Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been sung

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rajeshnat

#1 Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been sung

Post by rajeshnat » 09 Mar 2013, 13:53

4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been sung???-- is there more??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am posting a long post , to chronicle the 4 raga rtp or what is called as chatur raga pallavi. It requires extraordinary skill to accompolish and more importantly a real stamina to sing them. Perhaps the combination of musical intellect and the stamina at its best.

1. The first of the chatur raga pallavi , was sung by our paddhati creator shri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar. Shankarabharanai azhaittOdi vAdi kalyani darbArukku. This was actually composed by Kunrakkudi Krishnayyar, but popularized by ariyakudi

There are different artist who have sung this , starting with ARI, KVN. Few contemporary artists like TMK and SGC have also sung this. I personally heard only once in a live concert when TNS sang during his sangeetha kalanidhi concert sang this pallavi. I reviewed this TNS concert in this jungle. Out of all singers who have sung this , nothing beats shri KVN's rendition , if I am right he was accompanied by MSG and PR.

2. There was one other pallavi in 4 ragas , that arasi said some time back in the forum, where her uncle shri vv sadagopan has sung . I cannot recollect that, may be arasi should share that again with the words and ragas.

Assuming ARI sang in 1940's till early/mid 2000 or so, there was no more new chatur pallavis for a

long time.... Then

3.IIRC, The third person who sang a 4 raga pallavi was Maharajapuram Ramachandran.This he took up after a long gap as to the best of my knowledge no more new 4 raga pallavis were sung other than the ARI one. Ramachandran combined saveri-mohanam- todi- kalyani ragas. This was not reviewed in the forum , but the recording was available in sangeethapriya. The pallavi was saveri balakanai mohana kumaranai azhaitodi vadi kalyani. It is clear that Ramachandran replaced the popular pallavi and just made few adjustments. But definitely remarkable effort by ramachandran considering noone came up anything in the last 50 years. I downloaded sometime in 2008 when ramachandran sang this pallavi, it is just wonderful.

4.The fourth person to sing chatur raga pallavi was Smt manda sudharani. She sang in academy in 2009. It was reviewed in our forum. The pallavi was in ragas Shankarabharanam, Kalyani, Valaji, Kaanada, with the first two in purvangam and the next two in uttarangam. I have not heard this pallavi of sudharani.

Then in 2011 or 2012 we had two more artists coming up with two new chatur pallavis

5. The young brilliant abhishek came up with a pallavi in 4 rAgAs-simhEndramadhyam, rasikapriya, tODi and hamsavinOdini. The pallavi line was nigama sudhA vinOdini nIrajadaLa lOcani sadA. This concert was reviewed by mahavishnu and also IIRC sujiram in our forum. It is lovely pallavi , very intense and abhishek has rocked.

6. Then the creative Suryaprakash also sang a very manodharmic pallavi in 4 hamsa ragas (hamsanandi,hamsadhwani, hamsanada, hamsavinodhini).The pallavi in misrachapu talam had these lines
Anandi ni sadhA pAhi
dhwani swaroopini
sunAda niranjani
sAma gAna viNodini
shree hamsa
I and Mohan from Australia have reviewed this concert in two seperate concerts.

In short ARI,Maharajapuram ramachandran,Manda sudharani , Abhishek Raghuram and Suryaprakash have created 5 superb chatur pallavis and sang for the first time.

By the way when I say 4 raga pallavis they are 4 ragas , 4 tanams, 4 neravals and 4 swaras.Nothing like 2 ragas in taanam and another two in swaras .Everything has to be four in all 4 contexts (alaapana, taanam, neraval, and swaras) I would like to know the following:

1.If there are any more 4 raga pallavis other than the 5 that I mentioned (Arasi will hopefully recollect shri VV Sadagopan's one).

2. On a side note,One of the most nicest things that is happening in the last 10 years is , the pallavi is having real renaissance . Musicians are just digging and presenting it. IT JUST REQUIRES extraordinary confidence to present pallavis in four ragas- musical skill and real sustenance and lung power.That too with the lines embedding ragas and the transitioning from one raga to another is just mind-boggling. A real case study of what CM's best is ???

