Best Vocal - Violin - Mridangam Combination

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

Best Vocal - Violin - Mridangam Combination

Post by hnbhagavan »

As our friend Sri sachi started the best Instrumental concert,I suggest a new thread for the best Vocal - Violin - Mridangam combination.The number of great combinations available will be numerous.I still ventured to suggest this topic as the Instrumental topic gave very good listening pleasure.
Similarly i hope this will also give ample listening pleasure.

Here is one such combination : MDR-MSG-Dorai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNXT20prZE

Rsachi

Re: Best Vocal - Violin - Mridangam Combination

Post by Rsachi »

Good topic! Am sure many examples and even "best practices" will come up, HNB!

I recently complimented a rising star vocalist on choice of acxompaniment. The response waa surprising for such a young person : the success of the concert sepends alao on the mature understanding and team- work of the accompanists ans that's why I always try to have the same accompanists.

This logic is so obvious. But often I see logistic and moneyspeak and egoistic aspects overcome the logic :)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

So many classic combinations (ARI-TNK-PMI; GNB-LGJ-PR; Alathur-LGJ-PMI; MMI-TNK-VR; TSK-MSG...) and contemporary classics as well (TMK-RKSK-KAP; Sanjay-Varadu-Neyveli Venkatesh). My all time favourite would have to be MMI-TNK-VR, who have together taken music to heights I have never experienced elsewhere. Of course the quality of accompanists, especially the violinists, was so great that any of TNK, LGJ, MSG, VVS, and others could perform with any of the top vocalists and produce scintillating concerts. The only occasion I've heard of GNB with MSG is the concert with that stupendous nATTaikurinji RTP, for instance. To me, the interesting case studies are vocalists who don't always gel with all high caliber accompanists; Santhanam and TNS come to mind readily. Then there are the ones like KVN and, to an extent, MDR who could sing with veritably any accompanists and almost always find success.

varsha

Post by varsha »

nstrumental topic gave very good listening pleasure
Is the fun over and closed ? ;)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

How can hunger, thirst, craving for music, and such core human activities ever end, Varsha?
In Parvathi blog I have narrated the story about Mysore Vasudevacharya's last moments. He tuned his tambura, played it for a while, and passed away listening to grandson Rajaram singing ಇಂಥಾ ಪ್ರಭುವ ಕಾಣೆನೊ...

varsha

Post by varsha »

GNB-TC-CSM-MYSORE 57 is my first choice.For sheer Chemistry .Which is what HNB is suggesting, I think
https://archive.org/details/04BaDalikaT ... Aja_201603
Fit for the Gods.Mind Boggling
Could it be a Parvathi concert ? Let me know. If not , I can upload full, here.
Rsachi - Here is a two dimensional violin trying higher:)

espras

Post by espras »

One of the finest ever combination to me is the following:

Semmangudi, Lalgudi, Sankaran and Harishankar.

(As artists who played Khanjari / Ghatam / Morsing also embellished the concert value, it would be nice to add their names also where applicable).

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/06NIduCaraN ... Aja_201603

Alathur Brothers - TC-PMI
Forty years of listening to this classic.!!!!!
Fresh,As though it happened yesterday.
A Simhendra madhyama without parallel . TC strains every sinew of the violin.
PMI , what can one say

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

DKJ- T. Rukmini- UKS
DKJ- VVS- UKS (Some fascinating concerts)
SSI-LGJ- Trichy Sankaran (Airport concert, MA 1967, RR Sabha concert.......)
MDR-TNK-UKS (A combo from the heavens)
KVN- Chandru- Raghu (Unparalleled aesthetics).....
Nedunuri- LGJ- UKS (The "bhavanutha" alone should do...)

prashant

Post by prashant »

DKJ / LGJ / KRM / GH - stupendous.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

This one always puts me to trance if I gave enough months or a year in between to listen to it. What a fluid and mAtra Suddha rendition with TC bowing in the back ground

MMI, TC, PSP, with Ghatam Kothandaramaiyer.

http://maduraimani.tripod.com/sitebuild ... ngaraka.rm

details: http://maduraimani.tripod.com/id14.html

Dikshitar at once has sAhitya bhAvam - as MMI softens the bhrAtru kArakam with brotherly affection descending down the scale. Those with elder brothers must have Mars strong somewhere huh?

