Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
thanjavooran

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Sundar Avl,
Warm welcome to the elite forum. Share your views.
Thanjavooran
24 02 2015

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I received a forward about an itunes application to play ragas. When I offered to bring it to the notice of rasikas.org members, I received this mail. Administrators may please help.
Quote:
App for carnatic ragas

My dear Chellappa, Thanks for your immediate response & interest shown in the...
Govindarajanraman

Dear Sri Chellappa
I realized that I had requested admittance to rasikas.org and posted info about my app already. If you can try the app and provide me/ rasikas feedback that would be most useful.

Regards, Raman
Unquote.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Maruthidasan Avl
Welcome to this forum. IMO you are the first Sabha Secretary to become a member of this elite Rasikas org. Share your views as an organizer too.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
19 05 2015

Asish

Post by Asish »

I am new born baby in this forum. feeling good to find this and feeling so bad I missed this all these days. I Really appreciate all the hands behind this and thanking you all for adding more knowledge to my life.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Asish: Welcome to our site. Hope you like what you see and actively take part in the discussions.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

kingsleytailors,
welcome to the forum
Thanjavooran
09 10 2015

Denise Pf

Post by Denise Pf »

Hello,

I am a newbie Carnatic music fan in the US.

I surfed my way into this music a few months ago. In that time I have been sampling ragam on youtube, exploring the melakarta ragam on Wikipedia, and learning about talam and gamaka (mostly from teaching videos on Youtube).

I have always used music for it's soothing effects on me. Carnatic ragas do that powerfully. (They do alot more than that, too -- but to talk about that goes into personal areas.) Perhaps in time my mind and my ear will catch up.

In my brief journey into Carnatic music, I have come to understand that some raga are morning ragas and others are for other times of day. I have been wondering if perhaps there are CDs out there of all morning ragas, and perhaps also for other times of the day. Do they exist? What are some names of those CDs? Is there a good place for me to buy them? ( I am hoping that this is an easy question for someone here.)

I have one other question. I play what would be aptly described as easy piano. ( I can play a song like one might have heard on the radio in the US in the 1980's -- and if you are familiar with that song, it will be recognizable to you.) The closest Indian instrument to the piano is the harmonium but it is not always included in those to be used for Carnatic music and it won't do gamaka. What do people here think about the harmonium in Carnatic music? Perhaps it is still a good way for me to understand the music better, even if it is not ideal?

Thank you for allowing me to join you, and thank you for your patience with my beginner's questions.

Namaste,

Denise

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Welcome to the forum Denise.

Given that you are already familiar with Melakarta, Gamaka, tala etc. you are no longer a newbie, you are right in the meaty part of the curve..

On harmonium there are two schools of thought. There are those who agree on the gamaka difficulties with it and then there are others who bemoan the fact it has been phased out. Given that, you can definitely use the harmonium as a pathway into Indian music ( Hindustani musicians use it more than carnatic ) knowing the limitations. But there are harmonium players who bring out the raga personality even with those limitations. That is indeed amazing.

Regarding Morning ragas. Again HM is more a stickler for time of day based ragas than CM but there is atleast some unanimous opinion about the morning ragas in CM as well. Look for ragas like Bowli, Revagupti, malayamarutam... Bowli is a sure bet.

msakella

Post by msakella »

It has very well been proved, beyond any doubt, that the modern keyboard which is available along with the facilities of Transpose and Metronome is 100 times more reliable than a music-teacher in respect of precise rhythm or note. amsharma

venkatasub

Post by venkatasub »

Hi,

I am R. Venkatasubramanian. I am 74 years old and an ardent Carnatic music lover (especially the immortal Madurai Mani Iyer). I stumbled upon this website and immediately registered myself to learn from the forums. This is a real treasure house and I would like to express my admiration and approbation to the admins of the site.
Venkat.

vasanthakokilam

Welcome to the forum, Sri. Venkatasubramanian!

grajesh10

Post by grajesh10 »

Hello All,
I am Rajesh , an ardent fan of Carnatic music. I am basically a Bombayite , but currently reside at Chennai. I learn Veena there and am a regular listener of the Akashwani Sangeet Sammelans since 1990.
Would request anybody who records them?
My contact number is 9962448400.
Warm Regards,
Rajesh Gopalakrishnan

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

WElcome Rajesh to our forum. Hope you take an active part in our discussions and appreciate and enjoy other rasikas' views.

vasudevand

Post by vasudevand »

I just came across this forum and saw some names like rsankar, ranganayaki. They were talking about names as Chella Upendran, Shantha Viswanthan, Seshadri who were our music, biology and sanskrit teachers I would like you to contact or reply to me to see if we were classmates. Are you Ravisankar?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

You can try to contact them by sending messages to them. Just click on the Contact area on the right side of the post,under the user name.

violinshreehari

Post by violinshreehari »

Namasthe

I am Shreehari
I am a new member . I am a 36 year old violinist . Nice to meet everyone here

vasanthakokilam

Welcome Shreehari.

