A Self Introduction to all members of Rasikas.org

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sjhhhtm

A Self Introduction to all members of Rasikas.org

Post by sjhhhtm »

I am Jay (Nickname) for Jayaraman - Retired, 77+ and still doing active research in Indian Cine Music of feature films in Hindustani, Tamil, Marathi, Urdu of the period, 1931-70. I had a huge library of 78 rpms which I sold off during 2014, since maintenance was difficult + repairs, lack of spares and technicians, etc. However, I have digitized plenty of them and uploaded them onto GCloud since mid 2013 in webm format.

Being a Tamilian, I was brought up and educated in a Convent School and to this day, I cannot read / write Tamil . I can understand and speak just ok. But I love old TFM

I make regular postings on Facebook and share them with like minded people.as well

Thus, I thought that sharing my posts with all members of rasikas.org would add colour in overall

If you find any mistakes or errors in my posts , kindly correct me accordingly.

Jay

27/9

sjhhhtm@gmail.com

( Kindly advise as to how do I upload any mp4 file directly or provide 'a link' otherwise )
=========================================================================
You can use my email address for contact as well

Sachi_R

Re: A Self Introduction to all members of Rasikas.org

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear Sri Jayaraman,
Namaskaram.

I share at least one thing in common, I also cannot read or write Tamil. In fact I am told repeatedly that I should say "Tamizh".

When I last checked, Google owned this world. Since you have a Gmail account, I suggest you upload your mp4s or m4as in drive.google.com and rightclick o the uploaded file name for getting the link to be shared. You can then paste it in emails, here and elsewhere.
It will allow you to upload several thousand audio files. You can group them by artiste, year, language, favourites etc. into folders.
Rough calculation: 3.8MB for one song of 4 minutes. 250 songs/GB. You can upload up to 15GB free (it includes all Google stuff like email, photos etc.)
By the way, you can upload videos in FB. and get links to share.
In case you wish to use Youtube, it is even better, as it will come up in searches, and works like magic. You can also add a BW photo. It is free. It can be accessed via the same gmail account.

All the best. Your passion and desire to share is inspiring.
Sachi R

RSR

Post by RSR »

Respected 'Jay' Sir, I am two years younger to you and , I too had about 200 choicest records ( all 78 rpm) of NCV , DKP and MS (of course), (though not so huge library as yours) . At some stage, even getting spares for turn tables became difficult. Fortunately, I got most of them transferred to audio cassettes. Subsequently, even cassette players developed trouble. and it was a big problem maintaining the 78 rpm plates. So, I gave them away to an 'antique' collector. To my regret , some of the rarest songs of N.C.Vasanthakokilam and even D.K.Pattammal, have simply vanished.and available as 78 rpm only in some some American University! If I am lucky, you may have some of those records. I will contact you by email. Archives can give result only if someone had uploaded the songs. But either the songs are locked up in gramaphone companies without even an index or in private collections. There is a huge generation gap. and the present uploaders from their family archived tapes may be comparative youngsters without full appreciation of what they are uploading.( We must be grateful that they are doing this much at least). . The period mentioned by you ( 1931-1961) is of particular interest to me. Sad that , very soon, all the great records will be lost for ever.
2) As Sri.Sachi has suggested, the best solution is to place them in Google Drive. All that you need is a gmail id. We can upload audio and video files. ( mp3, mp4a, wmv, avi). . We can have control over access . and share either publicly or among friends.
The songs from google drive can be embedded in google site pages easily so that the songs (in mp4 format) can be played without downloading. So, I would suggest that you create your own website ( google site) also. And share your treasures with all the rasikas in this forum.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Dear Jay and RSR,

I read with interest the collectionof records that you both have. I am the grandson of Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer and son of Rajam Pushpavanam. Will you, by chance, have any records of Madurai Pushpavanam? I have never heard his voice as he died very young.

