kvchellappa

Re: Music academy Schedule is published Dec 2017

Post by kvchellappa »

Atman is not around you, but you.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Interesting 2 "why"s and 1 important point:

We discuss only MA Schedule every year and not other sabhAs' ?
Sanjay Subramanian has not been singing in MFAC for so many years. We never discuss this. But Vijay Siva, not singing in MA, discussed at length !

Sangeetha KalAnidhi is the best award, every musician aspires. No doubt. To get a slot to sing in MA, how much of lobbying is going on ? Worse than our present Govt MLAs lobbying...

All the artists are not Chartered accountants like Sanjay or IT guys like Ramakrishna murthy or Doctor like Doctor Ganesh. They need entry in MA which will be like Green Card to get more concerts any where in India/world and will also make them to increase the price. CV will be complete. No turning back after that.

This week end, MA competition starts. See the crowd. Even for Varnam competition, there will be 100 entries !!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The carnatic musicians featured at Music academy will definitely be featured else where.There may be some disagreements,but generally Class performers are chosen - Here one may point out X is not good but Y is good and not getting chance etc etc.Lobbying may be there but inspite of that without a particular minimum standing,one does not get slots.
After an artist performs for a number of years one can even declare like TMK that he will not perform hence forth.But he has already drawn the cream and he has nothing to lose.
Ramakrishnan Murthy is there not because of IT,but because he is a serious Carnatic Music performer.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 11:41 Sanjay Subramanian has not been singing in MFAC for so many years.
GRS
I dont know who you are , but you appear connected with musicians based on different posts you made.You are making a bit erroneous judgement, there maybe a reason for sanjay not getting featured in MFAC and that could be even a personal choice, MFAC may have ignored an evening slot and that may have stuck. Also note MFAC had till 2 years before only one evening slot and not evening I and evening II slot which has come in place so sanjay may have missed it.

This year I bet sanjay will be featured in below slots
Academy - Day 1
NGS with NGS sabha - Day 3
NGS with Karthik Fine Arts - Day 5
SKGS - Day 7
Vanimahal - Day 9
Brahma gana sabha - Day 11
Brahma gana sabha - of late one more , why the hell they give once more I dont understand - Day 13
Parthasarathy - Day 15
Indian Fine Arts - Day 17
Thamizh Isai - Parrys - Day 19
One Bandh day for almost all artists when MA sadas is going on - Jan 01st

kalarasana (may happen some times , now this sabha is not featuring much)
Kalakshetra (may happen sometimes it just goes on rotation with only one or two slot)
Kamaraj hall (gets more publicity but no exclusivity, they bloody put posters in compound walls)

May be if sanjay decides not to take a days break he may get MFAC , but I think he astutely thinks long term and more importantly his going rate can go with the choice of refusing that sabha MFAC and still say in top 5. Last year I see sanjay was not getting featured in CCA and also Mudhra, the grapevine was the going rate and with he getting back SKGS after few years of gap it is ok for him to pass mudhra and cca .If you think all the crowd pullers in dec season they only take alternate days of concerts . Sanjay and Ranjini gAyatri,Sudha, and aruna always do that alternate days. They may not have the courage to sing daily and I am not saying they have to.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sanjay is on Dec 27 at Music academy

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnbhagavan wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 13:11 Sanjay is on Dec 27 at Music academy
I do know that sir, but I was just stating to indicate alternate days . IT is just inevitable that musicians have to skip few big sabhas too when they take alternative day approach.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rajesh,
You mean the gaps between performances.I see your point.some Venues may get skipped due to Schedule issues.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

B Balasubramaniam's rendering has some of that 'old world charm'. Hope to attend.

What about the schedule of Morning Lec dems?

arasi

Post by arasi »

You said it. That old world charm!

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

I timed my winter break to be in Madras during Dec 22-Jan 7. I will be traveling from Houston via Doha. Hoping to hear Sanjay and also meet at least a few of our fellow Rasikas! Is there a Rasikas Meet?

@Nick: Based on your extensive audio systems, soundmen, a/c, cafeteria, chai, and cottonwool datasets, what are the current best balanced venues? Thanks in advance!

Maybe someone can guide as to where the best lecdems are. Many Thanks!

melam72

Post by melam72 »

shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 05:52 Maybe someone can guide as to where the best lecdems are. Many Thanks!
The best lec-dems are at Parthasarathi Swami Sabha. Nice breakfast, nice topics, and two hours to talk about the topic in detail. Same for Raga Sudha lecdems. Music Academy's lec-dems are shorter (1 hour) which suits most people with the attention span of a goldfish

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 05:52@Nick: Based on your extensive audio systems, soundmen, a/c, cafeteria, chai, and cottonwool datasets, what are the current best balanced venues? Thanks in advance!
You can get far better cafeteria advice from others, so I won't off my thoughts on the food. For the social scene, it is hard to beat the academy. And hey, the auditorium is not bad either! :)

You know, you'll find yourself chasing the artists you want to see. MA is the best hall if you can sit fairly near the front: After Jan 1st, it will be all dance there.

