Violinist Lalitha on TV

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kittappa

Violinist Lalitha on TV

Post by kittappa »

Violinist Lalita is hostng a programme on Kalaignar TV everyday, explaining and playing songs in a raga. Today it was Hindolam and there she slipped while explaining the raga mudra in nIrajAkShi kAmAkShi. She said that the Goddess is worshipped by the Hindola raga. The actual meaning is as follows and I have taken it from 'Eternal Pilgrim' - Raga Mudras series, written by Ravi & Sridhar (RaviSri) in sangetham.com about ten years ago:
hindOLam – a janya of the 20th mELa, the name means a 'swing'. Adi Shankara in his mantramAtrkA puShpamAlastava, describes the Goddess’s jewels as hindOLadyuti hIra pUritatarE, meaning, wearing jewels studded with diamonds reflecting glittering light that moves from side to side. Dikshitar has used the rAga name in the same context, in his nIrajAkshi kAmAkShi, where he describes the Goddess’s jewels as hindOLadyuti hIra maNi mayAbharaNE.

Artistes like Lalitha cannot afford to be flippant, they need to be thorough in their knowledge. My suggestion to Lalitha is, 'If you know something well, say it publicly, otherwise better not to venture into uncharted territory'.

DRML

Re: Violinist Lalitha on TV

Post by DRML »

Dear Sri Kittappa

Thanks for your posting.

Normally its my practice to refer a lot before I say something to make it doubly sure even if I know something. Even in this case I had referred quite a lot before I uttered something on this. Some of the reference materials I had gone thro said `She is worshipped as Hindola Raga', `Oh Gouri,your glory is sung in Hindola ragam', while T K Govinda Rao books has the meaning as She is gauri shining with hindola raga, while Kritimanimalai has the meaning that `she is studded with diamonds'. Discrepancies are there in many versions too.

I do know my responsibilities and artistes of my stature will definitely see to it that such things do not occur, but even then to err is human and at times its unavoidable.

Secondly, technically too when I say something, then make a retake and ask them to edit and replace, sometimes this is not followed.

I do appreciate you for posting it.

Dr M Lalitha

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

The program..I briefly listened to exposition of pancharatna kriti..is a well organised one..
I agree with her totally..
" gouri hindOLa dyuti heera maNimayAbharaNE
Souri virinchi vinuta Siva Sakti maya navAvaraNe
nAri maNyAdyarchita navanAdhAntah karaNE
soori jana samsEvita sundara guru guha karaNE"
meaning..
Oh Gouri,your glory is sung in Hindola ragam. You are embellished with gem studded ornaments. Maha Vishnu, Brahma and Siva adore your supreme status in the nine zones of Srichakram. The most virtuous women worship you conscienciously. You are served well by multitudes of Devatas. Beautiful Guru Guha always meditates upon you.
One should not rush to record criticism in a forum like this where multitude of rasikas uses it to gain knowledge..

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

Sri Venkatakailasam, I have not rushed to criticise. You may agree with Dr Lalitha, I don't. Govinda Rao or Rangaramanuja Iyengar are not Sanskrit scholars. They have relied on previous books. 'dyuti' means sparkling or glittering and hindOLa means swing. I have taken the opinion of a Sanskrit scholar without totally relying on RaviSri's interpretation before 'rushing' to criticise. Also, Dr Lalitha, your pronunciation was wrong. You said, 'hindOLAdyuti, whereas it is hindOLadyuti.

Again today in your explanation of Nattai, you pronounced the word 'swacha' (in the kriti 'pavanAtmajAgacha) as swAcha, which is wrong. Please be careful.

I have also confirmed the above things with RaviSri who confirmed that he had consulted Sanskrit scholars before venturing into writing the Raga Mudras ten years ago. Two of the scholars were adept in music too. Sri Venkatakailasam, then what is the meaning of Adi Sankara's 'hindOLadyuti hIra pUritatarE'? I am sure the Bhagavatpada did not refer to the hindOLa raga.

One thing Dr Lalitha. I appreciate your readiness to respond to criticism

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

What time is this prog.aired ? seems to be interesting.

venkatakailasam

It is at 8 AM..if I remember correct at kalaignr TV

venkatakailasam

Shri kittappa..

I understand.. you may be correct..and I may be wrong..
But, there are other ways of reaching her...through Admn..or her ID..instead of making a posting in this forum ..

Vijayakumar

Post by Vijayakumar »

The program is telecast every morning 8 30 am to 9 am in Kalaignar TV. (in fact it starts 8 40 around)