Guru sishya concept

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
chalanata

Post by chalanata »

Jk said 'it is a pathless land'. Guru Sishya concept has become an easy way for exploitation of late. Are there dedicated gurus and loyal sishyas available in the materialistic world of today?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Who is a Master ?
A Master is someone who started before you did.
He begins from the center and not the fringe.

He teaches the essence. When the essence is perceived, he teaches what is necessary to expand the perception.

Whatever he does, he does with the enthusiasm of doing it for the first time. This is the source of his unlimited energy…….

Opening lines of the book “The dancing Wu Li masters “by Gary Zukav
Chalanata
I really do not see any evidence of exploitation - In fact I feel that the masters of the past exploited a shishya , by making him do all kinds of chores at home.

Times change and definitely it is getting more difficult to exploit anybody, let alone a shishya.

The Guru Shishya System vs Teaching in a school... that is a different subject , though.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

What a wonderful and appropriate quote, coolkarni sir. Thank you for posting it.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

coolji,
i do not agree with you. probably the fabric decay started a few generations ago but it is all time high now.

musicsyndrome

Post by musicsyndrome »

I dont agree with u chalanata. There hav been gurus who hav encouraged their students by making them sing alonside in their concerts and further giving them a chance to exhibit their talents.
In turn the sishyas have justified their tallents and have made the gurus proud. The classic eg is that of MLV and Sudha Ragunathan. Even today Gurus like Raji Gopalakrishnan encourage their students by making them sing along side them in their concerts. Today the awareness is greater on both the sides and probably better than that of before.....
Last edited by musicsyndrome on 30 Nov 2006, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

probably the gurus whom i've come across are ruthless, materialistic and mean minded. msr, you are right; i can not generalise.
i have very many bitter stories about present and past gurus. my point is not only that. in our set up a talent is allowed to rest in the cupboard as long as the guru is ailve and 'kicking'
i can only quote the story of Pattinathar whose disciple was badragiriyar. badragiriyar attained mukthi before pattinathar and thereafter pattinathar must have revised his strategies for attainment of moksha. this is only to emphasise that the gurus have to identify and expose talented youngsters to the CM world.
Kudos to Raji Gopalakrishnan. may their tribe increase!