Edited on March 10,2013:
-----------------------------
Apart from the 5, two more artists have done , S Kalayanraman and Ranjani Gayatri

6. SKR has sung a 4-Ranjani Pallavi - Ranjani Ni Ranjani Bhakta Manoranjani - Rasika Janaranjani Nalarulvay Sriranjani.

7. RG Sisters presented a Chatur raga RTP last year in RLKM Bangalore.
The ragas are kalyani,valaji,dhanyasi and revathi.
pallavi line is "nityakaLyANi sharvANI kAtyAyinI, pAlayamAm chaturvEda swarUpiNI"

8. There is a commercial recording of a navaragamalika ragakshara pallavi by Sri Ravikiran (it is a vocal rendition). The pallavi goes as Bhairavi Janaranjani Raskipapriya Varamuliyave - Sri Saraswathi Manohari. The 9 ragas are not immediately apparent in this case - they are Bhairavi, Janranjani, Ranjani, Rasikapriya, Varamu, Sriragam, Saraswathi, Manohari & SaraswathiManohari. The alapana in the first 5 ragas and tanam in the last 4, finishing off with Bhairavi tanam. The neraval is done first as a ragamalika (within each cycle of the pallavi), and then the neraval is done singing the complete pallavi in one raga at a time. Swaraprasthara is in each of the 9 ragas.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 11 Mar 2013, 11:45, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

eesha

#2 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by eesha » 09 Mar 2013, 15:02

A famous chatur raaga RTP with "ranjani theme" by S.Kalyanaraman during the "long period gap" mentioned between 2) and 3)

Ranjani, Manoranjani, Sriranjani, Janaranjani

[update]Recording available in sangeethapriya.org
Download from http://www.sangeethapriya.org/down.php Album ID: 00-C0199[/update]
Last edited by eesha on 09 Mar 2013, 15:21, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

eesha

#3 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by eesha » 09 Mar 2013, 15:11

rajeshnat wrote:4.The fourth person to sing chatur raga pallavi was Smt manda sudharani. She sang in academy in 2009. It was reviewed in our forum. The pallavi was in ragas Shankarabharanam, Kalyani, Valaji, Kaanada, with the first two in purvangam and the next two in uttarangam. I have not heard this pallavi of sudharani.
You can listen to some clips from this RTP here:
http://www.nonoscience.info/2009-madras ... arani.html

[update]And here:
https://soundcloud.com/ravali-m-p-s/7-r ... agam-tanam[/update]
Last edited by eesha on 09 Mar 2013, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

KSJaishankar

#4 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by KSJaishankar » 09 Mar 2013, 15:13

Sri SKR has sung a 4-Ranjani Pallavi - Ranjani Ni Ranjani Bhakta Manoranjani - Rasika Janaranjani Nalarulvay Sriranjani. Gayathri Gireesh has mentioned this pallavi in the DVD on SKR and said that she has also been inspired to sing this in her concerts.

Sri PSN has mentioned a concert of Sri SKR at Sastri Hall which was in Kalyani, Keeravani, Surutti & SindhuBhairavi - but it was not a ragakshara pallavi, but some regular pallavi like Un Darisanam Kidaikkumo Nataraja Dayanidhe.

There is a commercial recording of a navaragamalika ragakshara pallavi by Sri Ravikiran (it is a vocal rendition). The pallavi goes as Bhairavi Janaranjani Raskipapriya Varamuliyave - Sri Saraswathi Manohari. The 9 ragas are not immediately apparent in this case - they are Bhairavi, Janranjani, Ranjani, Rasikapriya, Varamu, Sriragam, Saraswathi, Manohari & SaraswathiManohari.
0 x

csuresh

#5 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by csuresh » 09 Mar 2013, 20:23

