Introducing "KrithiBook" - an app for iPhone and Android

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arunk

Re: Introducing "KrithiBook" - an app for iPhone and Android

Post by arunk »

Thanks cml - I am glad you are finding use for it.

Lyrics is possible and seems like a natural enhancement, but it is a tall order because of the # of songs => a lot more laborious effort to get them in etc. So I wont rule it out but cant commit a timeline etc. - doing it of course incrementally is the only viable way, but I need to find a suitable way of doing that.

Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I know Arun which is why I said the Trinity to start with. All of them are available in machinereadable format already (thanks to Govindan). And there won't be any copyright violations! Touch base with our Lakshman too..

emilija

Post by emilija »

I really was thinking how great it would be to have such app and here it is! Downloaded it to my iPod, it's brilliant!
It would be great to have the lyrics of the compositions as well.

Really thanks for this much needed app!
Emilija

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thank you very much Emilija!

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

Hello Rasikas,

I am excited to announce the next version of KrithiBook an app for iPad/iPhone/Android which would be an invaluable resource to carnatic music connoiseurs all over the world.

KrithiBook is an essential companion app for all Carnatic Music connoiseurs! It is a handy quick reference to more than 4250 songs (krithis) featuring most of the major Carnatic Music composers. For each song, the title, the raga (with mēḷa, ārōhaṇa, avarōhaṇa), the tala and the composer is provided. All informaton is cross-referenced in multiple ways resulting in a simple, yet powerful storehouse of knowledge!

What's new in this version:
  • - Lyrics and word-by-word meaning for all Thyagaraja krithis! Many thanks to Shri V. Govindan for allowing me to use his wonderful lyrics and meanings database. I am also happy to time a release with thie feature on the same day as the starting of the Cleveland Aradhana :-)
    - Added songs of Purandara Dasa, Oothukkadu Venkatakavi, Mysore Vasudevacharya, and Mysore Jayamaraja Wodeyar.
    - Total number of songs is now more than 4250. (more than 1000 songs were added for this new release)
    - Runs on iPad natively.
    - Supports landscape mode (besides portrait mode), which should help when viewing lyrics and meaning.
    - Improved fuzzy search.
    - Fixed bugs, typos.
The app is priced at $9.99. This update is free for all current users of Krithibook.

You can get more information about KrithiBook at http://arunk.freepgs.com/krithibook

Thanks
Arun

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Great work, Arun. Thanks.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Hi Arun - I got the Android update and applied it. Now the app crashes when I start it, every time. Should I uninstall completely and reinstall? Will the Google market recognise that I have previously paid for the app if I do that?

arunk

Post by arunk »

Oh no! Sorry about that! I dont know why it is doing that. I believe you should be able to uninstall and reinstall on the phone - since what you paid is tracked against your google account.

Arun

mohan

Post by mohan »

I uninstalled completely and then reinstalled from the Google Play (market). It started ok and seems to be working fine for now. Still no copy details feature - which would be useful. Nice to have the lyrics for Thyagaraja kritis.

arunk

Post by arunk »

I am glad it worked. It looks like a database upgrade problem I.e. new code got installed but previous database wasn't overwritten with the new database. I am puzzled as to why because the android system has built-in upgrade features and I'm using it and I especially tested this while development. But on googling I'm seeing that other developers have run into it as well. I'm not sure at this point if there is a bug in some specific versions of the platform or whether all the required procedures for proper upgrade of application databases are being followed by my app. Frustrating - obviously not the user experience any developer wants. I will keep hunting.

Copy feature - sorry. I do have that mind but lyrics was the big thing many people wanted and that took a while to get done. I will definitely get this in for the next version.

Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arun I eagerly upgraded.
Then the songs database now is empty.
What should I do?
My App is on iPhone 3G

arunk

Post by arunk »

Can you try deleting the app on your phone, and reinstalling? To delete, press the icon of the app for a couple of seconds - it (in fact all icons) should then "vibrate" (visually) with a big X on it. Touch the X and it would remove it. You should then be able to connect to update again (or if you transferred via iTunes, you can transfer again)

Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Voila!
It worked.
So nice to have the lyrics of T (with meaning)!
I love the Tamil version.. Grateful to Govindan for the permission
Thank you so much Arun for the prompt help!!

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks. I guess this database upgrade was trickier than I thought. I will try my best to fix this in the next few days so that existing users dont experience this problem!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arun, I have it on my iPad, and had to go through the deleting and reinstalling process....but it works well now.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arun
Consider incorporating MD and SS.
They are not copyrighted...

arunk

Post by arunk »

Hello Rasikas,

I am excited to announce the next version (version 1.2) of KrithiBook, an app for iPad/iPhone/Android which would be an invaluable resource to carnatic music connoiseurs all over the world..

Version 1.2 adds the following new features:
  • Added lyrics for songs of Muthuswami Dikshitar (Lyrics are now supported for Thyagaraja and Dikshitar songs thanks to Shri. V. Govindan).

