Heavy and Light moments in compositions

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

Heavy and Light moments in compositions

Post by shankarank »

I will start with this asking people's impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcU40xEDuo

What would people consider the most subtle/heavy moment in the rendition. Pick a spot/syllable.

I will put out my take after a while.

bala747

Re: Heavy and Light moments in compositions

Post by bala747 »

The anupallavi is a masterful construction, starting out with the description of the Lord's magnificent form, nutana nirada sariram, starting out in the lower octave and majestically rising to the thara stayi, before going to more gentle depictions of His form. This is repeated again in the madyamakala, describing his destruction of demons like Putana (putanadi samharam), and then the gentle 'sitalahrudaya vihaaram' (He lives in the hearts of the good) finally into "sri rukmini daaram".

The charanam almost everyone butchers, bringing in phrases from Sahana unnecessarily at 'nalinapatra nayanam'. Glad this version didn't commit that blunder.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

(apologies if my answer was completely off topic. I wasn't sure what you meant by "heavy" and "light").

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The first pregnant moment for me occurs when they sing "cintitARtha" at the point of take off .

1. Off beat 2. two ikArams , interspersed with a nakAram - the effect of reduced sound emission on..-> 3. a gamaka filled madyamam? - I cannot even think of the right note - I may be woefully wrong.

Something alluded to here: https://youtu.be/zrqTMjY_kxc?t=65

<<Fixed>> I checked some sites that had it as cintitArdha - which is wrong - I further made a mess by capitalizing. Confirmed from kriti maNi mAlai (by RRI).
Last edited by shankarank on 25 Oct 2017, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

shankarank wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 19:14"cintitARDha"
cintitArDha (चिन्तितार्ढ)? Should be cintitArtha (चिन्तितार्थ) AFA I can tell.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

rshankar wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 21:20 cintitArDha (चिन्तितार्ढ)? Should be cintitArtha (चिन्तितार्थ) AFA I can tell.
Latter is correct fixed.