What's your goosebump song?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I agree KJY sounds older here. His 70's would be the one when he was with Chembai. I personally know Chembai was a great teacher.

smala

Post by smala »

Jnaana Mudalvane Vinayakane -- seerkazhi govindarajan
Last edited by smala on 15 Dec 2009, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

It would have to be Tulasidala Mulace in Mayamalavagowla by Thyagaraja. Matangi Marakatangi Maheshwari Uma in Revati is another one of the "goosebumps" songs.

prashant

Post by prashant »

jambUpatE. The line 'sarva jIva dayAkara shambhO' especially...

narayan

Post by narayan »

Enna_Solven wrote:
narayan wrote:Ososi - Mukhari - Brinda Mukta
[I have no idea what the thing means, and the beginning word sounds like the name of a little known African group of people, but I try not to breathe when listening to it, lest I miss something]
Here is the meaning:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... yyene.html
Thanks! I guess goosebumps (or goosepimples?) are purely instinctive things without knowing what anything "means". Many people have listed songs they like very much or listen to a lot. That's different. I don't want to listen to this song too often, for example, as it is quite uncomfortable (I try not to breathe, etc. etc.)

Music

Post by Music »

There is TNS' rendition of Soundara Rajam that always gave me gooesebumps. It is a feeling that I find hard to describe, but the song & the rendition were just so good. The weird thing is - somehow after I got addicted to it and listened to it a zillion times, I still love it, but doesn't give me goosebumps anymore. Some other song took the spot. My current goosebump song is - perfectly uttered rishabham or gandharam or daivatam in any any slow/relaxed rendition of the raga Mohanam....doesn't matter whether it is a kriti or a shloka or an alapana. The note has to just blend in very well with the tambura and be heard with the perfect frequency.
Last edited by Music on 15 Dec 2009, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I had to think hard about this one. Just like narayan, I too do not listen to my goosebump song[s] regularly, but I avoid them to preserve their impact on me.

SSI-LGJ-Sankaran - cEta shrI (with swaras). SSI singing the line "nava campaka..." always gives me goosebumps, as does the moment when he sings the tara dhaivatham in the climax of the kalpanaswaras in that piece.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

It may be a bit silly to bring this up among these great CM songs and performances, but occasionally a specific voice causes something like a goosebump reaction. It does not necessarily have to be in one's top 10 or top 20.

Recently, I came across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMacLF4RnTo . It is a great CM based film song and sung very well originally by Vani Jayaram. This singer may or may not match the quality of VJ but her voice timbre has a dimension which caused sort of a similar reaction the first time. ( not quite sure if that can be described as goosebump ).

musicfan_4201

Post by musicfan_4201 »

ranganayakam by DKP/DKJ
enna kavi pAdinalum by Madurai Somu
sankaracharyam by Voleti
nAnati Brothuku by Nedunuri
rama nee samana by Nedunuri

cienu

Post by cienu »

When I close my eyes and listen to the lines "Sri Rama Rama Rameti, Rame Rame Manorame, Sahasranama Tattulyam, Rama Nama Varanane" (Vishnu Sahasranama), I not only experience the goose bumps but I am also elevated spiritually to a higher plain altogether.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Excuse me for a slight deviation. But I wanted to share my expereice with the forum friends. Two records of the great MSS- one Radhamadhavam- is one full LP -verses in Malayalam by Swami Atmananda rendered excellently in the choicest ragas like Saveri, Kedaragowla, Mukhari, Subhapanthuvarali, Revathi eic (11 ragas). The rendering and the meanig of the slokas are so touching that I have heard thousands of times. About 10-12 years back, daily I will hear that before going to bed. The music is simply haunting. But you will enjoy it only if you can understand Malayalam. Second the Melaragamalika also by MSS. Ten years back, I used to think, that when I buy a car, daily I will hear this song. Even now I am not tired of hearing the song.
Another song-Ithani naal aana pinnum - a song by Kalki recorded by MSS after the death of Gandhiji. The lyrics are so touchnig and very emotionally rendered by MSS that tears will come from my eyes whenever I hear the song.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vasanthakokilam wrote: Recently, I came across this link ).
you may like this too!

