acoustics

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

The music halls should be acoustically perfect,but unfortunately this is often a neglected part.One practical difficulty, we cant construct a hall exclusively for carnatic music,there may be other art forms like dance shows or dramas,for which the acoustics and construction varies.
This is where a sound engineer and an architect can contribute.Acoustics is a special branch of architecture.
Olden times,they sang without the help of mike system.even in places like Krishna Gana Sabha,and even after they started using mikes,Palakkad Mani Iyer never used one.(present mridangists want two mikes,one each for two sides)
Mike less concerts has its demerits,it cant be applicable for a larger audience,but carnatic music has only selected audience.It cant be applicable for certain vocalists whose voice is not powerful enough.Then the question of balancing between a delicate instrument like violin and a rhythmic instrument like mridangam.But if the construction of the chamber is properly done,it will be well balanced,like an amphi theatre
Lalgudi Jayaraman once commented that tone of the violin changes due to over amplification?he said ?enga ponaalum ore sathamayirukku!?
Chamber music has its merits:there is more interaction between the artist and the listeners(Hindustani artists expects feed back from listeners) people listen more carefully.If it is like the old way,the better,sitting on the floor(so that no screeching voice of chairs)the better.There are artists who do not like the strong spot lights on them,leaving the audience in dark(like in music academy)it suites for light music or such stage stage shows
I have attended a memorable chamber concert(though accidental)I have mentioned about it thousand times,I don?t mind repeating it another thousand times,it was such an experience.
It was an RTP concert by LalgudiGJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi at Shatry hall year,year?1990 I think?it was a very hot evening.After the initial few krotis,Krishnan started the main piece,Kalyani,the moment he started the vistara,power failed,he never stopped,asked the listeners wheather it is audible,fortunately they said yes.and indeed it was audible,but we are all conditioned the other way,mike,speakers?our sound culture like that.It was so nice to hear the actual tone of that violin and they simply explored the raga(I later told him,even his guru wouldn?t have explored kalyani like that!)
I share one more experience I had couple of years ago,at aremote village in Madhay Pradesh,where I happened to go for official work.There was a music dance festival,mostly Hindustani;vocal,flute and santoor.But they came to the hall well before the start,took time to tune thambura,and mikeless?!!it was the lec dem,the actual concert was at open air(in fact,at a temple,which was at a small island and audience in boats!)and the flutist played pahaadi!!
One understands the chamber music circles are getting popular in Chennai.Technology can help by recording and preserving such concerts which can be useful for the coming generation.
If at all there is mike system,it has to be properly balanced.Most important thing,there has to be a feed back speaker for artist,otherwise they don?t hear what they sing.Narada gana sabha has a good system,then BVB,Mylapore.But it is most enjoyable to attend concerts at TTD T.Nagar(hope they haven?t ?modernised? it by putting chairs and adding more speakers!) small hall,mike system is not over amplified.And enjoying the concert sitting on the floor?