Rajeshnat,KSJ,
RG Sisters presented a Chatur raga RTP last year in RLKM Bangalore.
pallavi line is "nityakaLyANi sharvANI kAtyAyinI, pAlayamAm chaturvEda swarUpiNI"
See the link for review in Rasikas.
http://www.rasikas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18676
0 x

rajeshnat

#6 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 10 Mar 2013, 06:53

eesha wrote:A famous chatur raaga RTP with "ranjani theme" by S.Kalyanaraman during the "long period gap" mentioned between 2) and 3)

Ranjani, Manoranjani, Sriranjani, Janaranjani

[update]Recording available in sangeethapriya.org
Download from http://www.sangeethapriya.org/down.php Album ID: 00-C0199[/update]
O i forgot this totally shri SKR has sung in all 4 raga alapanas, he has sung swaras and pallavi neraval in 4 ragas. Did he also sing 4 tanams,
0 x

rajeshnat

#7 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 10 Mar 2013, 07:06

csuresh wrote:Rajeshnat,KSJ,
RG Sisters presented a Chatur raga RTP last year in RLKM Bangalore.
See the link for review in Rasikas.
http://www.rasikas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18676
Oops I forgot about this ,Thanks
0 x

rajeshnat

#8 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 10 Mar 2013, 07:12

KSJaishankar wrote: Sri PSN has mentioned a concert of Sri SKR at Sastri Hall which was in Kalyani, Keeravani, Surutti & SindhuBhairavi - but it was not a ragakshara pallavi, but some regular pallavi like Un Darisanam Kidaikkumo Nataraja Dayanidhe.

There is a commercial recording of a navaragamalika ragakshara pallavi by Sri Ravikiran (it is a vocal rendition). The pallavi goes as Bhairavi Janaranjani Raskipapriya Varamuliyave - Sri Saraswathi Manohari. The 9 ragas are not immediately apparent in this case - they are Bhairavi, Janranjani, Ranjani, Rasikapriya, Varamu, Sriragam, Saraswathi, Manohari & SaraswathiManohari.
KSJaishankar wrote: There is a commercial recording of a navaragamalika ragakshara pallavi by Sri Ravikiran (it is a vocal rendition). The pallavi goes as Bhairavi Janaranjani Raskipapriya Varamuliyave - Sri Saraswathi Manohari. The 9 ragas are not immediately apparent in this case - they are Bhairavi, Janranjani, Ranjani, Rasikapriya, Varamu, Sriragam, Saraswathi, Manohari & SaraswathiManohari.
I think you are taking a navaragamaliga , I am assuming there was only neraval and swaras in 9 ragas . I am not sure if ravikiran performed alapana in 9 ragas and 9 taanams.

With respect to PSN talking about 4 raga in kalyani, keeravani, shurutti and sindhubhairavi, I have also heard it from PSN. But I amnot sure if he sang 4 taanams . I am talking precisely about 4 Ragas AND 4 Taanams AND 4 Neravals AND 4 swaras.

By the way , Just recollecting a post in the last season , there was a mention about mandolin srinivas attempting 5 ragas , not sure if he did all 4 areas.I will Keep mandolin srinivas and SKR in 4 in hold till some one clarifies.

I missed RG sisters and the other SKR ranjani 4 ragas. I will edit the post to include two more. So totally 7.
0 x

VRV

#9 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by VRV » 10 Mar 2013, 08:13

rajeshnat wrote: Shankarabharanai azhaittu vAdi todi darbArukku.

Rajesh,

The pallavi line is Shankarabharanai azhai todi vAdi kalyani darbArukku

Then you have the four ragas.........

VRV
0 x

rajeshnat

#10 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 10 Mar 2013, 08:54

VRV
Thanks , I do know the line , did not type it right.Corrected.
0 x

KSJaishankar

#11 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by KSJaishankar » 11 Mar 2013, 07:34

Ravi Kiran has sung alapana in the first 5 ragas and tanam in the last 4, finishing off with Bhairavi tanam. The neraval is done first as a ragamalika (within each cycle of the pallavi), and then the neraval is done singing the complete pallavi in one raga at a time. Swaraprasthara is in each of the 9 ragas.