http://charulathamani.blogspot.com/2009 ... un-tv.html
( not quite sure if that can be described as goosebump ).
Yeah... may not technically qualify as one ;)
Last edited by sureshvv on 16 Dec 2009, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

Goosebump... Sanjay's Kamboji last year in MA, TMKs neraval of O rangasayee, varamulosakhi (N,S), MMIs
enduku pedhala neraval with chowdaiah, Mathrubootham song (anybody, anytime), gowri manohari renditions,
Todi krithis like koluvamaragada, kaddanu (MMI , Vijay siva, DKP), SEmmankudi Bairavi RTP neraval & Sree venkata girisam, Maharajapuram
sankarabaranam alapana and Boo samboo, Mandolin U srinivas & Rajesh duet swara prastharam, Petra thayum MSS rendition,
MLV mathyamavathi alpana...
Last edited by rajaglan on 16 Dec 2009, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Even DKP's jaganmohini RTP!

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Manavyalakim by Mali sir. Specifically during his Bombay concert. Something about gives me chills every time I hear it.

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

'Mai Hari charanan kee daasi' - by the angel of music M S Subbalakshmi, ( and most of the others in 'Meera') and 'Bhavaani Dayaani' -Begum Parveen Sultana.
'Geethardhamu' by Emani Sankara Sastri (almost any ragam by Emani :) )
'Krishna nee begane' by T Vishwanathan
'Kandu Dhanyanaade' by KVN
Sahana ragam (actually, any ragam) by Mali
'Mohanakara Muthukumara' by S Balachander

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

enta muddo in BindumAlini - Not sure whose rendition I heard this but has captured my heart ever since that first time.
O RangaShaayi with those complex sangathis - MSS
nannu brovu Lalita - Mysore Nagamani Srinath
eti Janmamidhi - An absolute favorite - ( time to listen to it again :-)

Sridevi

vanajan

Post by vanajan »

There are no goosebump songs for me, but finitely many goosebump moments. Sometimes it could be just one note or just a phrase/line or the way violin/mridangam/kanjira/gatam accompanies that particular moment or the pause(silence) at that moment.

Random three:

1. Brindamma's ososi, the way "na" in namadi is sung in second sangathi.
2. The moment/way PSN mama starts "Rama Neeyada" after a soulful Karaharapriya alapana by Shri.VVS in a
PSN-VVS-UKS concert.
3. The line "Akanda Sachidhanandam" in chintayamam as sung by Brindamma in Carnatica's CD.
This CD has very many such moments for me and it also (re)defined our Cleveland-2007 experience.

Vanaja

vasanthakokilam

Momentary goosebumps....

1) "Kanrin kuralaik kettu kanindu varum pasu pol" - Mukhari. Starting at the higher sthayi, especially by a person singing with high sruthi, even better by a female duo. Last experience was with the Ranjani Gayathri album.

2) nI daya rAdha - Vasantha Bhairavi - not quite the regular goosebumpish feel but close, there is some inexplicable connection for me to this song as sung by NCV.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
You should hear Musiri's rendering of "Kanrin kuralaik kettu kanindu varum pasu pol" which is immortalized in vinyl... Intead of goosebumps it will bring tears in your eyes!

vasanthakokilam

Thanks CML. I will try to find it and listen.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Momentary goosebumps - mostly MDR

1) The way MDR sings 'Mandamarutopi', the starting word of the Kamboji charanam in Pannagendrashayana, the first time.
2) The way he sings jaya kandarpasundarAnga for the first time in Jaya Jaya Padmanabha (Manirangu)
3) The first time he sings 'Anandakara' in nirupamanAdakara in Balagopala
4) A particular response by Lalgudi in MMI's Music Academy concert when he responds to MMI's Thaye Yashodha neraval
5) In the same concert, Lalgudi's response to the first tanam round in RTP Kamboji. He produces what at that time felt to me and my brother like the sound of a train's horn?

