about 'wayback machine' archive

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
RSR

about 'wayback machine' archive

Post by RSR »

We have benefited much from archived materials from the web. One such site is 'wayback machine' It is an amazing feat and contribution. Decades back, yahoo offered free website facility as geocities and millions of people had their own website and placed articles, analysis and artistic materials and shared nice things. (Web sites are better than blogs in that we can arrange for direct access to the pages. unlike blogs arranged in stack fashion. As we all know, tribute2mssubbulakshmi facebook site has a companion blog site. containing much useful materials and photos and clips. at https://blog.msstribute.org/ . I am trying to create a webpage with links to blog posts there . May be useful. )
Now about Wayback Machine.
-------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Archive

A quote about its mission statement.
"Most societies place importance on preserving artifacts of their culture and heritage. Without such artifacts, civilization has no memory and no mechanism to learn from its successes and failures. Our culture now produces more and more artifacts in digital form. The Archive's mission is to help preserve those artifacts and create an Internet library for researchers, historians, and scholars".
Yahoo decided to remove the facility and Google stepped in. with sites.google.com.
The only drawback is that there is no help for embedded audio player.
Eminent members of this forum can suggest it to the CEO of Google. It will be a very useful tool. for sharing carnatic music. It is free.
The organization 'wayback engine' is now known as archive org. I think, we can upload audio files. Search mechanism may not be too easy unless we ourselves had uploaded with suitable tags.
Now comes this shocking passage in the above mentioned wiki page.

In August 2017, the Government of India blocked the Internet Archive along with other file-sharing websites, citing piracy concerns after copies of two Bollywood films were allegedly shared via the service.[152]

The concern seems more about preserving bollywood films than the treasure of HM and CM! Why not totally ignore/ ban video content in music sites?

Sachi_R

Re: about 'wayback machine' archive

Post by Sachi_R »

RSR,
Oh the angst of true concern for art and heritage. More power to your tribe, sir.

We used Archive.org for long to upload Parvathi concerts.
On reading your post, I simply googled:
Parvathi Mysore Madurai Somasundaram.

The second result of the search led me to this page. So, Allll Eeez Welllll as they say in Bollywood!

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

The site was blocked on the order of the Madras High Court. And I think given a choice between preserving CM music and Lipstick Under My Burkha, most people would prefer the latter. So just because YOU [or ANy eminent member of this forum] want it doesn't mean Sundar Pichai is going to action it :)

CM regardless of what people say / think is a very niche market. So we have to adapt to existing things rather than make others adapt. Sangeethapriya.org does that, why not use that?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sirs,
Please click on the links below, you can listen to these concerts on ARCHIVE.ORG, Way Back Machine website, no matter Madras High Court orders.
But quiet..... pssssssst.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=su ... 22audio%22

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Sachi_R wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 20:26 Sirs,
Please click on the links below, you can listen to these concerts on ARCHIVE.ORG, Way Back Machine website, no matter Madras High Court orders.
But quiet..... pssssssst.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=su ... 22audio%22
There was this big mess when trying to block it, some ISP's didn't, some blocked http but not https, etc etc. So whether you can access it or not depends on your ISP. Also the court only said for 7 days, not block it for ever.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

archive.org is vast. Some tiny corner of it may contain carnatic music, many other corners of this solid with an infinite number of sides contain a vast array of other things from all parts of the world. the wayback machine is one of its parts. It is certainly not blocked for me, so I suppose at least airtel doesn't block it.

RSR, if you want to be able to do anything [possible] that you want on your own website, buy a domain and some server space. Then you can.

PS... a bit of googling suggests that you can include audio on Google sites. I can't go further: I may be ex-techie-industry, but web work is something I never did (except for one small personal site) and even if I had, I'd be a decade out of date.
Last edited by Nick H on 27 Sep 2017, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sachi_R, MaheshS-> Very glad that the site is working well. Actually, Varsha-ji is giving many nice inks from archive.org. I have not tried it so far but am a beneficiary of wayback machine personally. ..However, kindly allow me to caution that there are news reports that the site is in financial crunch and we never know who acquires it and what will be 'their' policy. .. I think it will be prudent to save our music files in as many sites as possible. Sri.Mahesh has correctly mentioned a possible cause. With all people using smart phones of many designs, some of my friends say the links that I send work and a few say, they don't. and not infrequently, 'free' file storage sites seem to make the links inoperative. Google did provide an embedded audio player. It still is there but it does not seem to work in all smartphone models.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Nick-ji, it just struck me that many of the 'gifts', that this generation is using , are all 'free'. except the hardware. (mail, created websites, web pages,file-sharing, (news/rumour-sharing)...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Indeed, we do get a lot for free, and it does lead to expectation of more. I have been using Linux for quite a few years now, and find the idea of buying software quite unnatural! :oops: :lol:

However, I go on paying the annual dues for my domain, plus minimal web and mail hosting, even though I can be something@google for free.

Whether getting your own domain hosted is affordable or not will differ. To our high-flying American members, no problem (;)) --- but to the Indian retirees, it's quite an expense.