vasanthakokilam

Re: Oy BhAratiyArE!--A Child's Eye View of the Poet

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Great job, Rajesh. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
That's some initiative on your part! Keep five copies for me, please!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I never heard of a one-man-initiated reprint before! Amazing initiative. Well done :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thank you so much Rajesh. Awaiting my copy and I offer to share the expenses with you and so may some others in the Forum... Keep us posted.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you all once again (the ones I've thanked before!)--for all your kind words which you have expressed once again.

rajumds,
Thanks a lot!

Came across some more material pertaining to Bharathi, which will add to what we have here of Yadugiri's insightful look at him. They are not reviews or information, but are snippets of writing about Bharathi, which rightly belong here, and not in the other thread.
I will come up with them as soon as I can.

smala

Post by smala »

Looking forward eagerly, Arasi - hope this turns into a mega thread/project with other books on Bharati as well.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Namaskaram, Smt.Arasi.

Bharathiar will live for ever. So will Yadugiri through her book and so also Smt.Arasi, through this translation. There will be demand for reprinting of all three again and again one way or the other.

I will be one of many people who would cut and paste all the chapters into a text file and probably insert the appropriate Bharati songs, format the whole thing, convert to pdf and save as a treasure.

Shall we call the new english production

"Hello Bharathiar"
written by Yadugiri- translated into english by Smt.Arasi
First published in rasikas.org

Sri. Rajeshnat: I can undertake to buy in bulk and circulate in Bangalore. Please give instructions and I will follow.

Finally, I would like to say Thank You to Smt.Arasi. But it sounds so hollow and tears roll down my cheeks for the immeasurable service done by you to Tamil literature/ music.

I just say once again my Pranaams.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kssr
Do share your PDF file with us at this Forum..
Thx

vasanthakokilam

kssr, please do. Veeyens, please share your compilation too. Thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kssr,
Thank you, but you praise me far too much.
We are a team, we are all Bharathi's fans, and want his poetry to reach more and more readers.
It's heartening to know that many rasikAs have read this translation. I hope that all of Bharathi's books and books about him get reprinted over and over again.
Above all, as CML said, the schools should show a renewed interest in finding ways of inspiring children by introducing Bharathi to them in a way that he enlightens them with his works--and with the help of books about him.
nalladOr vINaiyAm bhAratiyai nalamoDu pENudal vENDum...

As for the title of the book: I went for Oy bhArathiyArE! because it touched me, the way Yadugiri addresses him somewhere in the book. She also prefaces her questions with BhArathiyArE! That Oy says more than what one can imagine, and we from the south of tamizh nADu know the endearment it shows. I'm afraid, Hello Bharathi cannot do it to that extent (since we use that expression even to strangers). The title can just be A Child's Eye View of Bharathi, and in parenthesis, Oy BhArathiyArE!. After all, we saw that two titles for a work was common in his time. Later, it was so with movies!

Thanks Veeyens and kssr (and Jayshri too?) for all your efforts.
Meanwhile, VKailasam has written to me that he wants to put songs of Bharathi with appropriate passages from the book on Youtube. I haven't yet gone through what he has sent me.
Last edited by arasi on 05 Sep 2011, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

Arasi's translation has been reformated to 8 by 5 page size of about 108 pages. I did not change the font size etc as the publisher and printer are in a better position to do that.It is an odf file and I can convert it to PDF.And, the million dollar question. How do I share it with you?How can I attach it as as a seperate file? or if e.mail I.D s are given it will be my pleasure to send it to you all. As I have indicated to Arasi, I feel like the squirrel who (?) helped Sri Rama build the Rama Sethu. May Sri Rama bless you all

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:kssr,
Thank you, but you praise me far too much.
"ThinaiththuNai nandri seyinUm panaiththuNayaai k
koLvar payan therivaar." Tirukkural 104

Anyone who realises the "value" of the work will agree with me. But for you we would not have known about this book of Yadugiri. Then comes the translation; sharing it with all of us. Where can we get such a ring side view of a poet/ a revolutionary / a thinker/ one of the greatest indians / one of the greatest tamilians? The circumstance under which a particular composition was made is often discussed by scholars of CM. I have heard several in the case of Saint Thyagaraja / MD /SS. But these are more or less legends- meaning not 100% reliable historical facts. But here is a totally authentic eye witness account of how and when (upto the date in some cases) Bharathiar composed particular songs; what was the social environment, what was the family environment and so on.

