An award in the name of Fernandes

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
parivadini

An award in the name of Fernandes

Post by parivadini »

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 468168.ece

The award will be given to Mr. Selvam on 25th Dec at a function held at the T.Nagar Social Club. More details will follow.

rshankar

Re: An award in the name of Fernandes

Post by rshankar »

Parivadini - a wonderful gesture!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very nice gesture indeed. :ymapplause:
I just now read the article 'vErukku virudu' in the latest Kalki magazine. Got to know more about 'parivAdini also'. Thank you 'parivAdini' for the service you are rendering for the cause of music.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

I am so happy to hear this. I will certainly attend the function.

Kudos to Parivadini for recognizing such a vital element in the business of music making - the craftsman who makes the instruments.

In the west, legendary craftsmen like Stradivari are revered. In our culture we have consigned them to anonymity.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks, Parivadini. Great gesture.
Unfortunately, I cannot attend due to other commitments.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I will also not be free that day, otherwise I would certainly have attended.

It's good that people are reminded that these instruments are not mass-produced in some faceless factory (not yet imported from China!) but are made by individual craftsmen with individual natures and qualities.

Well done Parivadini!

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

A noble proposal indeed.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

The inaugural Fernandes award function will be held today at 9.30 A.M at the T.Nagar Social Club, Venkat Narayana Road, opp to Panagal Park.

The guests of Honor are

Sangita Kalanidhi T.K.Murthi
Sangita Kalanidhi Trichy Sankaran
Dr. B.M.Sundaram
Vid. Palghat Rajaram

The event can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcjGL83J8Q

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Parivadini has arrived at the busy season not 'with a bang' but with a magnificent CHAAPU on the valantalai of the Mridanga!
The master craftsman Sri. Selvam-son of Parlandu(Fernandez)-received the award from Sri T K Murthi at a solemn event on the Christmas day.

I was delighted to see a few more expert 'mridanga craftsmen' who had assembled at the venue to witness the grand old Selvam being recognised by a Vidwan - a contemporary of Palghat Mani iyer for whom Parlandu was the 'Aastaana builder' of the percussion instrument for decades.

Episodes galore, the function also gave an insight into the artist-maker-music bond which is as strong as the instrument but invisible as its naada! A picture of humility, Selvam chose not to address the dedicated gathering but just thanked everyone in a single sentence!

The Hindu (Chennai ed 26.12.2013 page 2) carries an excellent report of the function.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks Parivadini team - for taking the lead in recognizing the contributions of Fernandes to Carnatic Music.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

A snippet from an upcoming documentary on legendary instrument maker Parlandu. Sangita Kalanidhi Palghat Mani Iyer's definition of heaven as shared by his dear son Shri. Palghat Rajaram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWD1s0FDxSc

We will announce the Fernandes Award of Excellence 2014 in a few days.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

On teh first Fernandes Award Winner - Selvam - https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... m-inmathi/ (For English: https://inmathi.com/2018/09/29/13466/)

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

We are pleased to inform that we are giving the yearly Parlandu award this year to Mr. Muruganandam. He had worked with legends such as Khanjira maestro Harishankar. We felt it would be appropriate to honor him this year as it would be the 60th year since Harishankar's birth.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

We are pleased to inform that we are giving the yearly Parlandu award this year to Mr. R.Selvaraj from Narasingampet. He is the son of the legendary Ranganatha Acari - who designed the 2/2.5 Kattai nagaswaram that is in vogue today. Legend says that it was in his instrument that playing the Shudhdha Madhyamam consistently without struggle became possible.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Towards the end of his life Nagaswara Chakravarthi T.N.Rajaratnam Pillai had written a letter of recognition to Ranganatha Achari - who designed the nagaswaram that is in vogue today.

This letter is preserved by Ranganatha Achari's son Selvaraj - who is also a Nagaswara maker of repute in Narasingampettai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswzpaS ... e=youtu.be

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 22:17 Towards the end of his life Nagaswara Chakravarthi T.N.Rajaratnam Pillai had written a letter of recognition to Ranganatha Achari - who designed the nagaswaram that is in vogue today.

This letter is preserved by Ranganatha Achari's son Selvaraj - who is also a Nagaswara maker of repute in Narasingampettai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aswzpaS ... e=youtu.be
Very Very lovely prize. I did not knew even one Nagaswaram designers . Can I assume TNR played his nagaswaram designed by Ranganatha Chari for considerable years. Great job Lalitharam. Can we get a contrast of nagaswaram one with Ranganatha chari and one not done by Ranganatha chari. where you can publish 2 links. I am wondering how suddamadhyamam was before Ranganatha chari creation

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Rajesh - most of TNR recordings through 78 rpms are before Ranganatha Achari's times. He has played several Shudhdha Madhyama Ragas including thodi in the timiri nayanam. It is just that he has acknowledged that it became so much easier after Ranganatha Achari's invention is what the nagaswaram artists say.