Introducing "KrithiBook" - an app for iPhone and Android

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sridharrajagopal

Re: Introducing "KrithiBook" - an app for iPhone and Android

Post by sridharrajagopal »

Hi Arunk,

I just happened to come across this post (when it showed "similar topics" to "Introducing My TalaVadayam"!) :-) Sounds like a great effort, and can't wait to try it out!

Regards,
Sridhar

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Dear Arun,

Is any update to the iPhone app planned? Has there been an update since it was first introduced?

Here is my wishlist for improvements:

1. Purandaradasa Kritis - The listing only has songs from A to I - the last song I find is "I tanuva" - how about including the rest (J to Z)?

2. How about including more composers? e.g. Arunagirinathar (at least the most popular thiruppugazh's), the Tamil Trinity (Arunachala Kavi, at least), Ambujam Krishna, Dr Balamuralikrishna, ... I am sure others may have more to add to this list

3. Big one: How about adding lyrics for Syama Sastri kritis, and if possible the non-trinity composers as well? An option to connect to a server and download kritis is fine, if adding them offline will make the app bulkier

Regards,
Sridhar

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks Sridhar.

Planned but not enough time off late :-(. Was planning to add SS krithis at the least.

Hmm. I will check what happened to PD krithis. That was not the intent.

One of the troubles in simply taking different sources (besides copyrights etc.) is that I need them in a way that will allow the app to render it in different languages (tamil and sanskrit - and hopefully in telugu on iphone IF Apple has fixed some bugs in their rendering). So I need the text to be in a certain translit scheme (http://arunk.freepgs.com/cmtranslit/cmt ... cheme.html), which was actually "crowd-source" designed in a way on this very forum. This scheme tries to place the phonetic representation foremost (and relies on renderer to take care of script specific idiosyncracies). This is not as big an issue for non-tamil krithis as existing translit schemes are close enough for me to xlate them to this scheme. But Tamil is a huge issue - the script itself as you know ambiguous which is profoundly accentuated when you have sanskrit phrases brought in and so depending on the original source, you may have a decent to a poor representation, and cannot necessarily accepted as-is or blindly xlated (it may look ok in English but will look quite horrible in devanagiri or even Tamil). Thus in general adding lyrics is going to be a much slow(er) process. Song titles have the same issue but then I can spend some time and manually adjust 500 entries or so - but lyrics for 500 songs - that is a much more laborious task :-)

Arun

mohan

Post by mohan »

Wondering what happened to the KrithiBook app for Android devices. Can't seem to find it on the Google Play store anymore. It's still on the Apple iTunes store however.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I have it and it works. Android 9.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes it works for existing users but seems to have disappeared on the Google Play store.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Is the Krithibook app still avialable on iOS app store? I can't seem to find it now.

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Isn't it like a database app for carnatic providing basic info? I thought we rasikas don't need an app to tell us which raga or krithi it is etc. I thought we rasikas who do hair-splitting debates on fine points of ragas, talas, krithi, etc., in this site already have profound knowledge on carnatic music. Here I am, feeling disillusioned, proved wrong.

Shocked to find this basic commonplace thought behind the app appealing to people here. Whatever happened to unique ideas?