Believe me. it is a priceless work.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

veeyens
For the present just send the pdf file by email to those of us here as an attachment. Let me be the first to request. My email is
cmlover@rogers.com
srkris can explore and see whether it can be hosted at this forum...

P.S ..and may Lord Sri Rama bless yu and your family for the loving service you are rendering to all of us at the Forum.

Govindaswamy

Post by Govindaswamy »

I also would love to receive a pdf copy. My email address is govindaswamy.s77@gmail.com

arasi

Post by arasi »

Just now had a chance of looking at the links V. Kailasam had sent me. Please go and have a look at his website. He has taken the trouble to post the translation there, interspersing it with songs which are mentioned there, sung by various vocalists. I was bowled over to hear NCV sing piLLaip pirAyattilE! Hadn't heard that one at all before! Spring cuckoo, have you?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arasi
Do post the link where vkailasam has uploaded the pieces...

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
I have sent you mail.

smala

Post by smala »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thx smala
I have already seen it courtesy of arasi..
It is impressive with the imbedded music.
Vkailasam may also add the lyrics to those songs.
He has even added a picture of arasi!
Good work!

vasanthakokilam

Thanks for the ready link to v'kailasam's site. He has done an impressive job with the in place linking to the audio. This kind of multimedia collaboration and production is possible only in this connected age.

Arasi, I listened to the 'piLLaip pirAyattilE'. Not that I am an expert at all things NCV, but it sounded like it could have been MSS also. May be Cienu can comment. ( ref: http://e-swari.blogspot.com/2011/07/oy- ... to-12.html, at the end of chapter 5 )

cienu

Post by cienu »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Arasi, I listened to the 'piLLaip pirAyattilE'. Not that I am an expert at all things NCV, but it sounded like it could have been MSS also. May be Cienu can comment. ( ref: http://e-swari.blogspot.com/2011/07/oy- ... to-12.html, at the end of chapter 5 )
It is indeed the voice of the immortal NCV :) I did a re-check on the discography of MSS in the website www.msstribute.org and Pillai Pirayathile is not one of the songs sung by her.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Cienu.

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

N.C/V's life is a classical example of the saying that a small individual sacrifice justifies a much larger communal gain. Had she not hitched her star to C.K Sachi and come to Madras
and regaled us with her wonderful music, she would have died, probably couple of years earlier, for want of proper medical facilities, as Sundara Kamakshi,after having ground dough for couple of thousand iddlis for her hotelier husband but retaining her membership of “KalllAnAlum kaNavan pullAnAlum purushan” genre of tamilian housewives. The ref. to her transformed me to a satisfied cud chewing cow, recalling the old days when I was privileged to hear her music As I was typing this, I saw the LED indicating lamps flickering. As i was singing as usual when at the computer I panicked if my voice got embedded somehow. Only after opening the posting again, I was satisfied that you were spared the agony. May Sri Rama bless you

smala

Post by smala »

One of these days do post an audio and regale us with your best song - worry out, song in. :D May Sri Rama bless you.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Veeyenes, from what I can tell about Smt. NCV (especially from some wonderful writings of Radnor Guy), she met and hitched her 'star' to Satchi much after she came to Madras. Her dad brought her to the Mecca of music to get her career going.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

....and that Satchi was the one who ruined her life robbing her of all her wealth..

