My series on musicians of Kerala in sruti magazine

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
CRama

Re: MY SERIES ON MUSICIANS OF KERALA IN SRUTI MAGAZINE

Post by CRama »

I am delighted to inform you that in the September issue of Sruti,my article on Parassala Ponnammal is published as COVER STORY- A ten page article, with lots of information, photos, anecdotes and opinions of various musicians- A collector's item.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Congratulations, sir. You are meticulous and committed to the task.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CRama wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 10:29 I am delighted to inform you that in the September issue of Sruti,my article on Parassala Ponnammal is published as COVER STORY- A ten page article, with lots of information, photos, anecdotes and opinions of various musicians- A collector's item.
Very nice! Is there a link?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, link please...

CRama

Post by CRama »

Because of copyright issues, it is not possible to give link to the article.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

All,
Sruti magazine does not permit scanning their pages and sharing.
One can buy the digital issue. One can buy the printed version online.

http://www.sruti.com/

CRama

Post by CRama »

It is my pleasure to inform you that my article on R.Krishnaswamy, who was famous for his handling of Music Lessons Programme- teaching carnatic music for 25 years over AIR, Trivandrum has been published in Sruti issue of November. Many professional singers learned rare compositions of trinity and others through this programme. The article has come out well with lot of photos. Seetha Rajan Mami, and Prof M.Subramania Sarma- Violin Vidwan from TVM have also shared their thoughts about this great vidwan.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Excellent!
Our family members (including me) have been greatly benefited by Krishnaswamy Sir's Radio lessons.

Permit me to say that I had written an article for 'The Indian Express' a few years back under the caption 'Master behind the voice'. My visiting Sir with a poet friend at Trivandrum before writing the story will remain in my memory for ever.

Sivaramakrishnan

CRama,
Eagerly awaiting to read your article in Sruti!

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 04 Nov 2017, 09:04
Permit me to say that I had written an article for 'The Indian Express' a few years back under the caption 'Master behind the voice'. My visiting Sir with a poet friend at Trivandrum before writing the story will remain in my memory for ever.
Would you have any online link to this article ? If so, could you post it here.

Sivaramakrishnan

Sorry, brain, the link is not available.

CRama

Post by CRama »

I am delighted to inform the forum that my article on Vechoor Hariharasubramania Iyer (Guru of Prince Rama Varma) has been published in the May issue of Sruti magazine. It contains interesting incidents from his life, some rare photographs and thoughts penned by Rama Varma about his Guru. I am thankful to Prince Rama Varma who has provided much of the inputs.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri C Rama avl,
Excellent article. The very opening line itself is catchy since Swathi Thirunal College is talked about.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
09 05 2018

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Missed the elephant in the room: Shri Yesudas ?

CRama

Post by CRama »

This is a series about musicians who have remained in Kerala and not become famous outside their home state. Hence I will not be writing about Yesudas in this series.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

Did we leave out
Vamanan namboodari

CRama

Post by CRama »

Vamanan Namboodiri- Not yet covered. But I have to see if he is already covered in Sruti magazine. If not, I will write.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

hi guys
did we leave out Vamanan namboodari
good at singing CM and Sopana sangeetham

CRama

Post by CRama »

ajaysimha,You asked this question on 13 May and I have already replied same day.

CRama

Post by CRama »

I am delighted to share in this forum that my article on Prof Subramania Sarma, renowned Violinst from Kerala and his son S.R.Mahadeva Sarma and daughter S.R. Rajasree- both famous violinists- have been published in the August issue of Sruti magazine.

On Aug 19, Mahadeva Sarma and Rajasree are playing a Violin Duet in MES Kalavedi, Malleswaram. They play very well and rasikas may attend if it is convenient for them.

RSR

Post by RSR »

CRama wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 10:29 I am delighted to inform you that in the September issue of Sruti,my article on Parassala Ponnammal is published as COVER STORY- A ten page article, with lots of information, photos, anecdotes and opinions of various musicians- A collector's item.
Respected Sir,
It is an honour to have one's articles getting p ublished in Sruti. , well-deserved honour too. Some requests.
1) how many artistes have you covered so far?
2( how many more are in the offing
---------------------------------------------
Would it not be a good idea to have the completed series in book form as gamakam has done on his write up on GNB? and make it available from leading stores on-line and inform the readers? It may be a bit costly but worth it.
I volunteer to contribute my humble mite to a unique effort.
---------------------------------------------
For the present you can give links to the various sruti issues.