The toppi of Pazhani and his complete pause at raktAngam - takes it somewhere. toppiyilla sangItam = uppilla pandam and has to be very measured in balance. As PMI put it his kalanidhi speech - comparing layam to salt?

varsha

Post by varsha »

varsha

Post by varsha »

Knowing hnb's love for lalgudi, I will try a range of lalgudi combinations.I would play these during my meetings with him.And he would keep pestering
Why do you treat my accompaniments on par with solos?
And I would reply
Solos are like being a master chef in your own kitchen.The accompaniment is like being a master chef in the kitchen of others. You have that much narrower choices.
He used to like that
https://archive.org/details/SomuLGJUKSJamshedpur731

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Voleti - Lalgudi - UKS (Ganamurthe - KGS 1983/84)
Nedunuri - Lalgudi - UKS (bhavanutha, sri ganapathi nee - KGS 1982)
Voleti - GJR - Karaikudi Mani (Chittarangam Oct 1987)
DKJ - MSG - Vellore (Sri valli devasenapathe - main kriti - stupendous)
Semmangudi - Trichy Sankaran - Several
Nedunuri - MC - Palakad Raghu combination
KVN - MC - Palakad Raghu

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

I see that a few of what i had mentioned are repeats from Semmu86 :)

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

From the era gone by,
R.K. Srikantan- Lalgudi- UKS
TRS- Lalgudi- UKS
Ramnad Krishnan- Lalgudi- UKS
Somu- Lalgudi- UKS

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:https://archive.org/details/MSGUKS
ASundaresan=MSG=UKS
Absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much Sir

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

semmu86 wrote:From the era gone by,
TRS- Lalgudi- UKS
semmu86,
Trs mama with Rukmini/VVS and KRM/Kamalakar Rao is what I have heard with the countless recording . May be i have heard this combination of TRS-Lalgudi-UKS without knowing it , can you concisely tell the concert and the songs that you heard here.

varsha
the recordings of trs are always with me- may be i missed this divine trs-lalgudi-uks combo.ur help appreciated

varsha

Post by varsha »

Semmu probably meant TRS-TR-UKS or TRS-LGJ-KM
Unless both of you have hidden some TRS Concerts away from my reach :)

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

TNS with LGJ in the late 1970s and early 1980s; only two or three concerts are available in the public domain.

TNS - Lalgudi Jayaraman - Palghat Raghu - G Harishankar Nagpur concert with Pakkala Nilapadi as the main item;
with the elaborate niraval and swara kalpana by TNS and the reply by Lalgudi.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Some more, from the great concerts in my collection,

BMK- Lalgudi/ Annavaram Ramaswamy- UKS (Esp the "Evari mAta", Mysore, Circa 1980's)
TNS- Lalgudi- UKS (Countless concerts)
T. M. Thyagarajan- Lalgudi- UKS (sheer Brilliance)
G.S. Mani- VVS- UKS (Evergreen classics, infact one of my all time favorite combo)
Vairamangalam- Lalgudi- Trichy Sankaran (A beautiful bhairavi & a great thani)
Kalyanaraman- MSG- Trichy Sankaran (Tygaraja's bicentennial concert @ Mumbai. One of the most brilliant kalyANis one can hear and the thani is of the stuff from the heavens)......
rajeshnat wrote:
semmu86 wrote:From the era gone by,
TRS- Lalgudi- UKS
semmu86,
combination of TRS-Lalgudi-UKS without knowing it , can you concisely tell the concert and the songs that you heard here.
I will revert shortly.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:Semmu probably meant TRS-TR-UKS or TRS-LGJ-KM
Sorry, i will just check the tagging and revert.
varsha wrote:Unless both of you have hidden some TRS Concerts away from my reach :)
No way, atleast not me for sure :lol:

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

semmu86 wrote:Some more, from the great concerts in my collection,

BMK- Lalgudi/ Annavaram Ramaswamy- UKS (Esp the "Evari mAta", Mysore, Circa 1980's)
G.S. Mani- VVS- UKS (Evergreen classics, infact one of my all time favorite combo)
Vairamangalam- Lalgudi- Trichy Sankaran (A beautiful bhairavi & a great thani)
Kalyanaraman- MSG- Trichy Sankaran (Tygaraja's bicentennial concert @ Mumbai. One of the most brilliant kalyANis one can hear and the thani is of the stuff from the heavens)......
Semmu, we have the same taste! I guess we knew that already.
I think it was Annavarappu Ramaswamy in the first one that you mention.