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

Or is it another case of "from frying pan into the fire"Re# 300, I was away from "Mecca of Music" from 1938 to 1947 and my posting is based more on heresay info and you may be correct. But for NCV, leaving her husband and seeking freash pastures required great mental courage in those days. Her gamble succeded

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

These are cases of aggravated domestic violence in those days!
Bharathy was not immune either: He was no saint for all his progressive thoughts since he belonged to that era...

smala

Post by smala »

cmlover wrote:These are cases of aggravated domestic violence in those days!
Bharathy was not immune either: He was no saint for all his progressive thoughts since he belonged to that era...
How do you know - is it hearsay, conjecture or did someone like Chellammal or Thangamma mention domestic violence? That she had a very hard time when he was thinking deeply on the issue of Women's Equality is known from Chellammal's En Kanavar. She also states she was the Queen of his affections in the same piece!

arasi

Post by arasi »

The way I see it: Chellamma adored her husband and was forever moved by his muse. He was also her teacher (and in that sense, he taught her a thing or two, like questioning him and arguing with him about the nitty gritty). As a poet who was not a proper householder(Bhagyalakshmi Ammal did not have that problem at all--Iyer, inspite of his intellect and imagination was a no-nonsense, practical samsAri).
Had Bharathi not allowed it, Chellamma would have suffered silently and it would have been just her father who would have been resentful towards Bharathi. Even her brother seems to have been in friendly terms with him. At least, we see it in Puduvai, and Yadugiri does not mention any arguments between Appadurai and Bharathi.

CML,
Yes, here was a man living a century ago who was as liberal as he possibly could have been, given the time period. He did not mean to practice the opposite of what he preached about women being free. His creative genius awed and frustrated Chellamma at the same time. That's why we find contrasting comments from her about her husband. When she finally went back to Kadayam, her problems weren't solved. Bharathi was an outcast in the village, set up in a house away from the agrahAram. She was torn in her sentiments under these circumstances!

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

here is one more perspective. Chellammal gave the interview in 1951, ndia was in cloudnine after getting independence and now a repiblicwhen the People tend to fofrget unsvoury past but it does not mean it did not exist. Chellammal did not retain her grudge for thirty years, and when the whole country is happy, she did not want to throw a spanneer.Bharathi did not give Vasantham,which can be experienced in and only in the commencement of married life. If you dont enjoy it then it is lost. True Bharati gets A+ in his patriotism, love of poetry, to rid society f decadent ideas blah blah but gets a measly d in his treatment of his wife; You can deweed a temple courtyard, remove thorns water the plants and at the same time can not use it as a toilet. Sri Rama is my Ishta Devata yet I can not digest his sending his pregnant wife to the jungle just because of a casual remark of a bystander. Bharathi was a great patriot but a poor husband. Nakkerar sid “Mukkan thirappinum kutrum kutrme” May Sri Rama bless you

smala

Post by smala »

Last 6-7 posts (from post #300) can be moved to Bharathiyar Discussions thread - CML you have started and violated your own rule by dumping this unsavory stuff on the sweet mood of this Yadugiri memoirs thread!

This post may be deleted after the 6-7 posts above mine are moved!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

smala
I respect your views but do not try to impose it on others. My remarks are based on what I have read abut Bharathy long time ago and I do not have any references. To you all this is new and you have your personal opinion.

I guess instead of closing this this thread related issues be discussed here though digressions should be minimized with minimal moderation...

smala

Post by smala »

This post belongs to the discussions thread and may be moved along with previous ones.
cmlover wrote:smala
I respect your views but do not try to impose it on others.

Please re-read what I said and show me where I "imposed" anything. Kindly follow your own advice about discussions to be made in the Bharathiyar discussions thread. The string of posts from #300 belong there.

cmlover wrote:My remarks are based on what I have read abut Bharathy long time ago and I do not have any references.
If you do not have references what you read may have been hearsay, or else you should be able to substantiate, say who exactly you are quoting from. I too have read some things floating around, maybe not as much as you so would like to know.

cmlover wrote:I guess instead of closing this this thread related issues be discussed here though digressions should be minimized with minimal moderation...
Till post 300 - this remained a Yadugiri memoirs thread - sweet capture and view of a Bharathi, till it took a turn.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: Once when I get the 100 copies I will notify again and then let us then find a way to distribute to each of you or better yet a group of 10 can take 10 copies each and distribute to your city/area.
I have the 100 copies of yadugiri ammal's biography with me , the publisher has delivered to me all the 100 copies. I prefer to distribute to someone from Bangalore, some who are interested in US , some one in chennai etc , who can distribute to other forumites who are interested . The book is Rs 45 /- each. I will also bring many copies when we meet this year end(hopefully) or else just in case if I miss ,will pass it to some forumite who is attending this year's meet.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Good news! Please reserve one for me, so I can give it to Sushi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
You are something! Time for jaya bhErigai!;)
Let's not forget folks at Amuda Nilayam. Big thanks to them!
Please keep 20 copies for me. One brand new copy for us, a few for Dwaraki and for others.