Once again, Congratulations for a great effort .

Best Regards.

CRama

Post by CRama »

RSR. Thanks for the suggestion of bringing into a book form. It has been expressed by a few other well wishers also. But bringing out a book has got its own difficulties in the current scenario. I am very inexperienced in this area. But will definitely explore.

The demand is more to translate into Malayalam and publish it. I will see that possibility also.

Seventh article is going to be published. As it stands, I intend to go upto 15.

Thanks for your good wishes.

CRama

Post by CRama »

I can not give link here for my articles in Sruti. Those who wish can subscribe for the same. On line issue is also available.

RSR

Post by RSR »

CRama wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 22:18 I can not give link here for my articles in Sruti. Those who wish can subscribe for the same. On line issue is also available.
Respected Sir, I would like to know if translations in Tamil and MalayaLam are covered by copyright issues by sruti mag.
If not I suggest that you proceed with the translations .
People interested in classicaklmusic and musicians of Kerala, can be found in good number in Kanyakumari district, and Coimbatore-Palgat areas. They are mostly bi-lingual.
Your work if first translated into malayaLam will be a hit in Kerala.

Have you heard of KaNNan of 'kAlacchchuvadu? iT IS A PERIODICAL IN TAMIL PUBLISHED FROM nAGERKOIL.
I suggest that you contact him about the proposal. I believe that he encourages such works as yours.

Give me some more days. I will try to find out other publishers.

Best Regards.

CRama

Post by CRama »

RSR, Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will start working towards it.

CRama

Post by CRama »

I am happy to share with all of you that under the series on MUSICIANS OF KERALA, my article on Sankaran Namboothiri has been published n the November issue of Sruti magazine. It has come out very well- with lot of information, vintage photos as also the photo of his latest concert in Ilayaraja's house.

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Hello @CRama, thank you for your series. I tried searching for the link to Sruti magazine online, but sruti.com seems to be under maintenance and I could only find this link that offers a subscription to the magazine. Could you please confirm if this is indeed the right Sruti magazine to subscribe to? Thanks in advance.

ark07

Post by ark07 »

Yup. That's the right Sruti magazine. In fact, if you click preview you can also see a couple of pages from CRama's article.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

This indeed a welcome move. I wish I had seen this article much earlier. We have some more artists from Trichur- which is known as the cultural capital of Kerala:

C Rajendran - Violin (AIR Trichur)
(late) - CS. Krishna Iyer (Vocal)
(late) - M. Purushottama Sharma Mridangam (AIR Trichur) a well known Guru and performer. Disciple of late Shri SVS Narayanan
K Parameshwaran Namboothiri - AIR Trichur - Mridangam
Nedumangad Sivanandan - Violin

List is endless...

All are stalwarts in their own right and are well known to Chennai Musicians, but not rasikas :)

bhasi

Post by bhasi »

Thank you @ark07, will subscribe to it now.

@CRama Here are a couple of names from the new generation for your consideration: Vivek Moozhikkulam, Harikrishnan KR.

CRama

Post by CRama »

C.S.Krishna Iyer has been covered long ago. I will be writing on Mangad Natesan in future. Other names I have noted.
Vivek Moozhikulam sings well. I will write about him in another article of upcoming musicians. I am collecting information for that.
Harikrishnan I am including in my article on Omanakutty. Yet to hear his music.

bhasi. Thanks for your decision to subscribe Sruti magazine. It contains a wealth of information on music, dance, Hindustani music and theatre also. You can buy old issues - bound volumes or on line issues.
Pleased read my article and give me your feedback.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

@CRama Sir

Let me rewrite the list that comes to my mind:

1. late R Krishna Iyer (Trichur) - Vocal (not sure about the pre-fix initial of the name)
2. K Parameshwaran Namboothiri (Trichur)-Mridangam
3. late M Purushottama Sharma (Trichur)-Mridangam (disciple of SVS Narayanan)
4. Nedumangad Sivanandan - Violin
5. Narayana Pisharody - Mridangam
6. Koduvayur Radhakrishnan - Mridangam
7. (late) Mavelikkara SR Raju - Mridangam
8. K P Parameshwaran - Mridangam (Kodunthirapully Parameshwaran) - disciple of TK Murthy- the great.
The true inheritor of TKM baani, if I may say so (may raise some eyebrows)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Already I have got a list. It will take some years to complete your list. Let me see how far I can go. Thanks for your suggestions. Please keep reading Sruti.

