days as my daughter is planning to do an arangetram in california bay area. i am discussing pros and cons in Natya forum. it is very heartening to see there is a forum to support these activities, having grown up in north india and not exposed to dance/music, i am appreciating the art and need for a "good" teacher

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Welcome Sri V.S.Narasimhan, Violinist to our forum as a newly registered member.

I hope that there will be more interactions with you from many of the Rasikas from this forum.

S.NAGESWARAN.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Some of my friends who are knowledgeable and interested in carnatic music and bhajans want to join the forum.It seems they tried and failed. pl let me know the current procedure.Thanks

vasanthakokilam

There is a problem in the sign up procedure. Srkris is looking into it.We will post back here once that is resolved.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I have manually approved all new member registrations until the issue is fixed.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Hearty welcome to Dr M Narmada Ji.

Enriched by your presence.

Ashoka

Post by Ashoka »

Hello everyone. I am Ashoka.
As they say in kannada "Hoovinda Naaru swargakke Hoyithu"..... "The thread found mooksha by binding itself to the flowers"
I am just a music lover with very little or no Sangeetha Jnana. I am here to enjoy the company of the learned and there by enrich my life.
I am glad to be a part of this esteemed Rasika Sangha and looking forward for the interactions

God bless you all
Ashoka

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Ashoka, welcome.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Ashoka A warm welcome from a fellow Rasika(joined in 2009).Let me say this. I am in my Seventies and I have been a passionate lover/listener of CM for over 6 decades and I can BOLDLY assert that I have learnt from this Forum in 4 years far more than what I have absorbed in the previous 60 odd years!!
By all means browse thro all the topics--if you are a new listener and want to know about Ragas or Krithis there are topics devoted to these subjects besides many. I can assure you even after 4 years of active participation there are many areas that I have not been able to explore--so vast is this treasure trove of know;ledge.

The moderators and the contributors--too many to be named individually --are doing an outstanding job of steering discussions on various topics without any censorship. Take advantage of this site. This is the BEST CM sites that I have come across!!

Again WELCOME!! let us know your interests and there will be forumites ready to enthral you!!!

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Ashoka avarige,
Suswagata.
Nice to see one more kannadiga on the forum.
Hearty welcome.

Ashoka

Post by Ashoka »

Thank you all for that warm welcome. Ramasubramanian sir, surely will take your kind advice and try to learn as much as possible.

@aaaaabbbbb avare- nimma ee tumbhu hridayada swaagathakke, naanu aabhari :-)

Musical_Dream

Post by Musical_Dream »

Hi All,
I am Balaji. I am a big fan of Carnatic Music. Glad to find this forum.

Jai Shri Ram

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Welcome Balaji

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

Namaskarams,

My name is Shankar Vaidyanathan. I was born at Srivaikuntam, Tirunelveli. My father side is from Thanjavur. I have been brought up on both Thamirabarani and Kaveri waters. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a student of music. Learnt Hindustani for a couple of years. Carnatic vocal is my passion. Avid listener. Immensely benefited from this forum for the last several years. I will continue to learn from fellow Rasikas.

Best,
Shankar.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Namaskaram, Hello, and Welcome :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Says the gent in vEshTi and kurtA!
Welcome to all new members!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Shankar,
Welcome to the forum. Share your valuable experience with us.
Thanjavooran
26 01 2014

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Dear all,

it's always been a pleasure and enlightening to read this forum. My participation has been more passive, although I have written a few reviews from last year's concerts. Since I never got to say a formal hello, let me take this thread up to say a big hello and namaste to all the members, rasikas, music lovers and seasoned performers here.

I have been dormant in the performance circle for more than 25 years for various lame reasons..and so instead of regretting it, I have mustered some courage and drawn much inspiration from Carnatic fora like these and others, to resume my lessons with Savita Narasimhan and have been a novice performer for about a few months now. Still a lifetime(s) to learn and perfect the art. But I have realized that it is never too late.

Here is a playlist from one of my recent performances at the Fremont (California) Margazhi Utsavam 2014..

http://goo.gl/yPjJSE

Seeking all your best wishes and blessings,

TN Arunagiri.

vasanthakokilam

Sri Arunagiri: Your singing is quite excellent and professional. Gaja vadana was quite dynamic and energetic. You have a good voice and CM sounds great in that timbre. The accompanists also did a great job. I will listen to the rest of the songs later.

Congrats on restarting your musical lessons with Smt. Savita Narasimhan . All the best for a great performing career.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I also listened to the first kirtanam "Gaja vadana" - very well sung - good support from Pakkavadyams too. Welcome back as an active participant in this forum.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Thanks vasanthakokilam and VK Raman. A kattkuTTi that I am - quite humbled by your kind encouraging words.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Tanapp: Welcome again! I look forward to actually being able to attend one of your performances! All the best.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

mahavishnu: that will be awesome!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

tanaap,
Another performing member among us!
You have a pleasing voice and a good vazhi ( good school of singing). Your svarams in gaja vadana were very good and could hear the pleasant violin sound there! Also heard a bit of naTTaikuRinji rAgA.

The best to you!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arunagiri, I was finally able to catch up with the clips, and I echo the words of praise from the others. Thank you for sharing, and please do keep on doing so. Best wishes for more opportunities and continued enjoyment.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

arasi, rashankar - with due respect, much appreciated and humbled.

Thanks.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Oh and yes..the pakkavadyam-ists are just rockstars. Their bios are read out in video no. 366 in the playlist. (http://goo.gl/yPjJSE)

Thanks,

Arunagiri.

Tattvamasi

Post by Tattvamasi »

Hi all,

My name is Sanjay 22 and I currently live in Bangalore. I fell in love with Carnatic music when I came across a beautiful kirthi on Shankara tv. Google was kind enough to tell me that it was "Shree kamalmbayaha param nahi re" in Bhairavi. and that's when my love for Dikshitar and his compositions started. that man is brilliant! it's come to the point that i start grumbling if nobody sings a Dikshitar kirthi in any kutcheri.

But sadly, I haven't been that fortunate to go and learn.I really want to learn the art. is it too late? I'd love to hear from you rasikas.

P.s- As i type this, I'm listening to Kamakshi , the Bhairavi Swarajathi. next is Rave himagiri kumari.so exited.

Thank you.

Sanjay aka Tattvamasi