smala

Post by smala »

I'd love to get a copy - whoever you send it to in the U.S.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajesh
Waiting for my copy hot from the press!
Somebody should uundertake to distribute them in NA.
I will be happy to do so but then I am on travel till the middle of October..
Any takers?

arasi

Post by arasi »

It's a long time since we have spent time with Bharathi (as we saw him through the eyes of Yadugiri). My travels kept me busy, and I've been occupied even after I returned from India.

One of the highlights of my stay in India was the afternoon I spent with Yadygiri' s family (children, grandchildren and others). The hospitality they offered me was moving. I recorded what they had to say about that Yadugiri who has found a place in the heart of many of us. I also have a few photographs to share, and am hoping that my friends on the forum will help me with the technical stuff. Pratyaksham Bala from Puduchery is very good at gathering material, of course.

Of those that I did not meet that day, was a very special man--valimai maindan (Bharathi's name for him)--Parthasarathy who lives in Chennai, the baby brother of Yadugiri (ninety five now!). I spoke to him on the phone and was amazed at his clarity of mind and enthusiasm. A pity, I missed meeting him in person while I was in Chennai. He was away in Hyderabad then.

The interview is quite long, with about ten of them speaking of Yadugiri, but it unfolds her life to us. Don't know how good the sound quality is going to be when it is heard on the forum.
With some help, I suppose we can go back and get more glimpses of Bharathi's life through the eyes of Yadugiri's family.We knew the girl who grew up to be a young woman and now, we get to know her as the mother, grandmother...

I brought back more material about Bharathi, thanks to them.
And the only other Yadugiri in the family ( a grand daughter) was such a help besides being so charming.
She knew my inability (and of many others too!) in understanding relationships in a big family where inter-marrying and repeat of names cloud our understanding no end. She drew a family tree which I will post also, so that we can refer to it often! Not only that. She reveals the fact that Ranganayaki, younger sister of Yadugiri is also a writer! More of that later...

How those years of living in the light of the mahA kavi influenced the family!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Wow, Arasi, can't wait....
Thank you, in advance....

smala

Post by smala »

Looks like there's a lot of material collected by you, arasi - audio, writings. Looking forward.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi, Thanks!

Of course, we can't forget the family Yadugiri came from. Yadugiri's father Mandayam Srinivasachari, his cousin Thirumalachari and others were patriots who were prepared to do anything for the freedom of India. They stayed together in times of trouble, helping their fellow freedom fighters.

Mala,
I'm glad to hear from you. I hope you are going to be happier, reading more on Bharathi and a bit more of his writing as well.

vasanthakokilam

This thread feels very special..We feel very special..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks arasi
In addition to Bharathy we also need to know about the folks around him - the social milieu! It is nice of you doing the investigative Journalism.
Let us get to know about Mandayam Srinivasachari the forgotten contemporary! Take your time and post the materials in the order you wish. I am sure there is help among our folks in formatting and posting audio/video that you have collected. Perhaps a new thread for these materials. You decide..

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Your confidence in me is encouraging ;)
Yes, the milieu! There are several things I want to share--and it looks as though an order of a sort you find in scholarly works will be missing here, given my nature which lacks any scholarly streak in it!
So, your 'in any order you wish' is an agreeable statement, because that's how it's going to be, I'm afraid!

As for starting a new thread: I don't think so. Actually, it will be better if we bring together the other two threads on Bharathi, and keep this Oy bhArathiyArE thread for continuing my posts now. Of course, there will be matters which may belong to the other thread (after the two become one), but we can't help it, since things I've to say are intertwined with material which feature other individuals outside of Mandayam Sri Sri Acharya's family.
I am happy to see Bharathi and the folks around him from the eyes of this family at the moment. I may find a few other things which I will post in the other thread. Scholars and researchers among us can add richness to that thread, by providing us more insight into that great period of history to which the bard belonged.