K.Chandralekha

Post by K.Chandralekha »

as a new member i need some help in interacting with fellow members and getting and giving mutual help related to carnatic music queries.

vasanthakokilam

Welcome Chandralekha. Post your questions and contributions in the appropriate sub forums.

sharmgn

Post by sharmgn »

I would like to get contact details of Jambu Kannan Mami in JP Nagar bangalore. Can you please help me?

varsha

Post by varsha »

I learn Veena there and am a regular listener of the Akashwani Sangeet Sammelans since 1990.
Would request anybody who records them?
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4hyfe5 ... RECORDINGS

This is only a part of what we have recorded.
Progress is slow.
For full set please send private mail and drop in
I live in Chennai
cheers

cienu

Post by cienu »

sharmgn wrote:I would like to get contact details of Jambu Kannan Mami in JP Nagar bangalore. Can you please help me?
I have sent you an email. please check your inbox.

Mayuran

Post by Mayuran »

Greetings to all! I am a new member, joined in January 2017. I have always been a lover of Carnatic music. I have been living in the US for over four decades. Now I am in my 70s. When I came here in the early 70s, there was practically no avenue to listen to CM except LP records brought from India. It is so different now, thanks to a large number of organizations, groups, singers and students patronizing this art. And the internet as well as forums like yours help people like me a lot in not only listening to the music but also in appreciating and understanding the nuances. Thank you for taking me in. Mayuran

Usha Raghavan

Post by Usha Raghavan »

Namaskaram! I have been reading, checking and following rasikas for quite sometime now. It is truly a pleasure to have become a member of this wonderful group today. My sincere thanks to everyone here for the incredibly interesting and authentic posts. Regards, Usha

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome to forum, Usha! We hope you'll join us in the discussions.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

warm welcome Mayuran
Please do share any concerts that you attend in US and post reviews where ever you are

Usha Raghavan
YOu also can participate in posting more . Warm welcome . Do attend concerts near your place , post your anubhavam ,talk about your vidwans,vidushis and ragas etal in the respective thread.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Mayuran,
MS Usha Raghavan,
Welcome to the forum.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
27 01 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Mrudangam Rajasekar,
Warm welcome.
Share your musical experiences with us.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
17 02 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Spoorthi,
Hope you are music idol !
Warm welcome to the forum.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
30 03 2017

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Nick H said, "It is very nice to see your "introduction." Perhaps you would also post it to our New Members thread, as TMK threads here may have a limited audience."
Thank you, Nick H. So here it is:
From yeshprabhu (Yesh Prabhu), a new member.

Hi Sivaramakrishnan,To answer your question and satisfy your curiosity: Sri Muthiah Bhagavathar's shishya, Sangeetha Kalanidi Shree Madurai Mani Iyyer, was the teacher of my Sangeetha Acharya, composer-vocalist-mridangist Shree T N Bala. In Chennai, very few have heard of Shree Bala. That is because he immigrated to the US in the late 1950's and settled in Pennsylvania for more than 60 years. Sri Bala was my Sangeetha acharya for thirty years until he passed away after a long illness. He was a great vocalist and had composed more than 400 krithis on Shree Subhramanya. You can hear him on YouTube: he sang a few of his compositions with no accompanists, and just one tambura. When Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shree Maharajapuram Santhanam came to the US on a concert tour, he visited Sri Bala and requested him to sing a few of his compositions. Bala sang his kriti Vilaiyada idu nerama? in Shanmukhapriya raga. Shree Santhanam liked it so much that he asked Sri Bala to teach him that krithi. When Shree Santanam returned to Chennai, he decided to sing that kriti at his concert, and people loved it very much. And since then they had been asking him, by sending him requests, to sing that krithi at each one of his concerts. That's how it became so very famous. Shree Santhanam's sons Sri Ramachandran and Sri Sreenivasan also sing that krithi in their concerts, and they told me that it has now become their family tradition to sing that krithi at their concerts. The rather unusual views I have about Carnatic music I acquired by talking with Sri Bala who used to tell me what he had heard about Mahaperiyava Shree Chandrashekharendra Saraswathi's views on Carnatic music were. Shree Mani Iyyer revered the Mahaperiyava, and used to tell Bala what the Mahaswami had told him. Even though I have learnt Carnatic vocal for thirty years from Bala, and for four years from Shree Flute Gopalakrishna Iyyer of Kalanikethana, Mangalore, (Sangeetha acharya of Shree Kadri Gopalnath) I am not a professional singer. That's because I have not practiced as much as I should have. I read a lot, and sing very little. I give concerts very rarely; I have given only three concerts at two sabhas in Chennai, so far (at Raga Sudha and Arkay Convention Center). Sri R K Sriramkumar played violin for me at all the three concerts, and Shree Arun Prakash, Shree Guruvayur Dorai and Shree Akshay Ananthapadmanabhan played mridangam at the three concerts. Karnatic music is just my passion and hobby. I will be giving a concert before I return to the US, at the Raga Sudha Hall next month, on May 13, Saturday, at 6.15 pm. I am 73 years old now, and losing my voice slowly, and so I wanted to record a few krithis before I lose my voice completely, so that I could tell myself that there was a time when I, too, used to sing!
Yesh Prabhu, Mylapore, Chennai