Added songs of Periasami Thooran, Andal, Ramnad Srinivasa Iyengar, and Arasi Rajee Krishnan . Total number of songs is now more than 4600!

Added "copy" feature to song detail page to copy the details of the song (song name - raga - tala - composer) to clipboard to help towards preparing concert song lists.

(iPhone/iPad only) Added "Now Playing" feature which does a fuzzy match of the currently playing song against the songs in the database.
The app is priced at $9.99. This update is free for all current users of Krithibook.

You can get more information about KrithiBook at http://arunk.freepgs.com/krithibook

Note for existing users: The new version 1.2 should not have upgrade/update problems that was present with the earlier version 1.1 upgrade. However, if you are having problems after updating to the new version, please delete the app from your phone/tablet device, and install the new version

Thanks
Arun

mohan

Post by mohan »

Was able to update easily. Thanks for adding the copy feature and the Dikshitar lyrics!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I purchased the app sometime back. Thanks to this thread, I found I could update to add MD lyrics!
To really expand the utility of such an app, it would be nice to collaborate and add links to (via web connection)
Raga clips
Song clips

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks mohan.

rsachi - thanks for the feedback. There was some logistical and other issues behind providing those features. Maybe in the future. Thanks for your support!

Arun

arasi

Post by arasi »

Arun,
Congratulations on your 'new improved' KrithiBook and thank you for adding my songs from the three CDs ;)

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks arasi and Thanks for your songs :-)

Arun

smala

Post by smala »

Is it just an info book or are the 3000 songs playable? I see from post 45 and 46, it may not be, just to confirm.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Hi smala,

It is information - basically an (cross-referenced) index (song name, composer, raga with aro/avaro, tala) for all songs, lyrics are available (in roman diacritics, tamil, and devanagiri (on iPhone/iPad) for all tyagaraja and dikshitar krithis. There is no audio.

Thanks
Arun

sridharrajagopal

Post by sridharrajagopal »

Hi Arunk,

I just happened to come across this post (when it showed "similar topics" to "Introducing My TalaVadayam"!) :-) Sounds like a great effort, and can't wait to try it out!

Regards,
Sridhar

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Dear Arun,

Is any update to the iPhone app planned? Has there been an update since it was first introduced?

Here is my wishlist for improvements:

1. Purandaradasa Kritis - The listing only has songs from A to I - the last song I find is "I tanuva" - how about including the rest (J to Z)?

2. How about including more composers? e.g. Arunagirinathar (at least the most popular thiruppugazh's), the Tamil Trinity (Arunachala Kavi, at least), Ambujam Krishna, Dr Balamuralikrishna, ... I am sure others may have more to add to this list

3. Big one: How about adding lyrics for Syama Sastri kritis, and if possible the non-trinity composers as well? An option to connect to a server and download kritis is fine, if adding them offline will make the app bulkier

Regards,
Sridhar

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks Sridhar.

Planned but not enough time off late :-(. Was planning to add SS krithis at the least.

Hmm. I will check what happened to PD krithis. That was not the intent.

One of the troubles in simply taking different sources (besides copyrights etc.) is that I need them in a way that will allow the app to render it in different languages (tamil and sanskrit - and hopefully in telugu on iphone IF Apple has fixed some bugs in their rendering). So I need the text to be in a certain translit scheme (http://arunk.freepgs.com/cmtranslit/cmt ... cheme.html), which was actually "crowd-source" designed in a way on this very forum. This scheme tries to place the phonetic representation foremost (and relies on renderer to take care of script specific idiosyncracies). This is not as big an issue for non-tamil krithis as existing translit schemes are close enough for me to xlate them to this scheme. But Tamil is a huge issue - the script itself as you know ambiguous which is profoundly accentuated when you have sanskrit phrases brought in and so depending on the original source, you may have a decent to a poor representation, and cannot necessarily accepted as-is or blindly xlated (it may look ok in English but will look quite horrible in devanagiri or even Tamil). Thus in general adding lyrics is going to be a much slow(er) process. Song titles have the same issue but then I can spend some time and manually adjust 500 entries or so - but lyrics for 500 songs - that is a much more laborious task :-)

Arun

mohan

Post by mohan »

Wondering what happened to the KrithiBook app for Android devices. Can't seem to find it on the Google Play store anymore. It's still on the Apple iTunes store however.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I have it and it works. Android 9.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes it works for existing users but seems to have disappeared on the Google Play store.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Is the Krithibook app still avialable on iOS app store? I can't seem to find it now.

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Isn't it like a database app for carnatic providing basic info? I thought we rasikas don't need an app to tell us which raga or krithi it is etc. I thought we rasikas who do hair-splitting debates on fine points of ragas, talas, krithi, etc., in this site already have profound knowledge on carnatic music. Here I am, feeling disillusioned, proved wrong.

Shocked to find this basic commonplace thought behind the app appealing to people here. Whatever happened to unique ideas?