my son aditya mohan

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
gdg

Post by gdg »

'
Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

gdg

Post by gdg »

'
Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Wish him Godspeed in the pursuit of excellence in CM!
Do post some of his renderings (if you can) so that we cyber rasikas too can enjoy his talent!

gdg

Post by gdg »

'
Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Delighted to hear about the youngster's gift. Who better to guide him than a guru who was a prodigy himself? As Aditya's gifts unfold, I hope he gets to experience the magic of childhood which is the birthright of every child. Art can take its time but childhood is fleeting. Good luck to Aditya!

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ahhh--- how many of us wish we we *born* with musical skills?

I don't think you mentioned his age?

Humility is one of toughest lessons to learn, especially in youth; perhaps it will be one of your fatherly responsibilities to instill :)

May his career be long and beautiful....

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

Nick, you have made your point very cleverly but it seems to have eluded the target! ;)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Being unable to think of an appropriate response, I remain tongue tied.
Last edited by srkris on 06 Oct 2006, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

no it did not sound like an advertisement- to me atleast.
Though I must admit that as i read your first post
the clip of the song where Balraj Sahni holds up his son for the world to see and sings -Thujhe Suraj Kahe Ya Chanda -- in Ek Phool Do Mali
ran through my mind.That was one great piece of picturising !
So was your post.
On a serious note
Whenever I attended ravikirans concerts twentfive years ago , I could barely believe my eyes.Those were supernatural moments and I sincerely hope your son does live up to the promise.

and before he becomes copyrightable, you could treat us to some music of his.
members in this forum are generally a very thirsty lot and lack of tracks could color their moods !

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

coolkarni wrote:Whenever I attended ravikirans concerts twentfive years ago , I could barely believe my eyes.Those were supernatural moments
Same experience for me attending the concert of 13 year old U.Srinivas

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

mohanji

u can u/l using:
DELETED

Using the "Browse" button:
1. Select the file that u want to share and press upload.
2. U will receive 2 links one is download-link ( this u post/share on the forum) and one to delete ( do not post/share this).

Look fwd to ur son clip.
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Alternative sites:

www.rogepost.com/

www.yousendit.com/

www.ohshare.com/

The user interface for all these is quite intutive.

-Ramakriya

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Sir,

The link is not working ! Either the file number is wrong OR there some linkage between RTP and Aditya Mohan in the end is missing !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

For a 15-year old kid, admirable effort. Well done.
Is the pallavi set to caturaSra jAti jhampe tALa?

meena

Post by meena »

kuddos to the young lad :)

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

God's gift the carnatic music.....our blessings to the child....we sincerely hope that the parents would spend more of their time and energy in motivating and moulding the child to even greater heights.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Aditya has a nice voice and good imagination.
Sincere suggestion: Emphasise stronger sruti alignment. This will stand him in good stead for years to come.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Father of Aditya Mohan
Can you zip the mp3 and reupload your son's mp3. My company has implemented a sonic firewall , it does not allow me to upload .

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear Mr.Mohan, Felt extremely glad to go through the details of your prodigious son, Chi.Aditya. I have also trained two kids, one Violinist and another Vocalist, of the same age group of your son. I have evolved a special method of teaching music, either for Vocal or Violin to quicken the process of learning. I have always been used more to initiate them than teaching them even the special Laya-exercises even before starting the primary Saralee-svaras to instill confidence in them and also to make them independent. While Shruti gives Soukhyam the Laya instills confidence in the aspirant and always confidence is more important than worth. Any person succeeds in his task if he has confidence in him even without worth and fails even if he has worth but without confidence. So, to instill much confidence in your prodigious son please find an able Mridangam-player to train him in different Gatis as follows to make him proficient in all the Gatis, Trisra, Chaturashra, Khanda and Mishra-gatis (need not bother much about Sankeerna-gati as there are 3 Trisra divisions in it). Every time explaining him the mathematical implication of each one of the below varieties make him render:
(i) Trisra (3 - ta-ki-ta), Khanda (5 - ta-dhi-gi-na-ta) and Mishra (7 - taa-dhee-gi-na-ta) jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Chaturashra-gati both in Eka-kala (per beat 4-units) and Dvi-kala (per beat 8-units),
(ii) Chaturashra (4 - ki-ta-ta-ka), Khanda and Mishra-jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Trisra-gati both in Eka-kala and Dvi-kala,
(iii) Trisra, Chaturashra and Mishra-jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Khanda-gati,
(iv) Trisra, Chaturashra and Khanda-jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Mishra-gati.