I have been on a major Somu binge lately (thanks to something Varsha started in another thread). Somu-Lalgudi-UKS, Somu-MSG-UKS, Somu-Lalgudi-Raghu; with Somu very sincerely appreciating his accompanists and every little thing they do. They just don't make musicians like that any more!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

mahavishnu wrote:I guess we knew that already.
Long back :)
mahavishnu wrote:I think it was Annavarappu Ramaswamy in the first one that you mention.
Yes it is..
mahavishnu wrote:Somu-Lalgudi-UKS, Somu-MSG-UKS, Somu-Lalgudi-Raghu; with Somu very sincerely appreciating his accompanists and every little thing they do. They just don't make musicians like that any more!
Cant agree more. There was a beautiful "harikhAmbhOji" track of Somu-Lalgudi which Varsha had uploaded sometime back, that re-kindled my love for Somu again. Somu's appreciation and Lalgudi's final reply, Phew!!!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:Semmu probably meant TRS-TR-UKS or TRS-LGJ-KM
Sorry, it was indeed TRS- T. Rukmini- UKS and one concert of TRS- Chandru- UKS, the audio of which is not of the greatest of quality. Have sat through listening to so many concerts with violing accompaniment being T. Rukmini/ VVS baffled, thinking if it could be Lalgudi, as their styles are so intricately Lalgudi'esque, yet distinct. Great music!!!

varsha

Post by varsha »

I have been on a major Somu binge lately (thanks to something Varsha started in another thread).
All these exercises are A rekindling of past memories

" Oh thanks for all these cds tapes "
Thus wept Somus widow hugging me tearfully.
" I had thought the world had forgotten him.Thanks for showing me that it is not true"
We were eight blokes from rasikas in ONE Ambassador car in a series that went
Somu ,
DKP (Still remember that tear in the corner of her eye at the mention of DKJ)
Kalpagam Mami Practising (unsure if LRamki would be in town to accompany, and reassuring herself - ellA Guru Guha pAthippa - I will get it on stage)
Manakkal
GS Mani
Sankara Iyer-What an atmosphere at the home of NSG
SRJ

Some Binge
Some Memories
Across Continents

Narayanan NB

Post by Narayanan NB »

MMI-LGJ-PMI, GNB-LGJ-PMI and SSI-TNK-UKS

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Ref. post 21 by semmu86

Can you upload some of these concerts and give link please.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Semmu probably counts on his fingers ;)

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Have given the tapes for conversion, shall do it, once am in receipt of them. I was handed over atleast 8 TNS-LGJ-UKS concerts, collected from sources, who prefer to remain anonymous :) But then, it is all well know that the combo gave lot of concerts, before the TNS- KRM combo came about.

TMT ones were available in Sangeethapriya................

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Of contemporaries, the Vijay Siva - RKSK - J Vaidyanathan combination also stands out. Vedavalli - RKSK - KAP is another tested one.

KVN's 1993 American tour with Nagai Muralidharan and Vellore Ramabadran is a classic; I've listened to 3-4 of those concerts, and each is worth its weight in gold, especially the Stanford and Cleveland concerts.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

https://archive.org/details/03EvarIkaiA ... vamanOhari

TMT- UKS, circa 1978...Just a sample from a great concert, decent quality. Shall upload the full one shortly.

https://archive.org/details/07ThaniAvar ... gaKhanjira

Thani from the same concert, with a certain 19 year old "Harishankar" on the Kanjira...............

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

K Nagarajan wrote:TNS with LGJ in the late 1970s and early 1980s; only two or three concerts are available in the public domain.

TNS - Lalgudi Jayaraman - Palghat Raghu - G Harishankar Nagpur concert with Pakkala Nilapadi as the main item;
with the elaborate niraval and swara kalpana by TNS and the reply by Lalgudi.
I take it that you are refering to:

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sl/38-TN ... KAR_NAGPUR

When I head Abhishek a year back - I immediately felt I had heard this before ( I am not saying he is as great as TNS or TNS is lot greater than Abhishek) . Abhishek's aparadamulan (latAngi) was paused exactly like how TNS did in that Nagpur concert. I cite that as evidence of some influence. But the similarity is elsewhere - the sheer virtuosity in the rest of the music.