When I ran my first marathon earlier this year, I had put my ipod on shuffle and the first song that played when I started running with scores of people around me was Somu's Suddha Dhanyasi varnam Ninnu nammi. I did get goosebumps all over and ever since whenever I listen to the starting phrase, I'm reminded of that experience.

I'll try to come up with clippings of these moments.

smala

Post by smala »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ryE5lxjno&NR=1

KILLER stuff ! - the strains AND the voice/singing. If this didn't get your goosebumps...!

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

Sri rangapura vihara by MSS
Nanati bratuku & Deenuda nenu devudavu neevu by MSS / Nedunuri
Many BMKs & Voleti's renditions
Emani Sankara Sastry's ragams (any)
Chittibabu's Bantureethi

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

bilahari wrote:I had to think hard about this one. Just like narayan, I too do not listen to my goosebump song[s] regularly, but I avoid them to preserve their impact on me.

SSI-LGJ-Sankaran - cEta shrI (with swaras). SSI singing the line "nava campaka..." always gives me goosebumps, as does the moment when he sings the tara dhaivatham in the climax of the kalpanaswaras in that piece.
This song (osOsi) had such an impact on me that I spent countless hours trying to get the lyrics/meaning till I found rasikas. In general I find Mukhari impacts me hard.

bilahari, do you have the link for the SSI cEtah (if it is not commercial)?

arunk

Post by arunk »

Enna_Solven wrote: do you have the link for the SSI cEtah (if it is not commercial)?
This specific rendition is the subject of this blog post: http://sunson.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/ ... little-one - it is also presented there (albeit as 2 parts one for the song and one for the kalpanaswaras)

And as should be apparent from that post, it is my goosebump song too (atleast one of the main ones) :-)

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 26 Dec 2009, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

thanks Arun.

MV

Post by MV »

Mine has to be Rama Rama - Simhendra Madhyamam. But there are so many, it is often the mood you are in at the time!
Could be Mokshamu by Lalgudi, Thamasamen by GNB or Thaye Yasodha by Madurai Mani Iyer

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

1. Almost all songs sung by shri DKJ... especially his Renuka Devi that he sang during his last days.. Maanicka Bhushani Madhura rasa Bhaashini... Bhaanasadrusaakshini.... Parashuraama Janani.... My my my..... i still feel his very presence and his dedication and involvement in Krithi singing.. A matchless performer. My mother and younger sister were fortunate to learn from the great master for 7 years.

2. Lavanya Raama, Kanugonu, Etijenma, Sari Evvare, Alapana of Sahana, Kannada, Bhairavi, Madhyamavathi by Shri Ramnad Krishnan..

3. Shivakaamasundari (Mukhari), Rama Rama Pranasakhi (Bhairavi), Adikisukhamu, Kamakshi Shri Varalakshmi and many more from Smt.DKP... the great lady who brought the best out of DKJ...

4. All Papanasam Sivan Songs should be heard from Shri Sethalapathi Balu Mama..... Also some of the Thirupugazh songs like Sharana Kamalaalayathai... As i write tears flow from my eyes... he was a great soul... blemishless singer, pure from the heart! No need to specially mention his Viruthams... as he is hailed by every present generation singer on that aspect of music..

5. Madurai Mani Iyer's rendition of Seethavara Sangeetha, Chethashri, Shri Sathyanarayanam, Shri Shukra Bhagavantham, Brihaspathe, Diwakara Thanujam, Angarakam, Chandram Bhaja, Hecharikagaararaa used to invoke a lot of meditative effect. His nerevals and thaanams of various raagams were always ecstatic to me, pure flow of suswara gandharva gaanam!

6. Ramanatham Bhajeham, Andrivvulagam (Andal's Thiruppavai in Sindhu Bhairavi), Seshachala naayakam, Endharo Mahanubhavulu, Kotinadhulu and many songs of Shri Ariyakudi. I could imagine how he must have sung in his early days with the accompaniment of PMI and Pudukkottai pillaivaal!.