In fact, we are having abundant talent in our kids but it should at first be located by the efficient teachers, tapped and brought out properly. I wish your prodigious son a very bright future like a torch bearer to the society. Ever yours, amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 08 Oct 2006, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Adityamohan,
You have a melodious and an emotive voice. To sing a pallavi
is no easy task. Pallavi expert Chengelpet Ranganathan in a Kutcheribuzz interview in the current issue speaks of the rigors one has to go through for singing a pallavi. Valuable information for you there. Given your age, you are really gifted. We look forward to your growing up to be a full fledged vidwan. Keep up your enthusiasm and love for CM :)
Last edited by arasi on 07 Oct 2006, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nice rendition of the RTP. He has got a nice and pliable voice. He demonstrates a lot of promise at such an young age. He has all the time in the world to become a top class musician. Best wishes for a great career as a musician.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I was impressed with the dedication of this young boy. He needs encouragement and assistance to turn out to be an asset for CM. At the same time since he is very young he should not be 'pushed' through over enthusiasm! Genius is inborn and will bloom and manifest in its own time but forcing it will destroy the psyche as well as the life of the individual

I wish him all the best and the grace of God!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Very Impressive. I hope you will post many more from your prodigious son .

With Good wishes and god's grace
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 08 Oct 2006, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

gundakriya

Post by gundakriya »

Ummm... there is a world of difference between 'prodigal' and 'prodigious'. I'm sure you meant the latter! :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Interesting. The father's ID is Aditya mohan and so others have addressed him in their posts. Since the thread he started reads 'my son aditya mohan, I have addressed the son!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

very nice rendition,
sounds like TNS in his younger days

completelyclueless

Post by completelyclueless »

After listening to the track, I had some questions:

What is the ragam...is it bowli?

When I play the track on WMP, how come it says artist is t.n.sheshagopalan; is this just a typo?

Who are the accompaniments?

Overall, I thought the boy sings extremely well for his age.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

It is in rAga rEvagupti -
-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 09 Oct 2006, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Mr Mohan, it is nice. My best regards. You should invite us for your son's next public performance.

rasam

Post by rasam »

whoa ... hold on ... while the youngster is good, there is hardly any comparison to either TNS or Ravikiran in their younger days. The talent is probably there but the execution is still extremely in the rough. Sruthi alignment, adherence to raga lakshnam, alapana development and tanam singing leave a lot of room for improvement. So, while the youngster needs all the encouragement he can get and should be given time to develop, lets not blow the trumpets and usher in the "next" prodigy. And why is the pallavi based on Rama in a Nataraja temple?

gavati

Post by gavati »

Rasam is right. The boy sings well, but doesn't sound like a prodigy. There is a lot to improve, especially the sruthi alignment.

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

murukavi

ok thanku, now will u care to translate for non thamiz folks!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

murukavi

You have made your point! Thank you! Please don't translate your verse. We don't want any controversial discussions in this Forum.
We respect individual opinions decently expressed.

meena

Post by meena »

murukavi

pl. ignore my post

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

I will not group Aditya into the exalted catagory of "prodigy". I have heard both Ravi Kiran and Mandalin Srinivas...they were certainly miles ahead at this age where Aditya is. l was only looking at him from the perspective of a 14 year old. He has huge talent and given the proper support and training, he will certainly become a star in the carnatic world. I agree with those who are against him being pushed to concert platform at this stage.

There is also this tendency on the parents to push the boy for training or learning from the performing musicians...eg TNS etc. I feel very strongly for children like Aditya, older musicians such as Thirvengadu Jayaraman sir, Chingalpet Ranganathan sir etc would be more suitable. They have enoromous knowledge and most importantly the experience and the patience.

Once again, best wishes to Aditya.

Sam

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.

maamoondi

Post by maamoondi »

msakella wrote:please find an able Mridangam-player to train him in different Gatis as follows to make him proficient in all the Gatis, Trisra, Chaturashra, Khanda and Mishra-gatis (need not bother much about Sankeerna-gati as there are 3 Trisra divisions in it). Every time explaining him the mathematical implication of each one of the below varieties make him render:
(i) Trisra (3 - ta-ki-ta), Khanda (5 - ta-dhi-gi-na-ta) and Mishra (7 - taa-dhee-gi-na-ta) jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Chaturashra-gati both in Eka-kala (per beat 4-units) and Dvi-kala (per beat 8-units),
(ii) Chaturashra (4 - ki-ta-ta-ka), Khanda and Mishra-jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Trisra-gati both in Eka-kala and Dvi-kala,
(iii) Trisra, Chaturashra and Mishra-jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Khanda-gati,
(iv) Trisra, Chaturashra and Khanda-jati-breaks in Adi-tala of Mishra-gati.
Sharmaji,
Quite an interesting post - I wish every singer (including instrument artistes) take note of this advise.