That concert (of TNS) is full of virtuosity and lot of skill display - and it has to be valued only for that! As a sport fan I will also derive enjoyment from it. LGJ was sort of a misfit there and drawn into their display often.

I would put a stake on the ground once again and say based on couple of recordings (Nagpur and at IIT with LS or LV and one more ( a concert with Annapurne) - treading a dangerous path, I suppose) that the two layam Wizards ( Palghat Raghu and TNS) never jelled to produce sublime music. It always felt like a tug of war.

There could be some moments that are exceptions like Ananda naTa maduvar at Kalarasana early 90s. Abhisek as a small boy was putting tALam sitting behind his Grand Pa on stage. Even there TNS was too conscious of the whole setting - and bending his body forward towards Raghu sir often to acknowledge a sync point.

If there are any other recordings to counter my view - I would be happy to hear it !

Raghu Sir's glory is elsewhere - where a post by KS Jaishankar in the thread on best instruments pointed to! With MDR and KVN.

TNS also had his sublime moments with CSM and Vellore and TKM ( especially where BrigAs took a back seat relatively)

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

A few contemporary combos that I have enjoyed over the last 2 decades

SSI- VVS- UKS- V Nagarajan (Two concerts @ Nanganallur Anjaneyar temple, circa 90’s Ramanavami utsavam)
KVN- VV Ravi- UKS- TV Vasan (Mylapore Tyagaraja vidwath samajam in the 90’s, beautiful mOhanam (evarUrA ninnu vinA)
OST- MAS- UKS- EMS/ TV Vasan/ V Suresh
OST- TKV Ramanujacharlu- Trichy Sankaran- V Suresh
Malladi Bros- Varadu- Trichy Sankaran- V Suresh
TVS- Nagai Muralidaran- Bhakthavatsalam- V Suresh (Some unforgettable Ayodhya Mandapam ones).
NSG- VV Ravi- UKS- Harishankar (Some wonderful concerts in the late 90’s, including couple of them @ the MA season i believe).

And a very few, but highly memorable Hyd Bros- Embar Kannan- Karaikudi Mani & OST- MAS- Karaikudi Mani.

KSJaishankar

Post by KSJaishankar »

TVS-MSG-PR-BSuresh (Nungambakkam Fine Arts, 01 Jan 1992) - Krupaya Palaya (Charukesi - SubMain), Akhilandeswari (Dwijawanthi - Main), RTP - Simhendramadhyamam

TVS-MSG (AIR National Program, late 80's) - Kana Kodi Vendum (Kambhoji) - one of the best alapanas of Kamboji, and one of the best neravals @ Manikyam Vairam

TVS-VVS-UKS (AIIMS Delhi - Nov 1990) - Tookiya Tiruvadi (Sankarabharanam) - there is magic in the neraval at "Ettanayo Piravi" & RTP - Ranjani

DKJ-MSG-CSM-UKS (Kanjira) (Russian Cultural Centre Delhi - Nov 1990) - what a Valaji! DKJ appreciating MSG "Omma Raagam, Omma Raagam!"

TVS-Delhi P. Sunderarajan - several concerts in Delhi in the 1990s

SSI-LS-PMI - a few studio recordings just before PMI passed away, so I guess late 70's / early 80s (O Rangasayi, Jnanamosagarada, Karuna Ela Gante, Brochevarevare, Diwakara Tanujam, Bhairavi Swarajati)

MMI-LGJ (not sure of the mridangam artiste, possible PSP) - Bhuvaneswariya (MohanaKalyani) followed by Subramanyena Rakshitoham (SuddhaDhanyasi) - beyond brilliant swara prasthara and response from LGJ

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

MLV - A Kanyakumari (or T Rukmini) - Mannargudi Eswaran (or Tiruvarur Bhaktavatchalam)

DKP - Tiruparkadal Veeraraghavan - Palghat Mani Iyer

varsha

Post by varsha »

Voleti - MSG - ( Not Sure about other accompanists- KM ?)
https://archive.org/details/1.ninnENera ... rAjaVoleti

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

varsha wrote:Voleti - MSG - ( Not Sure about other accompanists- KM ?)
https://archive.org/details/1.ninnENera ... rAjaVoleti
If this concert starts with Panthuvarali (a detailed alapana), it should be the Bombay concert (Shanmuganandha Sabha) with MSG and Madras Kannan on the mridangam.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

KSJaishankar wrote: TVS-MSG (AIR National Program, late 80's) - Kana Kodi Vendum (Kambhoji) - one of the best alapanas of Kamboji, and one of the best neravals @ Manikyam Vairam

Mind blowing Kambhoji and concert.
It was a sangeet Samelan concert - 1986 (?)
TVS's alapana and MSG's acompaniment and nudging TVS is something which is absolutely classic.

