Rama Icon and Original Thyagaraja Painting

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
RaviSri

Rama Icon and Original Thyagaraja Painting

Post by RaviSri »

Here are the two pictures, one of the Rama Icon worshipped by Thyagaraja and the painting of Thyagaraja painted by a royal painter. Both these repose, as I have already mentioned, at Varahappier lane, Thanjavur. I have not done anything to improve the quality of the pictures except brighten them a bit. That is best left to experts.

RaviSri

Re: Rama Icon and Original Thyagaraja Painting

Post by RaviSri »

Last edited by RaviSri on 08 Aug 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

I am sorry, I am not able to upload the Rama Icon on this page, so the link is there which works. One can save the picture from the above link.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

RaviSri,
Thanks!

The Rama Icon image mentioned in Post #2:-

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

No gobi chandanam or urdwapundaram is visible on the body of Thyagaraja as is visible in most of the pictures of the bard in circulation today. No thambura.
Much more interesting- No namam on the forehead of Lord Sri Rama worshipped by him, nor in that of Hanuman. No kodandam also but abhaya hastham.

TheListener

Post by TheListener »

RaviSri, is the Rama icon also a painting done by the palace painter?
From what I can recall, the actual idols I remember seeing at Varahappiar lane seem a little disproportionate to their relative sizes in the picture. I don't know if that is my memory playing tricks since it was several years ago. Can you please confirm?

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Ravi Sri Avl,
Thanks. As far as my memory goes I am also of the same opinion as regards to the size .

Thanjavooran 09 08 2012

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Yes, the painting is disproportionate to the size of the icon which is no more than 8 inches in height. Someone had, in the 1940s itself probably, photographed or painted the icon, sitting in front of it. If it were the latter, then the painting was photographed. If the icon were photographed then the photo was enlarged. This picture is in black and white instead of being in colour because of this. So is the Thyagaraja painting which is actually in colour at Thanjavur.

The icon is a single piece bronze.

Seetha is on Rama's lap, the chatra and chamara wielded by Bharata and Shatrugna on both sides of Rama, Hanuman standing in front of Bharata and Lakshmana in front of Shatrugna.

Pratyaksham Bala

Please see http://www.tamilartsacademy.com/journal ... ticle8.htm for
Sri R. Nagaswamy’s article “Fresh light on Tyagaraja's ancestry” which gives some more information ...

Portrait of Tyagaraja
“But far more important is a painting of Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and others done in the tradition of the Thanjavur school in silver sheet with paintings, preserved in the house, portraying Samartha Ramadas on one side and Kabirdas on the other. Below the panel is shown in miniature, Saint Tyagaraja in his traditional costumes. The painting would have been prepared in 1860s by Veeraswami, within 15 or 20 years of the demise of the Saint Tyagaraja (in 1847). This could be one of the authentic portraits of Saint Tyagaraja that has survived to this day.”

Metal Images
“Also under worship in this house is a group of metal images, small in size of Rama, Sita, Hanuman, Bharata and Shatrugna affectionately adored as Rama Pancayatana. These images assignable to the 18th century are said to have been originally worshipped by Kavi Venkatagiri, the brother of Giriraja Kavi.”

Pratyaksham Bala

Sri Ponbhairavi:
Tyagabrahmam was born to Kakarla Ramabrahmam and Sitamma, who belonged to Telugu speaking Mulukanadu Vaidiki Smartha Brahmin family. Tyagabrahmam's maternal grandfather was Giriraja Kavisvara, son of Ahobala Sastri and grandson of Gopala Bhatta.

Govindaswamy

Post by Govindaswamy »

Pratyaksham Bala,
In this article ' Fresh light on Tyagaraja's ancestry by R. Nagaswamy the following in formation is given.

“ The documents are dated in the Saka year 1657, and in the cyclic year Rakshasa, month Pushya, Trayodasi––Makara Sankranti day corresponding to December 30, 1735.”

1. Trayodasi- Was it Suklapaksha or KrshNa paksha?

2. How December 30 was called as Makara Sankranti day.
As per nirAyana pancAngam (Fixed Zodiac) Sun enteres makara rAsi on January 14/15 (தை ஒன்று). This is Makara Sankranti. As per Sayana System December 20/21 is when Sun enters Capricorn (மகர ராசி). This is when Sun is at the maximum southern declination of 23º 30'. This is called Winter Solstice., This is really UttarAyanam, begiining of Spring (இளவேனில்/வசந்தம்) at present. தை ஒன்று was uttarAyanam as per sauramana pancAngam which was introduced about 1750 years ago. ரதசப்தமி (Rathasapthami- மாகசுக்லசப்தமி) was uttarAyaNam during mahAbhAratha war (about 5000 years ago). சித்திரை 1 (April 14//15) was uttarAyanam during Rama's period (about 8000 years ago). Celebrating சித்திரை 1 to ராமநவமி as வசந்த நவராத்திரி is wrong.

Seasons have advanced by about 110 days since the time of rAmayana due to Precession of Equinoxes (சாயனம்).

Govindaswamy

Pratyaksham Bala

Govindaswamy wrote:“ The documents are dated in the Saka year 1657, and in the cyclic year Rakshasa, month Pushya, Trayodasi––Makara Sankranti day corresponding to December 30, 1735.” ... How December 30 was called as Makara Sankranti day ...
December 30, 1735 mentioned in the document must be the date according to the old Julian Calendar, as the Gregorian calendar was introduced in Great Britain and its possessions only in 1752 when 12 days were added to the Julian date. This might explain the Makar Sankranti's corresponding date to December 30, 1735 of Julian Calendar.