One other thing that I wanted to share with you is the following:
Tisra (3 - ta-ki-ta) is OK
Khanda (5 - WHY ta-di-gi-na-ta - WHY NOT ta-ka-ta-ki-ta) isnt that simple
Misra (7 - WHY taa-dee-gi-na-ta WHY NOT ta-ki-ta-ta-ka-di-mi)
Sankeerna - not necessarily 3 tisras - you could also say a chatusra and a kanda i.e. ta-ka-di-mi-ta-ka-ta-ki-ta.

Sankeerna is one gathi that was popularized to a great deal by our Guru Tanjore Sri Upendran - and in the company of Sri Harisankar on the Kanjira, both have gone into great depths analyzing Sankeernam. Please do not speak negative about a Gathi if you do not wish to popularize it. Silence is better is my personal opinion. I hope you will take my comments in right spirit - since, grooming a young talented kid is the subject of discussion. I am sorry if my words have caused an unintented dent in your feelings.

murukavi

Post by murukavi »

cmlover: I wasn't intending to translate anyway, as I think the meaning would be lost... hope the verse posting was 'decent' enough for the forum...

I understand what you mean by 'controversial discussions'. However, free expression of one's ideas without flaming anyone in particular need not necessarily be a controversy, right ?

While expression of self-glorification (however deserving it is in the writer's opinion) seems decent and encouraged, a honest feedback against such a desire to be ostentatious is indecent, is it ? I quote the following verse from Gita to remind all of us with what virtues Lord starts the list:

"amaanitwam adambhitwam ahimsa kshaantiraar javam,
Acnaaryopaasanam Saucham Sthairyam aatmavinigrahah.
Indriyaartheshu Vairaagyam anahamkaara eva cha.
Janmamrityujaraavyaadhi Dunkhadosha-anudarshanam."
-------------------Bhagavad Gita Chap. 13/Verse 8-9

msakella: Worth comes from incessant and deep practice sessions by using the techniques taught by teachers and hints given by knowledgeable well-wishers like yourself. Confidence comes slowly first based on worth and then based on opportunity to perform in front of a progressively bigger and bigger audience; confidence without worth will never succeed in the long run.

Best wishes to Aditya Mohan to learn and learn and learn a lot and become a seasoned artist who will be noticed and recognised without any need to project.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear Shri Maamoondi, Why should I take it negatively? Is there any personal matter? No! not at all. After all, this is an academic discussion only which should always become useful to one and all. I heartily welcome your knowledgeable discussion, appreciate and also thank you for the same. I also thank you for reminding me of my friend Tanjore Shri Upendran along with whom I have participated in music concerts twice or thrice (once while accompanying Dr. Balamuralikrishna, I recollect).
1)I generally prefer to have ta-ka-ta-ki-ta only for Khandam-5. But, after Khandam, I wanted to proceed to Mishram-7 to which taa-dhee-gi-na-ta will be nicer than taa-kaa-ta-ki-ta. So, I had to make a change bringing ta-dhi-gi-na-ta in place of ta-ka-ta-ki-ta after which for Mishram I need to elongate the first two syllables only conveniently.
2)It is always better to, possibly, expose our kids to the tougher exercises. Taa-dhee-gi-na-ta is a little bit tougher having two elongated syllables than ta-ki-ta-ta-ka-dhi-mi.
3)In respect of Sankeerna I have advised him to give more importance to 3, 5 & 7-gatis than Sankeerna, as it could be managed even with 3 Trisrams. I did not write anything to un-popular Sankeerna. Even after finishing these 3 Gatis at first I prefer to give him Sankeerna in the form of taa-dhee-gee-naam-ta (2+2+2+2+1) but not ta-ka-dhi-mi-ta-dhi-gi-na-ta at all to expose him to the tougher one.
This is for your kind information. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 12 Oct 2006, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

gdg

Post by gdg »

Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.