There is another concert, again an AIR concert where he sang Chakkani raja - karaharapriya - again with MSG. Top class raga alapana and nereval...

varsha

Post by varsha »

it should be the Bombay concert (Shanmuganandha Sabha) with MSG and Madras Kannan on the mridangam.
Yes . The same one. Thanks

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

K Nagarajan wrote: DKP - Tiruparkadal Veeraraghavan - Palghat Mani Iyer
The Sri nAtAdi - especially the mAya maya viSvAdiSTAnO is very memorable from one such MA concert - as DKP/PMI negotiate a new kAlapramANam reset to account for a correction of possible speed up of the preceding madayama kAla passage in the anupallavi - which creates a feeling of a meditative spell.

Another great one is
DKP - Tiruparkadal Veeraraghavan - KRM - where KRM provides a minimalist tIrmAnam post pallavi of subramhanyAya namastE - that sets a majestic tone jelling with the slow pace of the kriti. His nAdam on the kappi Mridangam ( considered more gauravam) at DKP's lower Sruti on the female spectrum is one to relish.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Forgot DKJ- LGJ/ GJRK- Karaikudi Mani- TV Vasan/ Harishankar

https://archive.org/details/10BhajareReManasakriti

A wonderful concert. DKJ- GJR Krishnan- Karaikudi Mani- The Evergreen TV Vasan. Absolutely super sensitive and brilliant accompaniment. All artists in top form. The KRM- TV Vasan- Harishankar combo is a treasure to be savored for generations.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Unforgettable Upendran,Tantalising TKR, Mesmerising MSG
https://archive.org/details/05KaVaaVaaVarALiPapanasam

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Yes! The TKR-MSG combination is special. Remember that garuDadwani!

KVN-TNK-PR is another of my favourites from years gone by.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Post#43 Semmu86
Very nice record.Excellent singing by Sri DKJ.Good accompaniment by GJR Krishnan.Always wondered why he has stopped accompaniment.
it would do a world of good to Carnatic Music and himself if he resumes accompaniment at least on a selective basis.

shanks

Post by shanks »

hnbhagavan wrote:Post#43 Semmu86
Very nice record.Excellent singing by Sri DKJ.Good accompaniment by GJR Krishnan.Always wondered why he has stopped accompaniment.
it would do a world of good to Carnatic Music and himself if he resumes accompaniment at least on a selective basis.
Per reliable sources, it was at the behest of his father that GJR stopped accompanying - such a loss to the music world; i believe this was in the late 80's or early 90's and if I remember right it was a topic of conversation on RMIC (for those who remember).

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Saw this in Youtube today. What a beautiful concert!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4XAH9 ... tml5=False

Voleti- Lalgudi- Trichy Sankaran. Is a downloadable version of this concert available anywhere?

What a masterclass, esp from LGJ & TS as always! The replies from Lalgudi, such lovely mEETu-chApu shudhdham & thoppi combination in TS' vAdhyam coupled with super sensitive accompaniment. Am tired of saying, but still never mind repeating- Its a lesson on accompaniment :: Nothing flashy or dominating, but following the main artiste like a shadow, yet establishing one's own identity. An art, one has to be born with, can't be taught!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

semmu86 wrote:Saw this in Youtube today. What a beautiful concert!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4XAH9 ... tml5=False

Voleti- Lalgudi- Trichy Sankaran. Is a downloadable version of this concert available anywhere?
You can download YouTube videos or just the audios in multiple ways, I use the 4K products which is available for free from here.

shanks

Post by shanks »

With all these great examples of great combinations, I could not resist posting an example what is NOT a good combination (an example of what a violinist ought not to do). The excellent rendition by Nagamani is totally mauled by the violinist (no idea who it is).
In spite of the violinist, i listen to this track quite often - Nagamani Srinath has given both the raga and the composition a unique interpretation; even the start of the alapana leaves you wondering where she is going..

https://archive.org/details/NagamaniSrinathDharmavathi