By the way, are you from Thrissur. I have lived in Thrissur for some time- in Poonkunnam and Ayyanthole. Got many relatives there.

murkeychris

Post by murkeychris »

I am new to this forum but have signed up to thank @CRama and the others who have commented here. I am a music journalist based in London and am visiting Kerala in January / February. I have enjoyed Indian music for many years and and am now deep in research so as to be able to write about it competently. I always prefer to meet musicians at home rather than out on tour - it gives a bit more flavour I think - but I was struggling to find musicians of note based in Kerala rather than Chennai. Then I found this thread!

Kind wishes to you all,

Christopher

facebook.com/christopherconderwriter

CRama

Post by CRama »

murkeychris. Welcome to the forum. In Trivandrum, the prestigious Kuthiramalika festival is lined up for 4 Jan to 13 Jan. I will send you the prog separately. I am also planning to go for the festival. Send me a mail. We will try to meet there.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Chris
May I know on behalf of few forumites how you knew about this rasikas.org forum.Did any person tell you or was that an accidental search in google that lead you here Please elaborate how you got to know the site? YOur insight will help us. Warm welcome to the forum

murkeychris

Post by murkeychris »

@CRama, thank you so much. Sadly however I won’t be there in time for the festival. I should have said before! I am around from the 17th of January to the 10th of February (although the 20th to the 25th is entirely taken up in Thiruvanathapuram with work).

@rajeshnat, it was actually via the Kuthiramalika festival that I found this forum. I thought that it might have have some Kerelan artists playing and through Googling one of the artists on the line-up (I forget which offhand) I found this thread. Thank you for your welcome.

I have been listening to S R Mahadeva Sarma and his family and very much enjoying the music so e-mailed him a few days to see if we could meet. No reply yet, but hopefully soon. @CRama, if it is to go ahead I'll definitely buy a copy of the magazine with your article for research.

Best wishes,

Chris

CRama

Post by CRama »

Under the above series of MUSICIANS OF KERALA, I have so far published the following articles in Sruti magazine, which have been well received by the music lovers.

• Neyyattinkara Mohanachandran
• Cherthala Gopalan Nair
• Parassala B. Ponnammal
• R.Krishnawamy
• Vechoor Hariharasubramania Iyer
• Subramania Sarma and family
• Sankaran Namboodiri

The following articles are in the pipe line.

• Dr. Omanakutty
• Nellai Krishnamurthy
• Neyyattinkara Vasudevan

Many of my well wishers have suggested that the articles need to be translated into Malayalam and published in book form for better reach among the music aspirants of the younger generation. I solicit the collaboration of music lovers who have got proficiency in Malayalam to do the translation work for me. I am prepared to pay them reasonable compensation for their work eventhough I will not be getting anything from the publishers as it is not a profitable job for them. I can provide the soft copy in English and there is ample time to carry out the job.

Those who are interested may kindly contact in my mail id- ramkarthik55@yahoo.co.in.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@63-> C.Rama-> Respected Sir, Your series is very unique. and should be made available to all CM lovers of today in Thamizh and MalayaaLam. There would be many in this forum and outside, who would do it as a labour of love without any financial motive. Different articles can be done by different translators and finally edited by you. It can certainly be done before the music season in 2019 at Chennai and Chembai Music festival in Kerala. .. May I request you to arrange with the admin, to make the thread sticky, so that volunteers will not miss it? Once it gets buried in the hundreds of threads in General discussion, it will be difficult to bring it the notice of hundreds of music enthusiasts knowing English and MalayaaLam and English and Thamizh.
==========================================================
For my part, I will take up tamizh translation of one of the biographical sketches. I know a bit of MalayaaLam but not enough to be a translator. but I can sound my MalayaaLam knowing friends ( not much interested in CM however) to contribute their share to your wonderful venture. Regards.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks RSR

