Music academy Schedule is published Dec 2017

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
hnbhagavan

Music academy Schedule is published Dec 2017

Post by hnbhagavan »

Music academy Schedule is on its Website.
Vijaya Siva is a notable omission.
Mysore Brothers also do not figure in the list.
However a number of Violinists from Bangalore have been featured for accompaniments.
B K Raghu
H M Smitha
H K Venkataram
C N chandrasekhar

vijay.siddharth

Re: Music academy Schedule is published Dec 2017

Post by vijay.siddharth »

So soon?

At school for a tamil oral exam.Will return home and present a detailed analysis

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A great fare. TMK and VS are not there on their choice, I would think.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

No TVS ?

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

TVS and TNS are not included.But there is one Dr.B.Balasubramanian in the senior slot for vocal.
S Srinivasan - Veena in the senior slot.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bhagvan,,
Dr. B. Balasubrahmanian is adjunct associate professor of music at Wesleyan. I am glad to hear that he's singing at the Academy. You might be able to hear him in a Cleveland concert on the You Tube. His singing and of his singing tamizh songs appeals to me.
About the karnataka artistes: a lot of them are featured, though there are a few misses for you there. Not many Andhra artistes, it seems.
One veena concert after the other too? Haven't looked at the schedule at leisure yet...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Thanks to Arasi madam reg Balasubramanyam.

vijay.siddharth

Since most people know a lot about most of the artistes and their merits, let me list a few notable omissions:

1) Vijaya Siva
2) Nithyashree
3) Unnikrishnan
4) TV Shankaranarayanan
5) TN Seshagopalan
6) TNS Krishna
7) Suryaprakash
8) Savita Narasimhan (her pre-Sanjay slot has been lost to Amrutha Venkatesh)
9) Dr M Narmadha (violin)
10) Nagai Muralidharan (violin)
11) Akkarai Soralatha (violin) (Subbulakshmi is accompanying Chitravina Ravikiran on his Sangeetha Kalanidhi concert)
12) Karaikudi Mani (mrdangam)
13) Guruvayur Dorai (mrdangam)
14) Uzhavoor Babu (mrdangam)
15) Melakaveri Balaji (mrdangam)
16) Vikku Vinayakram (ghatam)

Also seems unfair that Pantula Rama and MSN Murthy are seperated; can't Anuradha Sridhar play for Suguna Varadachari?

Excited to see the number of veena concerts since I am a huge veena fan and also it is Veena Dhanammal's 150th birth anniversary. The fact that Suguna mami, Professor Balasubhramanyan, Sugandha Kalamegham, and S Srinivasan (Karaikudi vainika) are performing will keep me in the Academy in mornings (unless, of course, Mint Padmanabhan's breakfast stoops below conventional standards of mediocrity).

Recommendations:
(a) prepone the start time of the morning concerts to 8:00AM and give 2 senior vidwans a 90 minute slot instead of forcing them to exert themselves over the entire duration of a 150 minute concert at their advanced ages?
(b) organise a full series of master classes by senior vidwans after the Lecture Demonstration ends so music students can learn rare krithis, pallavis, and other manodharmic pieces? The Academy can even charge for it and post the list of lessons beforehand so that students can learn the pieces they want to?
(c) Expand the festival so it covers the entirety of December so more artistes can be featured?

Please feel free to add more.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dr.Narmada is accompanying Gayatri Girish on Dec 31.
Vikku Vinayaka Ram does not play accompaniment.He has to get an independent slot for Ghatam show.
Anuradha Sridhar accompanying dr.Pantula rama is welcome.Instead of listening to the same combination,Changes are welcome.
TV Shankara Narayanan and TN Seshagopalan non inclusion is a disappointment,but perhaps they have given way to others who were not featured.

jodha

Post by jodha »

After reading vijay.siddharth post I thought these may be the reasons.
VS - not performing since Sanjay was given SK.So it is more out of disillusionment that he refuses to perform in MA.
Nithyasree & TNS - out of form esp.bad throat
TVS - no variety.unwilling to change his boring routine.
Upto now the omissions are justifiable.

Savita Narasimhan - may be on health grounds she voluntarily opted out since last year she was awarded the best singer award.

