Introducing "Swarasthana" - An app for iPad and iPhone

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arunk

Re: Introducing "Swarasthana" - An app for iPad and iPhone

Post by arunk »

Hello friends,

A new version of Swarasthana (2.0) is now available on the Apple App Store ($2.99).

- Added Violin Instrument
- Support for more than 25 pentatonic (auḍava) and 8 hexatonic (śāḍava) ragas in all the lessons. You can now practice lessons in these ragas beside the 72 melakarta ragas.
- (For a bit of fun) Added a Scale Identification Game. Swarasthana plays a melody in the scale of a raga (i.e. flat notes only), and you have to guess it.
- Added a "saraḷi varisais - all" lesson which runs through the saraḷi varisais in succession.
- Added more mēl sthāyi varisai lessons, and also a miscellaneous Scale Exercises category.
- Bug fixes: Fixed crash when changing tempo; Lesson settings (speed) is now remembered.

For information on Swarasthana: http://arunk.freepgs.com/swarasthana/
App Store Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swarast ... ?mt=8&ls=1

Thanks
Arun

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Arun

Excuse me for being silly and tech ignorant. Is it because you find it more easier to programme for as apple app than android. Unfortunately my iphone gave up the ghost and I am now switched over to android. :(

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes Arun I urge you to make the app for Android without delay. Android phones will be 10x iPhone pop.

arunk

Post by arunk »

ganesh_mourthy: Some things are easier and smoother although perhaps this has changed. But it is twice the work - and with this app there is just way too much work. There is little chance of me doing it on Android - Sorry.

rsachi - my incentive for Android for this app is not high because of above and considering I know people can exchange apps between devices without paying (not that big deal -but the thought grates a bit :-) ). My other app is available on Android and it is safe to say that there is no pop - iphone sales outnumber Android. There are other reasons for this - I believe for a pop there is only one price: $0 (this is true for iPhone also). Believe me, I also know from firsthand the difference between $0 and $1. Besides have you seen yesterday's Apple's results on iphone sales ;-) ?

Thanks
Arun

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sure I did. I was one of the earliest people to buy an iPhone on the planet in 2007, and paid a premium too for a jailbroken set in Sydney :)

I currently use a Mac Pro, an iPad and an Xperia Z2 Sony. Sony has much better specs than iPhone 6S. I will perhaps switch back in 2016 when iPhone catches up on camera, display, sound, personalisation and such.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Arun, awesome update to your Swarasthana app. I tried the new things today. Violin sound is very good. The scale identification game is a lot of fun. I am not very good at it yet. It is quite addictive. And the technical wizardry feature of the app, Swara Suddham, still rocks as before. It works so well and so useful.

There is another thread where g_m, others and I were talking about techniques for identifying swaras. My own goal is to play film songs on the flute as perfectly as possible. Arun, may be one thing you can do with your own experience complemented by other's feedback is to come up with a lesson plan with the various features in your app which when followed over a period of time can contribute to developing that skill. It does not necessarily have to involve breaking the melody down to the individual swaras and building it back ( in case there is another method to play the melody without getting to that level). Your app provides so many features which I am sure can be used in such a fun lesson plan. Not from a student of music perspective but more as a fun pastime activity. Just throwing it out there and see if it is possible.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Thanks vk.

It is possible - need to see what can be done. As I have mentioned before when you get beyond flat notes, things get more interesting as you do have various interpretations.

I have mentioned before, the first "sense of progress" in swara identification was when I could correctly identify which karvai the musican is holding - be it in alapana or in song. That was the first step. Then I could identify ending note of phrases. But I think learning CM (and thus knowing which swaras make up key phrases) was a bigger help going forward. This can be supplemented somewhat by listening to slow-speed kalpanaswaras (e.g. MDR) and then correlate with key phrases of raga, and you know "ah - that is the swara combination that makes up that phrase, which I can relate to that raga".

Arun

jayakrishnam

Post by jayakrishnam »

Hi Arun
I purchased your app and have been using it. But it stopped working suddenly and saying ' app is not available'. I sent you a message as well

I would appreciate your feedback
Thank you very much
Sincerely
Jayakrishna

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

arunk wrote: 12 Feb 2015, 22:02 Thanks vk.

It is possible - need to see what can be done. As I have mentioned before when you get beyond flat notes, things get more interesting as you do have various interpretations.

Arun
You should check out the Gamaka app with advanced features for pc and android and free too.

jayakrishnam

Post by jayakrishnam »

Hi Arun
Would appreciate if you can help me out. I purchased your Swarashtana app and found it very helpful. But it stopped working suddenly - Says ' this App is not available in stores any more'
Thank you
Jayakrishna

jayakrishnam

Post by jayakrishnam »

I would appreciate it any one can give information about this App. I bought this app and have been using it for a while. But suddenly, it stopped working saying it’s ‘ not available in your region’- I e mailed Arun who developed this app, but no response from him so far

TheListener

Post by TheListener »

The app is no longer found on the App Store. I can't download it new devices. Any word on whether it is likely to be available again would be great. This is a very useful app.

jayakrishnam

Post by jayakrishnam »

Same issue here. I messaged Mr. Arun several times.But no response from him so far
Jayakrishna

jayakrishnam

Post by jayakrishnam »

Hi Arun
Please give upsate about your App
Jayakrishna

Sath

Post by Sath »

arunk might not be reading these. Profile shows: Last active:17 Jun 2017.

He hasn't been active on one of his blogs for a few years either from what I can tell: https://sunson.wordpress.com/about/