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

If there are no 'time pressure', I can help with Malayalam.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks braindrain. I will get back to you

RSR

Post by RSR »

Google gives a tool for translation of English sentence into Thamizh and other Indian languages. I am yet to explore fully. Just now tried a simple English sentence .
https://translate.google.co.in/m?hl=en& ... +malayalam
-------------------------------
I want to translate a page on malayalam carnatic musicians into malayalam
When I pressed 'translate' button, I got the following line in thamizh.
-------------------------------------------------------
நான் மலையாளத்தில் கர்நாடக இசைக்கலைஞர்கள் ஒரு பக்கம் மொழிபெயர்க்க விரும்புகிறேன்
Nāṉ malaiyāḷattil karnāṭaka icaikkalaiñarkaḷ oru pakkam moḻipeyarkka virumpukiṟēṉ
As a bonus, I got transliteration of the thamizh sentence also ( shown in red)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
When I chose English -> Malayaalam
I got
മലയാളത്തിനായുള്ള കർണാടിക് സംഗീതജ്ഞരെ മലയാളത്തിലേക്ക് ഒരു താൾ പരിഭാഷപ്പെടുത്താൻ ഞാൻ ആഗ്രഹിക്കുന്നു
malayāḷattināyuḷḷa karṇāṭik saṅgītajñare malayāḷattilēkk oru tāḷ paribhāṣappeṭuttān ñān āgrahikkunnu
====================================================
I think, the translation is fairly good. After getting the rough translation rapidly, we can then carefully edit if required.
By the way, what is the transliteration scheme used here?

RSR

Post by RSR »

another example

https://translate.google.co.in/m?hl=en& ... ranslation

click on the link to see the image, please!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thanks RSR for your efforts. Will look into this.

RSR

Post by RSR »

I believe that the following links for the articles under discussion, will be useful to rasikas eager to place order on line.
and then translate into malayaaLam and other south Indian languages.
===================================================
May 2017 Neyyattinkara Mohanachandran
http://sruti.com/index.php?route=produc ... uct_id=464
issue 392
------------------------------------------------------------------
July 2017 Chertalla Gopalan Nair
Sep 2017 Parassala Ponnammal (Cover Story)
http://sruti.com/index.php?route=produc ... uct_id=468
issue 396
----------------------------------------------------

Nov 2017 R.Krishnaswamy
-------------------------------------------------------------
May 2018 Vechoor Hariharasubramania Iyer
issue 404
http://sruti.com/index.php?route=produc ... uct_id=482

Aug 2018 Subramania sarma and family
----------------------------------------------
Nov 2018 Sankaran Namboodiri
issue 410
page-42-
http://sruti.com/index.php?route=produc ... uct_id=490
============================================================

CRama

Post by CRama »

RSR. Thanks for your efforts.

CRama

Post by CRama »

I am happy to inform that my article on Dr.Omanakutty is published as cover story in the Sruti magazine of April 2019. It has come out very well with lot of information and nice pictures of the entire family- her parents, siblings, daughter and grandchildren. It assumes more significance as she received Sangeeta Kala Acharya from Academy in 2018.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri CRama
A very good exhaustive write up as usual. Enjoyed every line. Thanks.
Thanjavooran
11 04 2019

murkeychris

Post by murkeychris »

murkeychris wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 01:19I am a music journalist based in London and am visiting Kerala in January / February.
Dear Rasikas, I thought you might like a brief update on this. I had a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable visit. In Trivandrum I met Professor M. Subramonia Sarma, his son S. R. Mahadeva Sarmavia and his daughter S.R. Rajasree. Thank you for introducing these musicians to me @CRama. I will credit you in my article.

Later, in Kochi I met carnatic musicians Vivek Shenoy, Kripal Sairam and Vinod D. Mallya, as well as visiting a festival and speaking to a Kathakali troop.

I wonder if I may go off topic a little to ask a question about kathakali that Google has not been able to provide me an answer for. To make their eyes red, I understand the performers use a chundanga 'seed'. What I am not clear on is whether the seed dyes the eyes with a natural red colour, or whether the seed simply irritates the eyes, making them bloodshot. Does anyone know the answer?

Many thanks, Christopher

www.facebook.com/christopherconderwriter