Kind regards
Swaminathan

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

sjhhhtm wrote:
I have digitized plenty of them and uploaded them onto GCloud since mid 2013 in webm format.
Please post the link for this upload. Thanks.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sri.Swaminathan, If you are residing in Tamilnad, I think, I can locate atleast a few records required by you from a family which has such vintage records and then inform you. Kindly give me a month's time.
---------------------
Sri.Jayaraman, Kindly see my post on Archive of Indian Music(AIM). in this section. If you are already having mp3 or mp4 files of very old films in which famous musicians like Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, GNB, Musiri, Dandapani Desikar , KB Sundarambal acted and sang, it will be a great contribution if you can share with AIM.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Dear Sri RSR, I do reside now in Tamilnadu. I'd be very grateful if you can locate a few records. Thank you very much once again.
Regards

RSR

Post by RSR »

Dear Sri.Swaminathan,.. I am taking steps to get atleast one 'plate' of Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer. A few songs by Rajam Pushpavanam madam are available in youtube but nothing by her father. varsha_ji will be able to help us from his archives. I happened to get this wonderful glimpse of those years in Dr.Pasupathy's blog
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.in/search/l ... E%E0%AF%8D
திங்கள், 2 அக்டோபர், 2017
860. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 133
மதுரை புஷ்பவனம் அய்யர்
by ய.மகாலிங்க சாஸ்திரி
I think, it has a family photo supplied by you(?).
If you are already familiar with the blog entry, it will be of interest to others in the forum.
-----------------------------------
This is another writeup .
"t is also the home town of nagaswaram player P.S. Veerusamy Pillai, one of the three recipients of the Sangita Kalanidhi award of The Music Academy. Today, a music lover who visits this temple town is faced with a yawning emptiness as there is little that echoes from the glorious past. Music seems to have evaporated from the beautiful streets of Tiruvidaimarudur."
here we get a group photo of Sri.Pushpavanam and other greats.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 736014.ece

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Thank you very, very much Sri RSR.
I will be very or rather extremely, extremely happy to hear Sri Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer.

Sri Pasupathy has put in a nice blog post. He is maintaining history in there with many articles.
Dinamani Kathir also has the same article by Sri Mahalinga Sastry.
I can post a copy here.

And the Hindu Article with Madurai Pushpavanam in the photograph is one of those rare pictures of him.

Re: Rajam Pushpavanam Music...Sri VAK Ranga Rao had 7 of her 78 RPM records with him.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I have a very wague rememberance of connection between Shri Koteeswara Iyer family and Madurai PUshpavanam. If it is true Shri Somu of Veeramani's brother can be of some help.
Thanjavooran
06 10 2017

varsha

Post by varsha »

Re: Rajam Pushpavanam Music...Sri VAK Ranga Rao had 7 of her 78 RPM records with him.
If there is interest I can upload these 7 and few more ..

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

varsha wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 17:46
If there is interest I can upload these 7 and few more ..

I am very interested Sri Varsha.
Thank you.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

thanjavooran wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 16:58 I have a very wague rememberance of connection between Shri Koteeswara Iyer family and Madurai PUshpavanam. If it is true Shri Somu of Veeramani's brother can be of some help.
Thanjavooran
06 10 2017
That's interesting, if through Sri Koteeswara Iyer family a connection can be made.

varsha

Post by varsha »

The track descriptions are not yet verified corrected.
Someone please correct if there is a need , and post here.thanks in advance
http://www.mediafire.com/?pbpzv97db4mj1

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

varsha wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 06:50 The track descriptions are not yet verified corrected.
Someone please correct if there is a need , and post here.thanks in advance
http://www.mediafire.com/?pbpzv97db4mj1
Thank you very, very much Sri Varsha. I am very happy.
Have you heard her songs/music for the movie Rajasekharan? She had composed the music. If so can you share them also?

Do you, by chance, happen to have Sri Madurai Pushpavanam Iyer's songs too?

May I upload these songs in SoundCloud and YouTube?

Best Regards
VSN
PS: Haven't checked the track descriptions yet.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Have you heard her songs/music for the movie Rajasekharan?
No Sir.Will look up

My permission is there for my uploads.But I dont claim any right over any of these ,Ownership of tailend issues will rest with you.
These mediafire uploads too have only a life of a week or two.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Sri Varsha,

Will you have Rajam Pushpavanam's songs "Akshayalingavibho", Tamizh, Sankarabharanam and "Kasturi Thilakam", Sanskrit, Ragamalika?

Regards

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

varsha wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 08:03 Have you heard her songs/music for the movie Rajasekharan?
No Sir.Will look up

My permission is there for my uploads.But I dont claim any right over any of these ,Ownership of tailend issues will rest with you.
These mediafire uploads too have only a life of a week or two.
I have never heard my mother sing "gajama prema damana - kannada- misra" earlier. It was so wonderful to hear that.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

vsn69 wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 09:36 "Akshayalingavibho", Tamizh, Sankarabharanam
Is there one in tamizh?

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

rshankar wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 23:53
vsn69 wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 09:36 "Akshayalingavibho", Tamizh, Sankarabharanam
Is there one in tamizh?
Error.