7. Madurai Somu's Madurai Arasaalum Meenakshi, Aadalai Paaduvom, Ennakavi Paadinaalum, Nallavaraye Naadu, Naalayendroru naal Varumaa, Azhagiya mayilinil aadivaa muruga, Ninaikkaadha neramillai... and many more....all of them were tailor made for him by him... Another simple soul with great artistry.

8. Shri Lalgudi's Dance of Sound Thillana album with Shyam's background music score, erode gururajan and Karaikkudi Mani's Mridangam (especially the kanada thillana where shri KRM's brilliant gap fillings).

9. Shri Balamurali's Bhadrachala Ramadasa Krithis & Thyagaraja Utsava Sampradaya Krithis

10. Shri Semmangudi's Maamava Meenakshi, Shri Raamam Ravikulaabdhi, Naavasidhi petralum, Shri Venkata Gireesam, Vadhaanyeswaram, Ranganayakam

11. Many albums of Smt. MS (especially her Annamacharya krithis).

12. Nedunuri Garu's Emayya Raama, Janaki Ramana, Aluruluguriyaga, mudhugare, Gayathi Vanamali, Sompaina Manasutho (Chellare), Ksheerasagara Vihara, Apudumanasu (Kamas), Shringara lahari, Manasaguruguha rupam, Okaparikopari, Mithri bhagyamu (Sowmithri), lekhana, Maapalavelasiga, Naan oru vilayattu bhommaya, Kannanai pani maname, Koluvaiyunnade (Devagandhari), Bhaavamulona and many more....

13. MLV amma's Thiruppavai.. i have listened to atleast 20 versions from different vidwans, but nothing was so appealing to my ears like MLV amma's album. Her renditions of Edhayya gathi, Baro krishnayya, Ayiram aayiram gopiyargal (in madhyama sruthi charukesi), theertha kariyinele speaks volumes about her emotional part of music. I thank god to have given chance for attending some of concerts.

14. MDR's Sagarashayana vibho, Budhamashrayami, Bhajare rechitha baalambika, Hariyum Haranum onre endru (with oru silar ulare... as the last line :)), Kanada and Kaapi thillana. His sloka renditions especially Vikrethukaama kilagopa kanyaa in various raagams. We need one more birth to enjoy his music alone...

15. Ramani sir's idinyayama, govardhana gireesam, madhuvanthi thillana, entha mudhdho with alapana and swaras.. devagaanam!

16. Veena Balachander's great rendition of Evvare in Gangeyabhushani was a revelation!

17. Sengalipuram Dikshithar's Gurvaathapureesha Panchakam, All his Dhyanashlokams, Thyagaraja / Margabhandhu Stotrams... divine!

18. GNB's Dhavalaroopa, Sonnadhai seidhida, Dikkutheriyaadha kaatil, Kaaranam kettu vaadi, Saadhinchene, Emanipogaduthuraa, Nannubrova (bhairavam), Sudhamayee.

19. Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer's Hare panduranga, Kandhapura shanmukha, Maravakaraa nannu manmathi roopini (devagandhari), kanakanaruchiraa, his virutham's slokams and Mohanam alapana! Alas there are no 1920s and 30s recording of this Mahavidwan.

20. Where am i going to end this? I like many others... some familiar Vidwans and some un familiars as well... Entharo Mahaanubhaavulu Anthariki Vandanamu...

Not one birth is enough to listen to the ocean!

bhamah

Post by bhamah »

DKP's yaro ivar yaro, seetha Rajan's o rangasayee, Ninnuvina - Poorvikalyani, my teacher's Sankaracharyam, Vechoor's annapoorne, Evarimatta

bhavarasa

Post by bhavarasa »

For me, it's MMI's pallavi - Parimala Rangapathe, with the Kambhoji Alapanai.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

vishnuramprasad, your nice list of krithis prompted me to write this.

There is a big overlap with your list. There are some I would like to add.

