Carnatic Music und Voice Culture

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
melam72

Carnatic Music und Voice Culture

Post by melam72 »

The two biggest proponents of voice culture are Smt. Aruna Sayeeram and Sri. Kallidaikurichi Narasimha Iyengar Shashikiran.

If some organizer even accidentally calls them for a lec dem or some other talk, they harp on the importance of voice culture.

It is also no secret that both Smt. Aruna and Sri. Shashikiran have the two worst voices of Carnatic music. While Aruna's voice is unnaturally base and often breaks and goes off shruti, Shashikiran is incapable of singing open throatedly and bites his teeth continuously, making one wonder if the poor attendance of people at his concerts motivates the anger expressed through biting his teeth fevrently while singing.

Hence this post- can we, at Rasikas.org, post appropriate voice culture tips to students so that they aren't misled by such mediocre babblemouths?

Move this to the beginner's section if need be.

thenpaanan

Re: Carnatic Music und Voice Culture

Post by thenpaanan »

melam72 wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 14:54
It is also no secret that both Smt. Aruna and Sri. Shashikiran have the two worst voices of Carnatic music. While Aruna's voice is unnaturally base and often breaks and goes off shruti, Shashikiran is incapable of singing open throatedly and bites his teeth continuously, making one wonder if the poor attendance of people at his concerts motivates the anger expressed through biting his teeth fevrently while singing.

Hence this post- can we, at Rasikas.org, post appropriate voice culture tips to students so that they aren't misled by such mediocre babblemouths?

Move this to the beginner's section if need be.
I have not heard Smt Aruna talk about voice culture but I have seen the Youtube videos of "voice gym" from Shri Shashikiran (and Shri Ganesh). While I agree with you that the technique therein is perhaps not something to be emulated, the real problem is the paucity of any instruction at all in CM about voice technique. The fact that we have less than desirable standard here merely points to the immense vacuum that exists in this space. There are no real experts on voice technique in Carnatic music which is the real shame -- if you look on Youtube you will find a universe of instructional videos, many of which are very lucid and of high quality, for voice technique in western genres but not a single one for CM.

The one exception to this is Shri Suryaprakash who has an excellent youtube video (perhaps he has more than one) on voice technique in CM. But one video is not enough on its own. Perhaps it can be a starting point for what you ask for.

-T

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

thenpaanan wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 03:06 The one exception to this is Shri Suryaprakash who has an excellent youtube video (perhaps he has more than one) on voice technique in CM.
-T
T,
WHich one is that ? Link please. I just checked youtube i am not sure if i have the right link.

musictalentindia

Post by musictalentindia »

Culturing the voice differs for various genres of music. The voice culture in carnatic form might be difficult but it isn't any bad . The techniques are to be acquired properly to have a good command over your voice. And this is where many go wrong.
I'd add few things to be noted while singing:
* Learn the difference between singing openly and singing loudly. singing openly is where the voice comes from your abdomen, lungs and throat while singing loudly deals only with the throat.
Make sure your vocal chords are moist while you are singing. Especially during concerts . Keep drinking water at regular intervals.This would avoid the wear and tear of your voice.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

rajeshnat wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 08:25
thenpaanan wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 03:06 The one exception to this is Shri Suryaprakash who has an excellent youtube video (perhaps he has more than one) on voice technique in CM.
-T
T,
WHich one is that ? Link please. I just checked youtube i am not sure if i have the right link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o50PSSK-2E but it is entirely too short and there are no demonstrations in this particular video though I believe the singer has demonstrated elsewhere. We need more and longer videos. I believe the esteemed vidwAn is a member of this forum, perhaps he has made other such videos?

-T

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

musictalentindia wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 16:17Make sure your vocal chords are moist while you are singing. Especially during concerts. Keep drinking water at regular intervals.
On a lighter note: Trying to picture this anatomically - especially, since the epiglottis has evolved to prevent the said water from reaching the cords..... ;)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rshankar wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 22:04
musictalentindia wrote: 29 Sep 2017, 16:17Make sure your vocal chords are moist while you are singing. Especially during concerts. Keep drinking water at regular intervals.
On a lighter note: Trying to picture this anatomically - especially, since the epiglottis has evolved to prevent the said water from reaching the cords..... ;)
I had the same thought. More: if even the smallest drop of water was to make its way towards the vocal cords, the artist would be choking, not singing.

Anatomically, yes Doctor, musictalentindia is wrong, but is it a case of suggesting the right thing for the wrong reasons? Apart from general hydration, isn't it a good idea to keep the mouth and tongue moist and lubricated?

Nobody will ever have to hear me sing on stage (the religious should take a moment, here, to give thanks to their deity for that ;) ) but in my small morsing-playing experience, one of two things can happen: either a dried-out mouth, or a saliva-flooded mouth, and both are somewhat disastrous.