For others there are unfathomable reasons as most of them are accompanists.
UKS has 2 concerts.They could have given one to may be KM.
I feel nothing wrong about Pantula rama's separation(?) from hubby.She will be able to unleash her talent freely I beleive.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I feel one among the big omissions is Mysore nagaraj and Manjunath.They are not figuring in the accompaniments role,but lesser players from Karnataka are featured.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 19:16 15) Melakaveri Balaji (mrdangam)
melakaveri balaji is playing with GG and Narmadha on the Dec 31st evening I . To the best of my knowledge that particular slot is not accounted for any prizes as on Dec 31st evening onwards itself you keep hearing the award announcement . I usually do a little more analysis but that needs more time may be I will do it or may skip it this time.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

arasi wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 00:44 Bhagvan,,
Dr. B. Balasubrahmanian is adjunct associate professor of music at Wesleyan. I am glad to hear that he's singing at the Academy. You might be able to hear him in a Cleveland concert on the You Tube.
Here is a recording of Tatvam Ariya Tarama by B. Balasubramanian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSv6b5xTLU

vijay.siddharth

@jodha- could you please clarify what do you mean by health grounds with respect to
Savita Narasimhan?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

At least we see a slight elevation in the quality of evening slots, with the disappearance of Nithya-scream, Unnikrishnan, and their replacement by good youngsters like Bharath Sundar and Vidya Kalyanaraman. However, with occupants of the evening slot like Bombay Jayashree, Sudha, and The Cowherdess, one can only picture the delight of Bovine rasikas and the depression of Porcine rasikas like ourselves. Hopefully Indian Fine Arts or Parthasarathy has better fare (canteen and elsewhere) this season…

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Do not worry, one day in the future a song on Varaha will become more popular than the one for the cows, much to the delight of the new porcine avatars who've replaced the previous yuga's tiger triumvirate . :lol: Perhaps if there was a popular krithi on Varahaswamy... oh wait, there is :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNrLG8npmw

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

There is one typo in the schedule. For trichur brothers, the violin name appears twice. Mridhangam is missing (or messing...) !!!

TVS raiskas really miss him in MA. But I agree, he does not even change the kritis. His son also follows the same route of his father.
Venkata Nagaraj inclusion is a real welcome. This chap has got a sweet voice, very humble.

Pattabhiram pandit and Aswath- double KVN dhamAka.....

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

TNS Krishna should be included. He has got great talent. Don't understand why is he missing ?
Honestly, Sudha Ragunathan should come in the morning slot. She has gone down in her voice. Recently I listened Vinayagar Chaturti festival near Alwarpet. Not good.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Who is the violinist for Malladi Brothers ? Any guess !!!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

may be Embar Kannan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:08 Who is the violinist for Malladi Brothers ? Any guess !!!
grs,
Malladis are very powerful lobbyist . year on year just glossing they are able to push some very heavy weights .If my memory is right last year they had trichy sankaran sir and S varadarajan. S varadarajan goes back to sanjay this year.The usual unwritten rule is 98% artist will only have a single concert with 4 exceptions that usually happens (If my memory is right few artists in the past and present play more than once like Sankaran , UKS ,Nagai Sriram , S Varadarajan). I think V Sanjeev,murari and Nagai Muralidharan are missing. It should be either Sanjeev or murari who would play for malladi as it is likely that nagai murali may have just missed his morning slot. Last year murali played for maharajapuram ramachandran who is now out.

For trichur brothers they may not bring their sangeetha lokathil dhuruvan appa Mohan as academy will not likely allow senior artist mrudangist to sub senior vocalist . Dont know who the mrudangam artist would be for trichur brothers , I can guess but it needs time - already did a bit of breaking my head to search and put the name Sanjeev , murari and Nagai murali??
Last edited by rajeshnat on 23 Sep 2017, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

hnbhagavan wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:39 may be Embar Kannan
Embar Kannan is playing with A kanyakumari still possible for him have an accompaniment slot . But will Sanjeev or Murari be passed we have to wait. Your guess can be right and mine can be wrong too. Even Balu Raghuraman is missing ?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Long ago rupee was linked to six hard currencies. RBI followed a pattern, but if they were consistent, market could find out by modelling. So, they would put out some misaligned rates to fox the market. MA may be as wise!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sumitra Vasudev,Amrita Murali and Amrita Venkatesh seems to have been fixed for evening slots.
Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi deserving get
a regular slot.There are 5 Violin concerts- TN Krishnan,M Chandrasekaran,A Kanyakumari ,S Varadarajan and Lalgudi GJR Krishnan.
To me exceptionally talented Mysore Nagaraj should be put along with Malladi Bros.
Dr.K N Renganatha sarma is having regular evening slot.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

rajeshnat wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:55
grsastrigal wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:08 Who is the violinist for Malladi Brothers ? Any guess !!!
grs,
Malladis are very powerful lobbyist
No, the Obul Reddy goshti are powerful lobbyists, heaping liberal doses of Vitamin M.
rajeshnat wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:55 For trichur brothers they may not bring their sangeetha lokathil dhuruvan appa Mohan as academy will not likely allow senior artist mrudangist to sub senior vocalist
More like the Academy doesn't care if the artiste is out of their comfort zones and preferred accompaniments because you can't tell the Academy what they need to do.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

SrinathK wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 10:28 Perhaps if there was a popular krithi on Varahaswamy... oh wait, there is :
Will it be sung with unnecassary theatrics?

