Construction of a world class auditorium at Thiruvaiyyaru

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Thiruvaiyyaru , being the birth place of Saint Tyagaraja , and an important place in the music of south India , occupies a place of pride in the hearts of those initiated into CM . It would be a great gift to Saint Tyagaraja , the town Thiruvaiyyaru , and singers , rasikas , if there is a world class auditorium ( similar to MA ) at Thiruvaiyyaru . Are there any proposed projects / has there been any contemplation on this matter before ? With the concerted efforts of rasikas , musicians and patrons , this could be achieved .

Regards
Ratan Abhinav

bhakthim dehi

Re: Construction of a world class auditorium at Thiruvaiyyaru

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Let us s not disturb Saint's adhishtanam and that small town.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The aradhana that is going on for maybe a hundred years is unique and world class.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes. With this, we have to deal with 'world class' hotels, eateries and so on :( Let the place be, as it is--enough, it's being bombarded once a year! This way, the mecca of CM can stay unrivaled :) and we can keep at least a shred of the ambience of the old place, hoping to catch a spiritual moment in the home town of Tyagaraja ?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ratanbhairav
Just in case you did not know , there is a sprawling Panchanadiswarar temple in tiruvayaru. Some foundation forgot the name has been already conducting the festival in the world class auditorium . I recollect aruna sairam , chitravina ravikiran and other non carnatic music concerts were held . As such there is already a world class auditorium - panchanadiswarar temple - no need for a bullet train project

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

rajeshnat wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 07:48 Ratanbhairav
Just in case you did not know , there is a sprawling Panchanadiswarar temple in tiruvayaru. Some foundation forgot the name has been already conducting the festival in the world class auditorium . I recollect aruna sairam , chitravina ravikiran and other non carnatic music concerts were held . As such there is already a world class auditorium - panchanadiswarar temple - no need for a bullet train project
Hmm , yes I agree

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Why?

Why?

Why?

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

The saint's house in Thirmanjana veedhi has already been "renovated" beyond recognition. Now they want to do the same to his village too !

I am reminded of an old tamil movie in which a street dramatist staging Ramayana questions visiting Valmiki "நீ தான் அதை எழுதின கோமாளியா. நான் அதை எத்தினிவாட்டி அடிச்சு திருத்தி இருக்கேன் தெரியுமா?"

varsha

Post by varsha »

Why?
Why?
Why?
if there is a world class auditorium ...
the best world class auditorium for cm is a small space , opening on the insides. the keys of which ....
well listen on
https://archive.org/details/Antharangad ... alaDAsaRKS

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

The place should left with the same kind of ambience and inconveniences for the following reasons:
1. Sitting in an auditorium is a different experience. Sitting in the sand with commoners and listening to music is different. If you try to traslate it into economical terms the sanctity of the place will go. Some of the fellow consumers I have found are erudite scholars with deep knowledge in carnatic music. That is why big sabha vidwans do not get claps so easily there if they do not perform well but if a third page artiste performs he gets a big clap.
2. The place is already a heap of huge garbage which the town manages to clear in the following days. It definitely can not manage more crowd and the resultant garbage.
3. About 40 years back when I went I had a bath in the crystal clear water of Kaveri. About three years back when I went it was a mixure of gutter and unhygenic water not qualified for consumption either interanlly or externally by any being. More crowd now will only add to the woes with more garbage in the river.
4. Real estate prices will boom and it will become more urbanized and the little greenary will disappear. Dust will replace pure air.
5. Local populace eaking out good income during araadhana will suffer. The idlis served by grannys in thatched houses will be more hygenic than 5 star hotel stuff. These will disappear.
6. We are great history lovers no doubt; that is why I am uanable to take the name of panchanadheeswarar temple. In the name of sand blasting all the beautiful sculptures will be disfigured. Painting will be done in eastmen colors like the sets of T.Rajender's movie. Only 'machi vengaaya bajji' will echo in our ears than 'nidhi chaala sugamaa' when we visit the temple.
Please do not suggest anything to the present rulers; they may invent some way of making money and start the work right away!
Better infrastruture is required for sanitation and toilets. Probably the managers of the event can concentrate more on this.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

As we Indians have shown time and again, building something is not an issue at all.

Maintaining it is.

Give it a year, and you'll find people urinating against the walls of this "World class auditorium", and "offering" empty chips packets, used paper plates and empty cola cans to Thyagaraja's portrait.

Am I being crude? Yes but I don't think it's unjustified.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Bala747:

visit the Sabha Trimoorthi in Madras - Narada Gana Sabha, Music Academy, and Raga Sudha. The halls are beautifully maintained and taken care of despite the fact that us Indians are using it so regularly.

We should just pull down a few temples/mosques in the Thanjavur Delta to set an example on the importance of preserving ancient structures. Break a few eggs to make an omlette

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Bala747 is spot on.

The halls just mentioned are good. They are used all the time. Even so, so soon after refurbishment, NGS Mini has broken chairs.

A hall which is used for one week in a year? And occupied by mammals, reptiles, birds, and possibly even the less desirable of humans for the other 51? Year 1, it will be great. Year 2... Not so much. And even if it is locked and sealed those social undesirables, dust, mould, etc, will move in.

By the way... Credit where it is due... I went to Adyar Poonga last week. It is clean, pristine and beautiful. The works of politicians are not all bad. :)

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

bala747 wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 12:13 As we Indians have shown time and again, building something is not an issue at all.

Maintaining it is.

Give it a year, and you'll find people urinating against the walls of this "World class auditorium", and "offering" empty chips packets, used paper plates and empty cola cans to Thyagaraja's portrait.

Am I being crude? Yes but I don't think it's unjustified.
Yes I agree , absolutely . Preservation of the original heritage and aura of the bard's town is much more important .
But , I had given it ( construction of an auditorium ) a small thought , but no , it isn't going to gel well and it would be much better the way it is presently.

Regards

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Let the present system continue. Though not relevant to this thread I share the following. In late 50' s (after the demise Bangalore Narathinam ) there used to be two venues where homage to St T took place. One at St T 's samadhi and the other at Kalyanamahal. We used to shunt between these two. IIRC after the intervention of GKM , BMK and AKC this was sorted out. Our learned forumites may throw more light on this.
Thanjavooran
25 10 2017

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

:o :o :o Oh poor Thyagaraja. He is simply dreading year after year when the so called musicians flock in the month of January to sing the pancharatnams on the anniversary date. This venue has become more of a fashion show where ladies exhibit their silk sarees and jewelry along with the most apaswaram music that one can listen to.

Why another multi million dollar auditorium there to screw up the serene surroundings ????

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

None is in favour of the suggestion.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Rattanbhairav has accepted the general mood. Further discussion can perhaps cease.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes. It is nice to see someone have an idea, take in the responses, and conclude that maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick H wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 17:43 Yes. It is nice to see someone have an idea, take in the responses, and conclude that maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.
A refreshing, and mature way of handling ideas, instead of trying so hard to defend the indefensible!! :)