T. Brinda's Kanthimathi (Kalyani), Askhyalinga Vibho - esp. the neraval - Badarivana (meditative tranquil), Kuvalaskhiro (gowilpantu padam), Hasthivadanaya (Navroj) and many more "¦.

Ramnad Krishnan’s Mukhari (Karubaru, Emaninne), Begada (Abhimana)- slokam from solo recording (janathirama)

T. Viswa’s Balavinave (Kamboji)

GNB’s first stage of RTP alapanas, slokam rendition - Kalambodhara, alapana of Yadhukulakamboji before NinnuSevinchina - vintage stuff

MDR’s Varnam rendition, thodi,Bhairavi raga alapana, Kedaram, Reetigowla, Sree, Sahana and slokam rendition

DKJ UKS combination (Soundararajam, Karunanidhi Illalo (thodi) absolutely mesmerizing rendition of Yukthamugadu (sree), Neelayadakshi
(Paras)

Semmangudi - Slokams, Chetasree Balakrishnam

BTW, I prefer - Ariyakudi's Thiruppaavi - I bought the CD pack recently. what a stunning rendition by the maestro.
Last edited by annamalai on 06 Jan 2010, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

ratanabhinav

Re: What's your goosebump song?

Post by ratanabhinav »

Chalamelara - margahindolam
Nannu vidachi - rithigowla
vasudevayani- kalyani
venuganaloluni - kedaragowla
lavanya rama - purna shadjam
samukana nilva - kokilavarali
Thulasamma - devagandhari
parulanna mata - kapi

RSR

Re:

Post by RSR »

CRama wrote: 16 Dec 2009, 12:30
Another song-Ithani naal aana pinnum - a song by Kalki recorded by MSS after the death of Gandhiji. The lyrics are so touchnig and very emotionally rendered by MSS that tears will come from my eyes whenever I hear the song.
Great Sir!.. Most touching and wonderful, simple lyrics by the great Kalki, ( I think, the ragam is Sindhubairavi without going to higher notes, as is usually sung) , ( I believe that the music was scored by SVVenkataraman) . and full credit goes above all to Smt.MSS for the rendereing with feeling and poignant sweetness in 1949.
Especially the way in which she sings , "chinnanchiru madalaiyarin cirippinile malarndhiduvaar ...kanniyarkal annaiyartha, kaNNeeril karaindhiduvaar;.
Can we ever get back Gandhiji, Kalki and Smt.MS of pre-1955?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two records of the great MSS- one Radhamadhavam- is one full LP -verses in Malayalam by Swami Atmananda rendered excellently in the choicest ragas like Saveri, Kedaragowla, Mukhari, Subhapanthuvarali, Revathi eic (11 ragas). The rendering and the meanig of the slokas are so touching that I have heard thousands of times. About 10-12 years back, daily I will hear that before going to bed. The music is simply haunting. But you will enjoy it only if you can understand Malayalam.
May I know if the MalayaLam song by Smt.MSS is available in a CD ? Can you kindly give a rough translation of the song? or guide me to a web-page where is is available? In which year did she give that concert? Can you kindly upload it to soundcloud and provide the link here, please?
Thank you

RSR

Post by RSR »

These are some of the best renderings,
1) janaki ramaNaa - suddhaseemandhini- TNR Nagaswaram, Madurai Mani Iyer, DKPattammaL
2) Baso more nainanme nandalala - Yaman- from Hindi Meera film ( 1947) Smt.MSS
3) intha sowkyamu ( kapi) by Madurai Mani Iyer
4) kanthan karuNai puriyum vadivel -beemplas - Madurai Mani Iyer
5) veLLaith thaamaraip poovil iruppaAL... Lyrics by Barathy, beemplaas, Madurai Mani Iyer
6) brocheva ( kamaj) by Smt.MSS( 1949)
7) kAlaitth thookki nindraadum ( yadukulakambodhi) Smt.MSS(PRE 1950)
8) Ananda nadanam AdinAL ( by NCVasanthakokilam) Kambodhi
9) dheyvath thamizh naattinile veNNilaave -lyrics Kalki, Ragamalika ( jonpuri, first stanza, chenchurutti last stanza)
by Smt.MSS ( 1946)
10) sangeetha gnyaanamu bakthi vina ( Dhanyasi) vintage record by Smt.DKP
11) poonguyil koovidum solaiyil (kapi) lyrics by Kalki ..Smt.DKP * vintage record)
12) mAmava mAdava Deva ( neelaambari) vintage record by DKP
13) kaliyugadali hari -ragam chenchuriutti..Smt.MS ..Purandaradasa
14) mannum imayamalai ..lyrics Barathy...ragam chenchurutti..Smt.MS
15) nenjukku neethiyum ..ragam sindhubairavi...lyrics Barathy....Smt.MS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As film songs seem to be allowed, these are some great songs by Lata Mangeshkar

