Music Speaks for Itself

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kvchellappa

Music Speaks for Itself

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB:
Radha Bhaskar:

Here is a thought about music I felt was worth sharing. Maybe a bit long but I suppose worth reading !

Music Speaks for Itself
Music is something very unique – we cannot claim to embrace it; rather it has to embrace us! Many of us have intentions to expand the vistas of music and try to reach it to the masses. We make loud proclamations that we have been successful in reaching our music to a wider circle. But in reality, the actual output can be explained only by the receiver!
Recently, I happened to see a beautiful music production “Namo Namo Bharathambe” by Kuldeep Pai and the young girl Suryagayathri. This Guru-Shishya combo has been silently creating waves in the music field through their wonderful recordings posted in Youtube. This particular production extols the glory of Mother India. Lovely rich lyrics penned by Sri Nochur Venkatraman, apt music by Kuldeep, the vibrant singing by the duo and the classic visuals tug at your heart strings! Now, I was truly excited on hearing this great piece and immediately wanted to share it with my cousins who live in different parts of the globe. I posted it in our whats app group and requested each one to make it a point to see it. Let me quickly add that most of my cousins hardly have any exposure to music. But the response I received from them really surprised me. Most of them had already heard this song – that too several times! In fact, one of them who did not know anything about music wrote to me that the song was played so many times by his wife to their small kid that he had almost got it by heart! As for me, the tune kept haunting me and I don’t know how many times I would have sung it to myself! Now, this is true music! The music which holds on and clings to the receiver! Here, the music speaks for itself. The musician in this case actually made no artificial effort to push his music to untravelled zones but the music took its own course like the river and flowed through mountains, valleys and grasslands and finally merged into the sea – the sea of happiness and joy it generated among thousands of people all over the globe!
As I always say, no artist is ever greater than the art he pursues but we all think that we are the change makers and that the world of music would come to a standstill - if not for us! But, music is too mighty and it knows how to engulf and embrace people. So, we need not shout aloud that we are refining society with our music! Sometimes it is sad that as artists, we are so obsessed with our own ego and make such loud noise about ourselves that we forget that we are what we are, only because of the music!
Music – you are too large and vast for anyone to comprehend! We are too minuscule in front of you and it would only be naïve of us to say that we are the deciding factors of your course of flow! Every time I approach you and try to come closer, I feel truly humbled and understand that you are like

a mirage – visible yet unattainable all my life!

munirao2001

Re: Music Speaks for Itself

Post by munirao2001 »

Truly, music attracts or distracts related to value perception and state/sense of mind. 'We' as artists, with belief of change makers is unwarranted generalization. Music, embodying spirit, did/do serve public causes. Vaggeyakaras composed music with message, social and spiritual, with humility.
Artist is uncommon and is extraordinary due to the divine qualities of imagination, ideation and creation. Only very few dare to be different, spiritedly with chosen cause (s) with freedom. It is very easy to be sentimental, emotional in communication and getting appreciation!

munirao2001

nianjali

Post by nianjali »

May I know the raga for this beautiful song Namo Namo Bharatambe please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CTMEvnSJPI
And what is the aro / ava? Wonder if some one has the notations? Thank you all!

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

The video menntions as raag JOG - but song does not get the pathos of Jog ragam completely

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

HarishankarK wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 09:14 The video menntions as raag JOG - but song does not get the pathos of Jog ragam completely
Jog and pathos, necessarily? Do you happen to have examples, or a reference?