On the SKR pallavi mentioned by Sri PSN, he categorically states 4 alapanas, 4 tanams, neraval as ragamalika and swarams in all 4 ragas too. Even the 4-Ranjani pallavi has alapana, tanam and swaras in all the 4 ragas.
0 x

rajeshnat

#12 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 11 Mar 2013, 11:46

Is the pallavi of SKR in 4 ragas Kalyani, Keeravani, Surutti & SindhuBhairavi, available? If yes please post the link.

KSJ
Thanks for your info , I have added ravikiran pallavi in the first post. So there are totally 8 artists.
0 x

arasi

#13 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by arasi » 13 Mar 2013, 07:00

Rajesh,
I'm yet to find time to spend at Rasikas.org at the moment.
I do have a quick look every day of course!

The answer to your question:
Yes, VVS did sing this pallavi which he composed it in tamizh. He sang it a few times in his concerts in the late forties.

mOhana vELai idE
vasantha kAlamidE
malayamArutham vISum
Anandabhairavi aruLum
mOhana vELai idE!

How I wish a modern day singer takes up this tamizh one to sing!
0 x

rajeshnat

#14 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 13 Mar 2013, 10:59

arasi wrote: Yes, VVS did sing this pallavi which he composed it in tamizh. He sang it a few times in his concerts in the late forties.

mOhana vELai idE
vasantha kAlamidE
malayamArutham vISum
Anandabhairavi aruLum
mOhana vELai idE!

How I wish a modern day singer takes up this tamizh one to sing!
Arasi
Have u heard this pallavi in person , with his strong voice V V S must have performed it brilliantly. I am assuming for sure we may not have the recording. Let some modern day singer take this.
0 x

PUNARVASU

#15 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by PUNARVASU » 13 Mar 2013, 13:44

KSJaishankar wrote: There is a commercial recording of a navaragamalika ragakshara pallavi by Sri Ravikiran (it is a vocal rendition). The pallavi goes as Bhairavi Janaranjani Raskipapriya Varamuliyave - Sri Saraswathi Manohari. The 9 ragas are not immediately apparent in this case - they are Bhairavi, Janranjani, Ranjani, Rasikapriya, Varamu, Sriragam, Saraswathi, Manohari & SaraswathiManohari.
I think you are taking a navaragamaliga , I am assuming there was only neraval and swaras in 9 ragas . I am not sure if ravikiran performed alapana in 9 ragas and 9 taanams.

I can spot one more ragam in this. Varamu.. Then it becomes a dasha rAga pallavi. May be then we have to take only janaranjani and not Ranjani also. .
0 x

arasi

#16 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by arasi » 13 Mar 2013, 17:29

Rajesh,
I have heard it more than once. Loved it as a child, and still do.
If at all, Nellai Sangeetha Sabha concerts are one source to explore.Perhaps Lakshminarayanan Sriram can help (Look under Captivating Music thread in General Discussions and see what gems he has posted).

Yes, VVS did sing it engagingly. We are prejudiced, of course (ask Maduraimini too!). mOhana vELai idE was perhaps what made us children change our minds about pallavis--that they were boring ;)
0 x

rajeshnat

#17 Re: 4 raga chatur raga RTP - a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 14 Mar 2013, 07:29

PUNARVASU wrote:

I can spot one more ragam in this. Varamu.. Then it becomes a dasha rAga pallavi. May be then we have to take only janaranjani and not Ranjani also. .
Punarvasu

As per Ksjaishankar in post #11
Ravi Kiran has sung alapana in the first 5 ragas and tanam in the last 4, finishing off with Bhairavi tanam. The neraval is done first as a ragamalika (within each cycle of the pallavi), and then the neraval is done singing the complete pallavi in one raga at a time. Swaraprasthara is in each of the 9 ragas.
0 x

venkatakailasam

#18 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by venkatakailasam » 14 Mar 2013, 19:25