1) yeh zindagi ki ( film Anarkali,,music by CRamachandra) beemplaas plus
2) man mohana bade jhoote -(film...Seema) Sankar Jaikishan -jaijaivanthi
3) woh chand jahan ...( duet with Aasha ) film Sharada ..music C.Ramachandra ..Hamsadwani
http://picosong.com/wedRD
4) mere man ka bawra pancj .film amardeep ..music C.Ramachandra ( HM BAIRAVI?)
http://picosong.com/wedyw
5) hoy re woh din kyon na aaye ,,film Anuradaha . musiv Pandit Ravishankar 1962 ragam kalavathi ( janasanmohini>) https://youtu.be/1gXV_emVg0o
6) mujphe iljaam ...film yasmin ... music CRamachandra
7) AEI PYAR TERI DUNIYA ( JAANJAR) ( 1953) a haunting Behag ,,music C.Ramachandra
https://youtu.be/fwS-KUiCJ_g

Here are a few by Rafi
!) ud ja ud ja ...-FILM ---KAAGAZ KI PHOOL ----1959
https://youtu.be/n9rmvj-fnIg
2) yaadh na jaye - dil ek mandir-- keerwani HM style

Talat
1) jaye thu jaye kahan-- jonpuri taxi driver..SD Burman?
2) rath ne kya kya - music by salilchaowdry -film ek gaon ki kahani
https://youtu.be/TcaLoRloH5k
3) humse aaya na gaya .. film dekh kabira roya ..music.. Madan Mohan ragam Bagesree?

hemanth.8

Post by hemanth.8 »

My goosebump renditions are:
1) Eti janma meetira in VaraLi
2) Ninne nera namminanura in PantuvaraLi
3) Entha punyave gopi enthA bhAgyave yashOde
4) Sharadhe Karunanidhe in Hamir kalyani
5) Raararajeeva lochana Rama in Mohana
List continues though.

rahm221

Post by rahm221 »

1. Thalli Ninnu Nera in Kalyani rendered by DKP/DKJ
2. Birana Brova idhe in Kalyani by SSI/MSS
3. Seshachala Nayakam in Varali
4. Ekadantham Bhajeham in Bilahari

Narayanan NB

Post by Narayanan NB »

1) TMK's Kamboji alapanai followed by O rangashayee with neraval at Bhuloka Vaikuntam
2) SSI's Kharaharapriya alapanai followed by Chakkani raja
3) Vijay Siva's Brindavana Saranga alapanai followed by Sounderarajam ashraye
4) MMI's Mohana Rama with Lalgudi on violin
5) Ramnad Krishnan's Maakelara with MSG on violin
6) Lalgudi's short Vasantha alapanai followed by Ramachandran Bhavayami

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

so many are there ..... which one to state and which to leave
And what's the point of this anyways - r u going to listen to everyone's favourite songs - mostly will be the same usual popular songs that everybody has heard time and again

sploosh

Post by sploosh »

Here's my list:

Devi Brova Samayamithe
Kamakshi Bangaru ( OMG!!)
Sree Nathadi Guruguho
Arul Seiyya Vendum Ayya
Kaddanuvariki
Nee daya rada
Nekkurugi Unnai
Dinamani Vamsha