Music critics: By Sri V Ramnarayan

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

rajeshnat

Re: Music critics: By Sri V Ramnarayan

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice choice of words by sri ramnarayan. Possibly he was explaining some thing internal that happened within shruti magzine with an indirect reference as to why he had to take a stand . Yes ramnarayan is taking adequate caution and presenting in a more polished manner on fine arts . There are also wonderful articles that are also coming up with samudhraa which is mudhra's magazine .kind of a close #2 to shruti magazine.

In general when some one who says in print media the phrase "Our guest contributors by and large adhere to our policy norms in terms of objectivity and fair play", that itself is a fundamentally flawed . I think objectivity can only be tested in an online bulletin board discussion forms like rasikas.org or erstwhile sangeetham.com . The hard copies like THe Hindu, Times Of India do not offer any scope for counter arguments to either accept or deny the first post of objectivity which is actually the only version of their subjectivity. There are online forums like blogs and facebook , it is just way too much clutter to cross and even present objectivity.Facebook is growing with more vidwans and vidushis taking that route as it gives them **walled exclusivity ** of rasikas.

Truly rasikas.org is the most objective forum for CM .There is an inertia for someone to immediately accept/reject the first poster viewpoint. But as a composite whole we are like the winner . All Those that are non bulletin board writeups are all carnatic musician based , but we are carnatic music based . There is a huge difference when it is centered on music instead of musician.

Not to take away the great job that Ramnarayan and Mudhra teams do in presenting information. They are doing a fanta fabulous job.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: In general when some one who says in print media the phrase "Our guest contributors by and large adhere to our policy norms in terms of objectivity and fair play", that itself is a fundamentally flawed .
I think what he is saying is that it is not "paid news" - at least as far as he knows :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramnarayanan says "In the English language press there is precious little coverage by way of reviews, with The Hindu an honourable exception.".

I donot know if you notice in the first or second week of december , when sanjay review came up in The Hindu there were two other reviews of sandeep narayan and Prasanna venkatraman with photos in the same left and right page.This is just an observation

Then a week back when i saw The Hindu online - there was a main badrinath sankaranethralaya writeup ,the next two immediate links which come at the top in The Hindu one was Rithwik Raja in right panel and another GRavikiran or vignesh Ishwar(between the two it was one , now i forget which one)- both TMK Students. Today I just saw now the spaces concert review of TMK it is just up. For all others there is a backlog for publishing , but for TMK nope.He sings in Jan 01st in spaces and that gets published. The Online click stream link battle is not much up for grabs.

The other media publishers like Times Of India is selective but the content is way too much cinematic, bit bordering on paid news. They have a long way to match with The Hindu . The thamizh magazines are bit playing safe , as my few relatives who occasionally read- they say most of them are rated very high. Did Deccan Herald the second rung english newspaper publish any during this season . 4 or 5 years I wrote few and gave it to Sashikiran , they published two and the rest was let go .I am not sure if they are continuing .

Also the academy concerts and line up of usual artists gets most coverage in The Hindu. Music Academy-The Hindu- Reviewers reviewing those MA concerts always have the highest share - rest are also there as sundries and miscellaneous. It is surely not just the reviewer fault here, the folks who decide to publish or unpublish , they hold the key.

The media makes or breaks a musician, because the reach is in thousands to millions in one stroke. You can see a trend there in general of those who are supported by media .

The Hindu is truly an honorable exception when compared to other media houses- forget about the few points that i raised . I have noticed the count of reviews have come down and all of them are restricted to only Friday . Many years before they used to have apart from The Friday reviews there used to special editions for the exclusive margazhi reviews that used to come in two additional Days every week .That is now gone. More publishing certainly mitigates the just? /Unjust? Favorited viewpoint. For the ecosystem of success of the collective carnatic musicians The Hindu can get back to their *more honorable exception * of publishing more reviews.