Ragam thanam pallavi Bairavi Malika..Bairavi, Nattabairavi,Maha Bairavi.....

mlv 015-rtp-natabhairavi.mp3

rtp 026-tmk 002 - chadur raga-ragamalika -

rtp 026-tmk 002 - chadur raga-ragamalika.mp3
0 x

rajeshnat

#19 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 19 Aug 2013, 15:31

Two more in the list where 4 ragams , 4 neraval , 4 taanam and 4 ragamaliga swaras were sung in the last month of July 2013. After the first post of 9 4 raga RTPS, the below two are 10th and 11th.

10. saketaraman sang a RTP comprising four ragas belonging to the Ranjani family- Ranjani, Sreeranjani, Janaranjani and Karnaranjani. The pallavi was Ranjani Manjubhaashini paavani Sreeranjani Janani Janaranjani Pahimam Karnaranjani. The pallavi was set to Sankeernajathi Triputa thalam -2 kalai.

11. TNS Krishna presented a four raga rtp in shankarabharanam,todi,durbar and kalyani. THe pallavi was taken up in Khanda Triputa talam 4 kalai- Atheetha eduppu. But the pallavi was intelligently modified as Sankarabharananai Azhaithodi vaadi Kalyani PALLAVI Darbarukku. Krishna deserves kudos for including the theme of the concert in the pallavi. He did elaborate neraval and anulomam trilomam. After trikalam, I think he presented the pallavi with variation of speed in poorvangam and utharangam.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 20 Aug 2013, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

CRama

#20 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by CRama » 19 Aug 2013, 16:12

Rajesh. I appreciate your quick update of this thread. I am induced to listen to the other ragamalika pallavis mentioned in this thread which I have not heard so far. Can you upload that Mah Ramachandran pallavi, if you have got it?
0 x

venkatakailasam

#21 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by venkatakailasam » 19 Aug 2013, 19:07

17 RTP-Ragamalikas are there in this link..

http://e-swari.blogspot.in/2013/08/raga ... llavi.html
0 x

rajeshnat

#22 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 20 Aug 2013, 23:04

CRama wrote: Can you upload that Mah Ramachandran pallavi, if you have got it?
In the above link that shri venkatakailasam has posted , the fourth link is the 4 raga rtp of maharajapuram shri ramachandran in sAveri-mohanam-todi-kalyani
0 x

rajeshnat

#23 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 20 Aug 2013, 23:07

so far we have 11 rtp of 4 ragas (there should be 4 ragas - 4 taanam- 4 neraval and 4 swaras- not merely a ragamaliga in one or two places). So far we have got 11, including the one of shri vv sadagopan (I am assuming shri sadagopan did all four, hope we get that recording ) . Refer post #1 and post #19 for all 11 RTP -quad core rtp. Let us hope we will have the 12th one soon

- update as of Aug 20,2013
0 x

mohan

#24 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by mohan » 21 Aug 2013, 06:30

Sudha Ragunathan sang a 5 raga RTP in Melbourne in 2012. It was set to Sankirna Jati Triputa tala. She sang ragam and tanam in the 5 ragas. The lyrics are:

raghunAyakA (Hamsadhwani) raghunandanA (Sahana) raghuvara (Pantuvarali) ramAbhirAma (Darbar) nI samAna evaru rAmA (Kharaharapriya) raghunAyakA
0 x

rajeshnat

#25 Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been s

Post by rajeshnat » 21 Aug 2013, 06:37

mohan wrote:Sudha Ragunathan sang a 5 raga RTP in Melbourne in 2012. It was set to Sankirna Jati Triputa tala. She sang ragam and tanam in the 5 ragas. The lyrics are:

raghunAyakA (Hamsadhwani) raghunandanA (Sahana) raghuvara (Pantuvarali) ramAbhirAma (Darbar) nI samAna evaru rAmA (Kharaharapriya) raghunAyakA
what about pallavi neraval and swaras .
0 x