ARCHIVE OF INDIAN MUSIC (AIM), SUPPORTED BY GOOGLE

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
RSR

ARCHIVE OF INDIAN MUSIC (AIM), SUPPORTED BY GOOGLE

Post by RSR »

May I share this link?
https://www.google.com/culturalinstitut ... dian-music
"Archive of Indian Music (AIM) is a private not-for-profit Trust that seeks to digitize and preserve old and rare gramophone records of our country. It is unfortunate that many of these rare records are on the verge of destruction and without timely action, these would be lost forever. The primary objective of AIM is to preserve the voices of our ancestors and make them easily and electronically available through an online portal for researchers, musicians, students of music and the public at large. The range of gramophone records that we restore is Hindustani and Carnatic classical music, Folk music, Early Cinema, Theatre, Speeches of great leaders of the country and voices of common Indians that were recorded starting 1902.
These tracks can be listened by all from the confines of their homes, free of cost, on the AIM website www.archiveofindianmusic.org. The Archive has also curated audio exhibitions ‘Voices of India’ in several cities of India like Bangalore, Delhi and Kolkata. AIM wishes to disseminate this information freely with everyone and thereby address the issue of accessibility to these rare treasures. The Archive has been established through the generous help of Mr. T.V. Mohandas Pai, Chairman of Manipal Global Education. It is the brain-child of Bangalore based author-historian and Sahitya Akademi award winner Vikram Sampath, who is its Founder Trustee along with Mr. Sampath Srinivasan and Smt H.N. Nagamani. Chethan Kumar is the Chief Technical Officer of AIM. The Archive would be grateful to receive your support in the form of monetary contributions or donation of old records. Register on our website and join us in this fascinating journey to preserve the rich cultural inheritance of India!

--------------------------------------
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 973848.ece
--------------------------------------
"Aimed at saving vintage recordings for future generations, the archive is an online museum of sorts with gramophone recordings spanning from 1902 to 1952 of legendry singers like Bhimsen Joshi, Devika Rani, Abdul Karim Khan, Hirabai Barodekar and Madurai Mani Iyer.

“It is an attempt to democratise the cultural heritage,” said Mr. Sampath.

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://archiveofindianmusic.org/
---------------------------------------------------
http://archiveofindianmusic.org/listing/

vsn69

Re: ARCHIVE OF INDIAN MUSIC (AIM), SUPPORTED BY GOOGLE

Post by vsn69 »

Thank you very much Sri RSR.
Best Regards

RSR

Post by RSR »

The topic AIM (Archive of Indian Music) has already been introduced by Sri.VIKRAM SAMPATH. in
https://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopi ... =2&t=19587
The following excerpt by Sri.Sapthagiri gives vary valuable insght into the value of those old 78 rpm records.
Worth quoting. '
"More over I am of the view, that these records, particularly the 78 RPM ones, bring out,to a great extent, the best in the Vidwans of yore, because of the time constraint ! Some of the Senior Vidwans who receive the Honours & Awards, had been and are still, past their prime and so their performances on the 78 rpms happen to be more representative of their original music than their performances at the time of being recognised by the institutions/Organisations etc.
Now, my question is --- Where do we stand when such songs are recorded in the Archives with reference to Copyrights
sapthagiri

Just today, visited the AIM website. I found only one song by NCV. I think, there are no copy rights issue as Saregama themselves have donated about 25 records to tube. It requires time and labour to send the songs to AIM and directly upload the songs to soundcloud also.
Why 78 rpm records of 1930-1950 are more valuable has been succinctly brought out by Sri.Sapthagiri.
Concert recodrrdings have their place as well as lengthy aalaapanaaas but short pieces of the golden decades have there own great value..... Archives like Sangeethapriya cannot meet those needs because of policy regarding 'copyright' issues.

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Sri RSR,
Do you know how are contributions made to this Archive? It has an impressive collection from YouTube and there are many more available.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sri.Jay Sir, May I request you to refer to an earlier thread initiated by AIM ? ( I have mentioned the link in this thread also). I have given a link to their page which lists a large number of eminent artistes of yore. You are one among the BEST persons to contribute from your vast store of mp3 and mp4 files. Shall I give the mail-id of the person to whom you can write? As AIM have modern equipment to improve the quality , it is better to send the files in small numbers gradually to them. . Many people who want to share the vintage records prefer to upload them to youtube. Many may not be aware of either soundcloud or archives. ( my case! only recently, I ;discovered')
Best Regards.