The reason I want just the two threads? I find that every time I go to General Discussions, I have to scroll way down to find new threads! I'm not alone in this, I'm sure!
So, I hope it's agreeable if there are only two threads: Oy bhArathiyArE! and just another one which we may call: More About Mahakavi Subramania Bharathi (doing away with the present two thread titles). What do you folks think?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

This thread is about the book that you so lucidly translated and collected by dear veeyens into a bookas also decorated by Vkailasam with the audios.

Now the rest is about the "people" and their offsprings. Better they be in a separate thread. Yadugiri and her family will be an independent subject!

Just my opinion!

vasanthakokilam

CML: I see what you mean, that this is really a different but related topic and so it is good to have it as a separate topic. But our forum does not have a way of bundling together related topics so they stay together. Over time, depending on when members post to the two threads, they will grow apart since the threads are arranged chronologically and it will be hard to find it.

One thing we can do is to cross link the two topics, or make both of them sticky but that is often less than satisfactory.

That may be the strong reason to put them all together as long as the posts are some what related to Bharathi. Let us see how it goes and we can split them later if necessary.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Agreed.
It will be nice if we have a mechanism to cross-link related threads. Even our search will not help since it looks only at topic titles and not contents!

Are you aware of any search-engine endowed with Artificial Inelligence to search contents of our posts?

arasi

Post by arasi »

While you pros find the best way to deal with this, let me go back to that day of meeting Yadugiri's famiy.
I spoke to Dawaraki on the phone. She came by with her niece Yadugiri, and said how happy she was that the book was translated into English and was so well-received on Rasikas.org. They were thrilled that their mother's (grandmother's) book on the great poet can be read now even by those who are not familiar with the thamizh script. From then on, Yadugiri (the grand daughter) became the guide and great help in my meeting the family and in my re-living he time with Yadugiri.
After the exciting time that they spent on reminiscing at Dwaraki's house, a pot luck party ensued, with Dwaraki's delicious huLiyOgre (puLi sAdam) and different goodies that each of them brought with them. Oh, before that, they honored me by the now rigorously practiced ritual of honor--of 'shawl'ing me! Not once, but twice! I was overwhelmed. Well, the honoring was for Rasikas.org, no doubt, and to Rajesh who took the trouble of getting the original reprinted (I gave them copies).

We cannot edit this audio. Each of them speak of Yadugiri and her family, their thoughts and experiences aloud. You hear thamizh, a bit of karnATakA thamizh and a mix of English. In their excitement they rush to say things by way of exchanging memories. By listening to them, we get a picture of the girl we know as she grew up into a woman, had eight children, took care of them, ran a household, became an invalid and left this earth rather in a hurry.

Before bringing the audio interview on--with the help of VK, I want to say something about what Dwaraki and Yadugiri large-heartedly shared with me.
Dwaraki gave me the book Chithira BhArathi which her uncle valimai maindan had given to her and her husband on his sixtieth birthday. Dwaraki let me borrow it. It has a hard cover, but the pages are fragile. I hesitated to make photo copies and she said.'take it with you'!
Chithira BhArathi is edited by the invaluable Bharathi scholar and publisher rA.a.Padmanabhan whom we know. It came out as BharathiyAr's Centenary Publication,commissioned by Chennai BhArathiAr Sangam in 1982.
The important thing to note here is that this is a reprint of his original work published in 1954. A lot more material is added here--the fruit of his tireless search for more information and pictures about the mahAkavi.

The other book which Yadugiri junior gave me came as a surprise. We did not know that thangak kiLi (as named by Bharathi) Ranganayaki, younger sister of Yadugiri was a writer as well! Her book, BhArathiyAr illaRa nADagam (One Act Plays on the Life of Bharathi) was published by Vanathi Padippagam in 1981! She also gave me Mandayam Sri. Sri. Acharya's translations of french stories into thamizh! A sheaf of papers in Yadugiri's writing of the rough copy of her book...
How did she get them? Now, hold your breath and be ready for the complexities of repeated names and marriages within the family! Not only was Ranganayaki her pATTi Yadugiri's sister, she was also her mother-in-law. Thanks to Yadugiri, she gave us the family tree, but I'm still trying to learn from it!