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you for posting in the introduction thread... Welcome to the forum :)

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Hello everyone! As my id suggests, my name is Vijay Siddharth, and I am 16 years old! I live in Singapore and LOVE Carnatic music. I listen to it obsessively, and love most artists (MLV being my favourite). I am a player of the Keyboard, and I am also a sometime-composer of varnams, thillanas, and krithis. I have also made a few 'innovations' in theory and laya. My other passions include writing (I am preparing to release my first novella, a piece of Historical Fiction, later this year), and eating (lol). I can't wait to meet and learn from all of y'all!

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Welcome to the forum Vijay! :)

shriram.krishnan72

Post by shriram.krishnan72 »

Great to read about members we all know only by screen names. I am new to this forum but a long time listener of CM. My name is Shriram and I am freshly retired from what we today call a cushy IT job. Now I have time to listen to more live concerts and share it with all of you.

- SK72

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Shriram,
Welcome to the forum.
Have a nice retired life, listening stalwarts' music.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
17 05 2017

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vijay
Share your creativity at your leisure . Nice to see a 16 year old having MLV as a favourite.
Warm welcome shriram krishnan. I see you reviewing two concerts in Thyagaraja vidwat samajam , please do continue

Ripri

Post by Ripri »

Namaste,

I look forward to know more about Carnatic music!

deepadevadiga

Post by deepadevadiga »

hey anyone having carnatic notes about bajana.... pls provide me...

Jeeja

Post by Jeeja »

Namaskars,

Thank you Admin for approving my membership. I learnt Carnatak music for 7 years. My father was a very good singer although he never learnt himself. He used to hear his sisters taking lessons and learnt all the songs. He even used to sing Western music those days. If he was alive, he would be 102 years.
He used to sing with my Athhes the song " Sringara Lahari" in Neelambari raaga, composed by Shri. Lingaraj Urs.
I would like to learn this song. Could you please let me know if I can get the Swaras for this song please. When I try to sing, I seem to miss the taala beacause I do not have the swaras.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards
Jeeja

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Jeeja,
Welcome to the forum.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
17 02 2018

vasanthakokilam

Jeeja, Welcome to the forum, glad you joined. Please post your request in the 'Identification / translation requests' sub-forum viewforum.php?f=11

SreeBharath

Post by SreeBharath »

Hello all.My name is Sree Bharath and I am new to the forum.I am a carnatic music enthusiast.

vasanthakokilam

Welcome SreeBharath!

stmdhr

Post by stmdhr »

Hi Rasikas,

We are a household team of software engineers & music enthusiasts. One of us has studied CM intermittently for over 10 years, one of us is a complete novice. We were aware of this forum & were lurking on it for a few months already. It is finally great to become a member of this very knowledgeable community now.

In our naivety, we have started a personal open source project to play solfege notations. We hope to get advice & learn from the community on this project. We shall create a new thread under Innovations topic about this. Even if the project does not work out as expected, we will still have learnt something from the journey.

We are eagerly looking forward to discussions. Thank you for accepting the membership.

With warm regards: Sita & Sai.

vasanthakokilam

Hello Sita and Sai: Welcome to the forum.

Srisharada

Post by Srisharada »

Namaskaram and Pranams to everyone,

I am Srisharada from Mumbai. Although my request to join the forum was approved in July 2016, I fell seriously ill and could not participate earlier.
I feel privileged to be a part of this forum and look forward to gain a lot of enrichment of knowledge and insight from everybody here. I learnt carnatic music from 1992 to 1998 but discontinued unfortunately due to asthma. I did intermittently learn but could not maintain continuity. Now since the last 4 years my health has stabilised a little and I have begun learning once again with my guru Smt. Vijaya Krishnamurthy.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Welcome to the forum. We are happy to have you as part of the rasikas family.

sarala

Post by sarala »

Hi everyone...ism happy to be part of this group
Very useful group and good for exchanging information.nicr meeting you all.
All the best to every one.

Christian Kenit Ram

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

Hello to all forum members !
I have been reading the forum for many years and I am glad that such exchange exists in cyberspace .

RichardM

Post by RichardM »

Hi, I am Richard and new to this amazing community. Looking to update and enhance my knowledge and I hope, I will learn from this community.