Will it be sung by a subpar musician with no 'voice' whatsoever?

Will it be sung with scant regard for laya?

If so, I can guaruntee you that the song will be insanely popular :lol: :lol:

melam72

Post by melam72 »

SrinathK wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 10:28 Do not worry, one day in the future a song on Varaha will become more popular than the one for the cows, much to the delight of the new porcine avatars who've replaced the previous yuga's tiger triumvirate . :lol:
As Bhumi Devi drowned, Vishnu assumed the form of Varaha and saved her.

As Carnatic music drowns in mediocrity, we humans turn into pigs and save Carnatic Music.

The song commemmorating our efforts will be just incidental :lol: 8-)

jodha

Post by jodha »

The already beleagured MA worsened after N.Murali took over.That only will happen when businessmen take over arts who are not at all given to appreciating them nor have a taste.TTV was xceptional who ran hitherto.

Where is valayapatti now ?

I am sure N.Murali is not at the helm of affairs , there is a vicious group behind.Thats the grapevine.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

jodha wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 17:34 TTV was xceptional who ran hitherto.
Oh please, Vasu was no saint either.

After 3 in the afternoon, he was only in the Madras Club getting drunk. Artistes would come to him for chances and he'd agree then for then to sing for the season at the Academy.

What happened next? To recount the old proverb, Kudikaaran Pechu Vidinchaa Pochu.

Total joker with no respect for music or musicians
jodha wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 17:34 I am sure N.Murali is not at the helm of affairs , there is a vicious group behind.Thats the grapevine.
Since you are so fond of granting peeks at grapevines, would it be possible for thy to reign to share who this 'vicious group' may consist of? V Sriram, perhaps?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

jodha wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 17:34 Where is valayapatti now ?
Where is AKC Natarajan? Where is Namagiripettai Krishnan?

jodha

Post by jodha »

Valayapatti was the first one to be conferred SK after N.M took over I think and a lot of hype was created.
Namagiripettai left the world long back without getting SK.Of course AKC a SK is not considered by MA for not only concerts but any other thing associated.
Before getting the much coveted SK , TVG sulked hardly a year before " I don't know whether MA has my name among the list of artists ".
So MA has such a legacy, dhadhagiri type.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 19:16 Since most people know a lot about most of the artistes and their merits, let me list a few notable omissions:

1) Vijaya Siva
Just a nagging doubt, why do so many people say Vijaya Siva, isn't his name Vijay Siva?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:55
grs,
Malladis are very powerful lobbyist . year on year just glossing they are able to push some very heavy weights .If my memory is right last year they had trichy sankaran sir and S varadarajan. ....
What do you mean by powerful lobbyist. Loose words with no meaning or substance.

Malladis have come up the hard way and are excellent artists. Artists like Trichy Sankaran, UKS, Karaikudi Mani etc have perfomed in numerous concerts for their gurus Nedunuri and Voleti and they continue to perform regularly with Malladis. Where is lobbying in this ....... :o :o :o

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

arasi wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 00:44 Bhagvan,,
Dr. B. Balasubrahmanian is adjunct associate professor of music at Wesleyan. I am glad to hear that he's singing at the Academy. You might be able to hear him in a Cleveland concert on the You Tube. His singing and of his singing tamizh songs appeals to me.
About the karnataka artistes: a lot of them are featured, though there are a few misses for you there. Not many Andhra artistes, it seems.
One veena concert after the other too? Haven't looked at the schedule at leisure yet...
Here is one of the beautiful renditions on Gajavadana - Kriti of Kumara Etendra in Thodi by Dr. BB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTZq9ARkIP8&t=4s

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

--
Last edited by ram1999 on 25 Sep 2017, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Not sure why people get so much bothered about who is who isnt included in the Music Academy List.
There are at least 100 sabhas who host concerts and the same artist perform in each of these venues.
Let MA manage what they want and how they wish to be, instead music lovers flock to other sabhas and listen to your favs...

Oh this Kolanidhi and MA schedule is becoming a senseless topic to debate.

BTW it is now time for guess who will be the Sangeetha Kolanidhi - 2019 :D

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

"Not sure why people get so much bothered about who is who isnt included in the Music Academy List.
There are at least 100 sabhas who host concerts and the same artist perform in each of these venues."-ram1999

Music Academy is equivalent to Nobel Committee as far as Carnatic Music is concerned.There is no topic not worth debating.You can skip the topic in case u do not like.As the heading indicates the topic,you can very well skip!
Once sangeetha Kalanidhi is conferred,There are at least half dozen Sabhas in Bangalore which will compete to honor the person.
Similarly if an artist gets a permanent slot in the Academy schedule,he is bound to be featured in other Sabhas.
Accoustic wise,Seating arrangements,daily ticket price etc is the best in Music Academy.
In Krishna Gana Sabha depending on the artist they charge as per their whims and fancy.
Last year i paid Rs 300/ for Vijay Siva and Rs 500/ fo a Sanjay concert.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 13:44

