Spirituality

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

Post by Guest »

Why do performing artistes always talk of being closer to God by singing or dancing? What is the use of singing hymns in praise of God when they cannot have integration between body and mind?

K.R.NagaSundaram

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Could you be more specific? What do you mean by integration between body and mind?

param

Post by param »

do you mean that while trhe body is involved in a variety of chaste and unchaste activityies - how could it mingle with the mind into integration in quest of God?
For one thing - u are not achieving by listening to such music either - for you tend to pick out flaws instead of trying to fructify from the song you just heard.
Any work that the body does - while the mind is in constant thought of God reaches you closer to God. Even a Prostitute who while rendering her body as a playful object to mankind - but is in constant thought of God will attain salvation soon.

jaisrikrishna

Post by jaisrikrishna »

Dear Kodaganallur

Srimad Bhagawatham guides us by giving us the nine ways of bhakthi

"shrvanam Kirtthanam Vishno: Smaranam" (Listening, Singing and remembering God)

Only when we take the whole sentence into consideration, it would make any sense. Hence, as param had pointed out , only when the mind thinks of lords divya swaroopam , one shall get closer to him. Out of the nava vidha bhakthis , shravanam and kirtanam are THE easiest ways to get closer to him in the kaliyuga.

As tyagayya practised, NAdOpAsana is a such a wonderful and easiest ways to please the NAdapriyan (EmperumAn) by singing with unadulterated bhakthi.

The naadopAsana expert himself sings in one of the krithis "Sangitha Gnanamu Bhakthi VinA" The same applies to "Sangeetha Gaanamu shravanamu bhakthi vina"...

Best Wishes
Tyagayya DAsan ,krishna
http://krischronicles.blogspot.com

kodaganallur1

Post by kodaganallur1 »

Any work that the body does - while the mind is in constant thought of God reaches you closer to God. Even a Prostitute who while rendering her body as a playful object to mankind - but is in constant thought of God will attain salvation soon.

That is absolute crap. A prostitute as depicted by you does no justice to her profession as well.

What I meant was about those performing artistes who while indulging in unchaste activities otherwise sing hymns in praise of god. Their posturing in public is even worse. When I see such artistes I only remember the Bharathiyar song

Nenju porkkudhillaiye indha nilai ketta mandharai ninaikkaiyile

Kodaganallur R Nagasundaram

param

Post by param »

I hope you have read the story of Kumbhar who is also a known as a saint but at the same time - as the story goes - is the killer of his own son.

If your words are to be taken in the spirit they are written - then I do agree that a prostitute or for that matter even you and I cannot be called worshippers of God at all. Also to be added to that list is any human being - whether he is a priest, a preacher, a musician, a king, a minister, a soldier or in any other profession.

It is not necessary to take note of the profession you are engaged. What is more important is how often do you remember the Lord. And if a lady engaged in prostitution were to remember Him all day through - even a while engaged in the act of prostitution - would be dear to Him more than the others who remember Him only while engaged in the act of worship. A prostitute is a prostitute only to feed herself and those who depend on her. And she is forced into prostitution by MALES of or society who on one hand does these kind of NOBLE activities and also joins others to raise their voices against such ILL practices.

Read about the Miracles of the Saint of Shirdi and you will see light in what I say.

Do not judge a person by what he does (as is seen to the eyes) - but by what he does otherwise. Remembering God constantly will take you near to God sooner than by reciting some hymns at a certain point of time and engaging yourself in other actions without any thought of God.

Regards,

Parameswaran Iyer

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Well My mind keeps going back to the first time I read the short story "Rain" by Somerset Maugham.

I still quiver with excitement the way the last line in the story , uttered by the Girl( "You men , You are all the same ") with the hapless priest inside, was made to leap upon me by the author.

Boy ! It did take an artist -after all-to put it in perspective!!!!

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

the ruling planet for fine arts is venus and it is the ruling planet for vices also. that's why our forefathers associated fine arts to Gods to enable the practitioners to keep the mind under control.

Jyothsna_music

Post by Jyothsna_music »

spirituality.....

hmm,.......Again a big ocean. I would like to leave my comments here.

There are different practices to serve God like sravanam , keerthanam etc etc the nava vidha bhakthis. Out of which its up to the devotee to choose the path. some feel duty is God.My understanding is

what ever you do you should do it with passion as an offering to God.

I dont want to write a big write up as it may make many bore.

Rgds
Jyothsna SaiRam

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

Jyothsna,

Sairam! Sairam!

Jyothsna_music

Post by Jyothsna_music »

Hi chalanata

coool:D

Rgds
Jyothsna SaiRam