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

@melam72, @Nick H: Thanks for the referrals. I am much obliged.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

We should be able to download other schedules soon, and be able to sketch out some of our December days :)

Unfortunately there is no good app to help us track our favourite artists, and venues. Many have tried, but only one succeeded, but it was not kept alive.

Vocalist

Music academy 2016 programs

Post by Vocalist »

Another year has passed, but a lot of known names have been cut this year! I've started off rajeshnat's report :)

Those who are going out this year to make way for others :
-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Nithyasree Mahadevan - it feels like it has been many years but alas, it has happened. :(

2. Priya Sisters - after quite some time too if I am not mistaken.

3. Unnikrishnan - does it have to be temporary? :roll:

4. Sriram Parthasarathy - this year it was the male who got the cut; last year it was Subhashini Parthasarathy (I believe no relation other than sharing the same surname).

5. Savitha Narasimhan

Those who are entering this year :
-------------------------------------

1. Visakha Hari - after a year absence.

2. Saketharaman - as above.

3. Gayathri Girish - I guess she might be alternating with Nithyashree now?

4. Bharath Sundar - promoted to evening slot.

5. Vidya Kalyanaraman - promoted to evening slot.

6. S. Varadarajan violin solo on day 1 instead of U. Rajesh mandolin solo.

In Afternoon slots-Either entering for the first time or coming again for a gap:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. For sibling quota, Anahitha & Apoorva are in (and Archana & Arthi are out). Alternating is ok and they sing well, but my general peeve is that Anahitha & Apoorva do perform for yet a second time with the Harikatha on New Year's Day. Would it not be better if someone who hasn't performed in the season got the opportunity?

2. Vasudha Ravi is in (Usha Padmanabhan is out).

3. Rithvik Raja is in (Swarna Rethas is out).

4. DB Ashwin - the grandson of TK Rengachari is in (R. Ganesh is out).

5. For instrumental solo quota, Lakshmi Ramasubramaniam on veena comes in (Vishaal Sapuram on chitravina takes a bow).

6. Sushma Somasekharan (instead of Revathy Kumar)

7. Venkata Nagarajan (instead of Trichy L. Saravanan for flute solo)

In Morning Slots
----------------
The Sangeetha kalanidhi and respected artist who don't have much commercial might move here to morning slot. Most of the slot and artists are the same but:

1. Maharajapuram Ramachandran is out - he should have been in I feel; getting rid of the entire Maharajapuram bani this year it seems as they cut R. Ganesh at the same time.

2. TV Sankaranarayanan - given his form, he too should have been in I feel, but B Balasubramaniyam shall fill in.

3. Suguna Varadachari is in - Prema Rangarajan is out again.

4. Seetha Narayanan is out.

5. Sugandha Kalamegham is in - Raji Gopalakrishnan is out again.

6. For flute solo quota, Jayaprada Ramamurthy is in - V.K. Raman is out.

7. For veena solo quota, S Srinivasan will take Tara Mohan's place.

8. For violin duo, Lalgudi Srimathi & Anuradha Sridhar was out last year (presumably decided to focus on A. Kanyakumari given it was her SK year). But they do not return this year and the extra vocalist performance from last year gets cut while M. Chandrasekharan & G. Bharathi are selected for that violin duo quota instead.
Last edited by Vocalist on 31 Oct 2017, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavooran

Music academy 2016 programs

Post by thanjavooran »

Vocalist,
A very well analyzed thesis. ' Old order changeth yielding place to new '
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
31 10 2017

rajeshnat

Re: Music academy 2016 programs

Post by rajeshnat »

vocalist
Great post . When I have time will add more

melam72

Post by melam72 »

The Music Academy lec dem schedule is out too:

http://www.musicacademymadras.in/confer ... certs-2017

(Scroll to the bottom of the page)

devan

Post by devan »

Papu. Venugopal has resigned from his post. Probably v. Sriram may conduct the proceedings.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

devan wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 20:33 Papu. Venugopal has resigned from his post. Probably v. Sriram may conduct the proceedings.
V Sriram taking over the reigns seems to be quite natural

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

devan wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 20:33 Papu. Venugopal has resigned from his post. Probably v. Sriram may conduct the proceedings.
The reason for his resignation is out in the media

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/ma ... list-71726