Music Academy is equivalent to Nobel Committee as far as Carnatic Music is concerned....

hahaha, good luck :lol: :lol:

And that shows their skewed pattern on selection of artists who will perform and who will not, year after year and selection of the awardees !! They are in a way like the current congress party :D :D

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

hnbhagavan wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 13:44 "
Once sangeetha Kalanidhi is conferred,There are at least half dozen Sabhas in Bangalore which will compete to honor the person.
Similarly if an artist gets a permanent slot in the Academy schedule,he is bound to be featured in other Sabhas.
Does that mean Bangalore Sabhas and other Sabhas dont have a mind of their own ?? just asking ?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I can't be bothered with the MA schedule until sometime in early December itself. I've never bought a season ticket, but I've sometimes thought of it. I'm not thinking of it now.

Don't think it is has as much for me as some previous years, but hey, I can't complain: I had a good run of seeing favourite artists there for several years.

The Music Academy's importance is purely self-given. However, whilst others accept that, I am happy for artists that get "recognition." And yes, it is comfortable, with above-average acoustics. And probably the best December concerts are free, but as to the cost of the evening concerts, if one wants to see the artist, the cost is in thousands, not hundreds.

One advantage of the Music Academy's "importance" is that it is the best social spot in the season. It is the place where we of rasikas.org are most likely to bump into each other, and where we are most likely to meet our friends from around the world. So whatever I think of stuff like their ridiculous ego-boosting security etc... you'll find me there often, if not in the hall then in the canteen or foyer. I may not be interested in a season ticket for the concerts, but I buy my tea tickets in bulk. (And I tank up at some local chai shop at 8 or 10 Rs, rather than 30)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I feel Bangalore sabhas are independent and their putting together kalavantha is unique. I do not think they ape MA.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

What rasikas feel and what artists feel about MA may not be the same. Why is there so much heartburn in the artists when they are not awarded SK while similar heartburn is not in evidence about the other titles? 'It doea not matter' to rasikas is different from 'It does not matter' to the artists.
I have seen this syndrome in all awards, promotions, etc. and MA cannot claim any intellectual property right here!
We rasikas seem to be more exercised over it.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

"Oh this Kolanidhi and MA schedule is becoming a senseless topic to debate."
A majority of members of this forum seem to think all posts belong to that category based on their non-participation!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

:lol: ... Of course they are senseless topics. But let's still debate them! :D

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

" I feel Bangalore sabhas are independent and their putting together kalavantha is unique. I do not think they ape MA.

While it is true that Bangalore sabhas have their own mind and organised KALAVANTHA,still some honors follow after one gets Sangeethakalanidhi.
There is no arguing the fact the choice of artists for Sangeethakalanidhi is generally fair.True there have been some exceptions.
Similarly many of the smaller awards are als well made.Eg: The Best violinist award.If you see the list these are the leading Violin Vidwans now.
One can always make sarcastic comments on each and every selection to find loop holes.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Everyone here has heard of the fabled Chidambara Ragasiyam.

Recently, a Singapore-bound Indian historian explained the Chidambara Ragasiyam as follows- the world around you is formed by your mindset. If you're happy, the things around you will make you happy, and vice versa.

This is especially true for the rasikas of Carnatic music. If they wish to see conspiracy theories where none exist and find fault with Organisations, that is EXACTLY what they'll see and nothing else.

Perhaps, if rasikas studied more of the actual Chidambara Ragasiyam and less of 'Ravikiran Jayanthi Kumaresh marriage' on Google (one of the top search results when I type Ravikiran's name on Google), they'd know this and change their viewpoint.

But, of course, some are Vishnu-incarnate (Porcine rasikas) and some are herded by Vishnu-incarnates (the Bovine rasikas), so YMMV.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The real ragasiyam of Chidambaram is - thats the real sabha, and what is meant by the word sabha! The golden kanaka sabha! Correctly some of the institutions have steered clear of that word - with Academy, Club or Arts suffixed to them!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Chidambaraa rahasyam is to be viewed in the light of panchabhutas. While the bhutas in the other kshetras are visible, akasa is not visible and it is all-pervasive. That is the secret. Atman is everywhere but nowhere to be seen, being the seer. Who can see the seer, it is not that which is seen but that which sees, are srutivakyas.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

In other words, if you want to see the atman which is always around you, you will be able to and vice versa. The same thing can be viewed from various perspectives and not just that of the philosophical.

I am given to understand there is a TV serial called Chidambara Ragasiyam- my Sister in law used to drive her Husband batty by playing it on a continuous loop (which was surprising, since that bloke was already extremely batty to begin with).